Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: BIRMINGHAM PUBS as is and was

#106 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:59 pm

June

Heres one that will give your age away, do you remember this enormous outdoor on the corner of Spark St and Long St opposite the Warwick pub. The back yard would be about where our Davids house was before he moved to Wythall.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

#107 by toady , Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:37 pm

I didn't know the Moonraker had gone but I haven't had a reason go down road in recent years.

Re the outdoor don't remember that oops had to move quickly! Do you remember the little shop just past Spark Street "Bakers"
then there was the other outdoor just past King Street.

We had our wedding reception at the Three Magpies. Posh eh!

toady  
toady

Founder Member
Date registered 01.11.2010

#108 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:02 pm

June

I don't remember Bakers there again, we used Miles's and Creswell's in Larches St. I do remember the little outdoor just up the road from the big one. Strange that two outdoors next to each other. Perhaps the smaller one was to replace the bigger one. Did you ever spend a summer night in the beer garden at the Warwick or go to one of the Friday night dances at the Stratford Arms in Kyrwicks Lane?

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#109 by toady , Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:32 pm

I remember little Mrs Miles and her son Jack, sometimes I went behind the counter to serve you could buy loose ciggies, once or twice went to the Warwick, I suppose I was lucky Alan had a car so we used to go a bit further a field we used to go to the Flur de Lye at Lowsenford they used to have a big log fire in the winter.

toady  
toady

Founder Member

#110 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:39 pm

June

As you will know there was no shortage of cars in our house, but we liked to use some of the local pubs as well as the ones further out. There were some good local dances, the Stratford was one and the Mermaid was another. Mind you I don't think any of them lasted very long because of the fights and trouble. But there again what was a good dance without a fight at the end of it?

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#111 by toady , Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Phil Did you go to the West End and Locarno and I think it was called Dolca Vita Smallbrook Ringway, My uncle was the steward of the Royal British Legion St Johns Road Sparkhill I remember going there when I was younger for New Years Eve shouting "New Years In" all the way back to his house in Fernley Road Sparkhill it took ages as people would invite you in especially if you had black hair and a piece of coal, I don't think you would invite a stranger in your house now.

toady  
toady

Founder Member

#112 by Sheldonboy , Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:21 pm

June I went to La Dolce Vita many times. It was a really good place I thought. I walked seven miles home more than once.

Brummies Talking....... Get the Buzz
Visitors copy this link.. http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#113 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:30 pm

June

Yes I did The Locarno, The West End, La Dolce Vita and a lot of other less salubrious early venues and night clubs another old favourite was The Tower. But my nightclubbing and dance hall days were over by the end of the 60's. My wife saw to that. I was restricted to working mens social clubs and pubs after that.

I used the Balsall Heath Labour Club, The Brunswick Club and Tindal St Old Boys on Moseley Road all next door to each other. I used the Post Office Club in town, The Railway Club in Nechells, Tyseley Working Mans Club, The Grange Club, Acocks Green, The Conservative Club Revsby Walk Nechells, The Gardeners Club Small Heath. Plus a whole lot of other clubs that I could go on all night mentioning. Thats without starting on the pubs, and there wasn't one pub that I used that I couldn't get locked in at the end of the night.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#114 by astoness , Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:42 pm

phil..have you got these two..found them today..

the angel inn...stratford road..dated 1870

i think the second one will be of more interest to you

Attached pictures:

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#115 by Sheldonboy , Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:04 pm

I pass The Angel every day, it's in a bit of a sorry state. It's having a lot of work done to it, it's just had a big building attached to the rear of it, possibly a Mosque I must say I don't know for sure. SB

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#116 by astoness , Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:12 pm

so its still there SB...dont surpose you could get a pic of it one day when yer passing.....pleeeeeeese..[Skipping Happy]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#117 by Sheldonboy , Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:28 pm

How can I refuse you.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#118 by toady , Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:20 pm

The Angel was on the corner of Ladypool Road can anyone remember the name of the pub on the corner of Long St/Stratford Road?

toady  
toady

Founder Member

#119 by astoness , Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:09 pm

ahh thanks SB...will look forward to seeing the pic..[Big Smile]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#120 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:15 pm

June

It was the Vic (Victoria) it closed a few years back. Then it had the obligatory fire, then it was rebuilt as a police station. I suppose because of the fighting between the different Somali tribes each night. Thats why David and his family moved out of the area after 68 years. He was a regular in the Vic until it closed and then he moved to the Angel until that closed as well. I think this might have been another reason for moving out of the district. Here is a photo of the Vic after the fire.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
phil

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor