Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: BIRMINGHAM PUBS as is and was

#61 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun May 09, 2010 3:59 pm

Mike

Was it built as late as that? It looks decidedly Victorian.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#62 by toady , Sun May 09, 2010 4:02 pm

Phil
Only went in once one lunch time didn't like it preferred the Fox & Grapes, remember going there from work one Friday someone was leaving went in by knocking the window before it opened still there after it closed.

toady  
toady

Founder Member
Date registered 01.11.2010

#63 by mikejee , Sun May 09, 2010 4:24 pm

sorry everyone. Delete that answer. for soem reason an earlier post came up when i thought i had got the latest post, and i was answering that.

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#64 by mikejee , Sun May 09, 2010 4:31 pm

BUT
Now talking about the Woodman. According to McKenna it was built in 1897. If there is still a white vinyl bench in the corner of the smoke room. Then this is where Peter Sutcliffe used to sit twice a week with his trucker mates.
mike

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#65 by Voltman , Mon May 10, 2010 8:35 pm

It would seem everywhere has a story, if the right people are on hand to tell it.

The place is looking very smart in this fairly recent google walk.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=U...,197.67,,0,-3.9

VM

"Cats are a mysterious kind of folk. There is more passing in their minds than we are aware of." Sir Walter Scott

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#66 by toady , Wed May 19, 2010 3:40 pm

Another one bites the dust, came past the Rose & Crown Portway and it is all fenced off.

toady  
toady

Founder Member

#67 by Sheldonboy , Wed May 19, 2010 3:42 pm

Thanks for the news they are dropping like fies.

Arguing with an idiot is like teaching a pig to sing. It's a waste of your time, and it only annoys the pig!

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#68 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon May 24, 2010 4:46 pm

June

Never having used the Rose & Crown I don't suppose I will miss it much although I am always sorry to see a pub close, was it one of your locals? I can understand it not doing too well out there. It's got too much competition and its fighting a loosing battle with too many country pubs offering the same service.

A pub needs an angle today, it seems the days of just opening the doors and letting the public pour in money in hand are gone.

Well you never know it might resurface in a couple of months as another Harvester or Bernie.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#69 by toady , Tue May 25, 2010 1:29 pm

Phil

Rose & Crown used to be really nice haven't been in the last few years I read on the Internet that the food was awful and telling people not go.

The next pub along on the A435 is the Cross and Bowling Green, a lot of farmers used to use it, now the front of the pub is still a pub and the room at the back is now an Indian restaurant can't remember what it is called but I have heard good reports, haven't been my husband doesn't like indian food.

Oh! my son went to the Dog (Harvester) last week wasn't really impressed with the food, so maybe we have just been lucky when we have been there, which Harvester did you go to the one on the Stratford Road at Monkspath?

Talking about the Stratford Road we went to the Plough a couple of times last year again we had no complaints.

June

toady  
toady

Founder Member

#70 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue May 25, 2010 2:01 pm

June

I like this idea of pubs converting to Indian Restaurants whilst still maintaining a bar. Lets face it without the pubs curry houses would have never taken off in England. I don't think that most of them would do much trade without the pubs today.

Quite a few pubs down the old end have converted to curry houses. As I say as long as they keep a bar open and the license going then it is OK, but I don't like seeing them converted to Restaurant's only.

Couldn't hubby have a steak, whilst I would normally eat a curry in a curry house I have to be honest and say that I have occasionally had a better steak in a curry house than I would have got in an English place.

As for the Harvester, June I think it was a one of, because if they were all like that one then they wouldn't last long. It wasn't the food that was eatable it was just the presentation and service that was appalling. I have used the Dog before it became a Harvester and to be honest It would have had to fall down quite a bit to reach the level of the place in Hockley Heath.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#71 by toady , Tue May 25, 2010 2:47 pm

Phil

Do you remember the Warwickshire Lad I know it changed its name a couple of times since then but I think that is now an indian, and also the pub at Ullenhall can't think what that is called is also an indian now.

Have been told that the Three Maypoles that was (I know that changed its name a few times ) is now a very nice steak house have you tried it as its in your neck of the woods?

June

toady  
toady

Founder Member

#72 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue May 25, 2010 9:06 pm

June

Its not a pub I have ever been in, we stopped there one Sunday a lot of years back but we couldn't get a table so we continued on to the Red Lion. One of my favourite places for a quick meal, but they went all up market and spoiled it. If you are going to pay up market prices then you want the service and surroundings to go with it. We have never been back since.

By the way the Three Maypoles became the Pickwick and now it is called the Cheswick Green Inn.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#73 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue May 25, 2010 9:11 pm

Right you Sheldon layabouts, locate this pub for me. I have no idea where it is, but as it says Coleshill on the signpost it must be in your neck of the woods somewhere. It's called the Griffin Inn.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

#74 by Sheldonboy , Tue May 25, 2010 9:28 pm

Phil the Griffin Inn, if it still there is the other side of Coleshill from us. from the Coleshill island (Police Station) cross over Coleshill High Sreet follow the road past Furnace end. It's on a sharp bend in that general direction. Towards Whitacre Heath I think. Best I could do.

Arguing with an idiot is like teaching a pig to sing. It's a waste of your time, and it only annoys the pig!

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#75 by Voltman , Wed May 26, 2010 10:09 pm

You have it SB.

It's hardly changed, but still not how I remember it.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=U...0,0.008245&z=18

VM

"Nothing is more dangerous than an idea when it is the only one you have." Emile-Auguste Chartier

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 05.26.2010 | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Good News For A Pint Or Two

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor