Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: BIRMINGHAM PUBS as is and was

#256 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:17 pm

The White Swan Bradford St - Birchall St, it's been many a year since I have been in there. Why are you going there, I wouldn't have thought it that nice a place now, there again I don't know anything about it other than it must be pretty quiet at night as there is nothing around it.

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

#257 by Sheldonboy , Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:01 pm

Phil the White Swan is a nice well run Irish pub these days. Just up the road from The Anchor, both pubs are well reccomened by CAMERA.

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#258 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:17 am

Sorry SB recommended by CAMERA says it all for me, perhaps because I've never been a beer drinker in my life. Back when I was a drinker the pubs that were recommended by CAMERA were full of sandal wearing bearded types and I tried to avoid them.

Phil

phil

#259 by signman ( deleted ) , Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:46 am

Camra sends guys to our pub Phil, and they all come in wanting their little cards stamped,sad ,and as you say mostly bearded and sandalled, some even bring their own pewter tankards, get a life guys.

signman

#260 by Voltman , Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:05 am

Signman, don't be so cruel. It's only like train spotting or radio CQDXing, except it's in pubs.
Must bring the pub some good income as well, especially at £4 or more per pint.

And it is spelt CAMRA, SB and Phil please take note. http://www.camra.org.uk/

I hate unfinished sente

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 06.17.2012 | Top

#261 by signman ( deleted ) , Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:47 pm

Volty, they only have one pint and they are off,and their first question before " CAN WE HAVE OUR CARD STAMPED" is "WHAT'S THE CHEAPEST"
I don't wish to make fun of them, but they are up there with Morris Dancers as the saddest bunch of folks I know.

signman

#262 by Sheldonboy , Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:17 pm

Posted by phil
Sorry SB recommended by CAMERA says it all for me, perhaps because I've never been a beer drinker in my life. Back when I was a drinker the pubs that were recommended by CAMERA were full of sandal wearing bearded types and I tried to avoid them.

Phil

As you said Phil you havn't been in for years. I have been in many times and never seen people like that.
CAMERA have at least helped many of our older pubs to survive. The White Swan is a good old pub as is The Anchor. As we know these places are getting few and far between. It's no good moaning opnce they shut down.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#263 by astoness , Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:21 pm

Posted by Sheldonboy

Posted by phil

Phil

As you said Phil you havn't been in for years. I have been in many times and never seen people like that.
CAMERA have at least helped many of our older pubs to survive. The White Swan is a good old pub as is The Anchor. As we know these places are getting few and far between. It's no good moaning opnce they shut down.

I agee SB..we have lost far too many....

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#264 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:30 pm

SB

Its speak as you find and I always found CAMRA types to be like I described. I agree about keeping pubs open but don't think it should be down to the type of building alone. I have seen some good pubs allowed to run down just to allow breweries to close them without much opposition.

One of my old locals The Talbot at the top of Larches Street was closed for what I think was the simple reason they must have been given a good deal by the council when they wanted to redevelop Highgate Rd. The Talbot was full seven nights a week and always did a roaring trade, the same with Fred's Café over the road, if they hadn't forced Fred out he wouldn't have moved for a million pounds. The thing is what hurts the most both sites still stand empty today getting on for forty years after demolition

phil
Last edited Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:32 pm | Top

#265 by signman ( deleted ) , Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:21 am

Freds cafe brilliant place,they should have put his tea urn in the museum.

signman

#266 by Sheldonboy , Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:41 am

Posted by phil
SB

Its speak as you find and I always found CAMRA types to be like I described. I agree about keeping pubs open but don't think it should be down to the type of building alone. I have seen some good pubs allowed to run down just to allow breweries to close them without much opposition.

One of my old locals The Talbot at the top of Larches Street was closed for what I think was the simple reason they must have been given a good deal by the council when they wanted to redevelop Highgate Rd. The Talbot was full seven nights a week and always did a roaring trade, the same with Fred's Café over the road, if they hadn't forced Fred out he wouldn't have moved for a million pounds. The thing is what hurts the most both sites still stand empty today getting on for forty years after demolition

As you said Phil, speak as you find. You also said that you havn't been in the White Swan for years. So It's not fair to make a judgement.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#267 by Brumlad , Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:12 pm

Back in the 60's I used the Crown at Digbeth - had a 'folk club' there plus a supply of 'whacky baccy'. Not that I ever used any - honestly. Some famous names appeared there before they became famous - such as Esther & Abi Offarim - and before they faded back into obscurity.

Paul

Brumlad  
Brumlad
Date registered 06.02.2012

#268 by Sheldonboy , Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:15 pm

a lot of cash has been spent on the Old Crown in recent years. It's now a restaurant and hotel.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#269 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:27 am

We supplied skips to the Crown when Sapcote's refitted it in the 80's. We even tendered for some of the gutting out work, but got beaten on price.

phil

#270 by Voltman , Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:30 am

Does gutting out only involve the removal of recently added materials or would there have been original features in those skips?

I hate unfinished sente

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Good News For A Pint Or Two

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor