Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Makes me feel almost home.

#1 by Brumlad , Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:05 pm

Came across this site when I was looking for images of where I lived as a (VERY) young lad - Gerrard Street when it was still 'back-to-back houses in the late 40's/early 50's. It's nice to see Brummies 'sticking together' - even if I do live on the other side of the Pond now.

Brumlad  
Brumlad
Date registered 06.02.2012

RE: Makes me feel almost home.

#2 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:53 pm

Hi Brumland

Welcome to you, why you would want to change a lovely location such as Lozells for the US escapes me (you do remember what irony is now you're a Yank don't you?). You will have to have word with Lyn as she hails from that side of town. Settle in and I hope you enjoy your time with us.

Phil

phil

#3 by Sheldonboy , Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:02 pm

Hi Brumlad nice of you to join us, you will always be made welcome on this site. Our members are very friendly and informative, even if you don't ask anything. Please enjoy Brummies Talking and come back as often as you like. (How long have you been away)?. Sheldonboy.

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#4 by astoness , Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:18 pm

Hi Brumlad and a warm welcome...unless you have already seen these pics click on the "All Things Birmingham" board and scroll down until you come to a thread I started called ASTON/NEWTOWN/LOZELLS PICS.
I have posted many photo's of the surrounding streets around Gerrard that you may find of interest..think I may have one or two of Gerrard St. which I will post on the thread tomorrow for you.. oh by the way I was born in my nans back to back in Paddington St., moving to Villa St. at the age of 5 so this is my neck o the woods..

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 06.04.2012 | Top

#5 by signman ( deleted ) , Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:54 am

Morning Brumlad,and welcome.
When I was at Moseley Art school one of my mates came from Gerrard Street Tony Hancock,(not he of TV fame).
Whereabouts in the States are you ?.

signman

#6 by Brumlad , Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:22 pm

WOW! What a welcome! Thanks to everyone.
We moved from Lozells in about '54 to the Maypole area - I remember celebrating the Queen's coronation in '53 at the street party.
I moved to the States in '06 following the death of my first wife and live just outside Baltimore. Miss pork pies and real beer and real bread and... the list goes on! ;-)
I have seen some of your photo's, Astoness, and look forward to seeing some more - what a 'blast from the past'!
Paul

Brumlad  
Brumlad

#7 by astoness , Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:14 pm

hi brumlad so you have only recently moved accross the pond then..unfortunately i dont think i have any old pics of the maypole area but phil who has a larger collection than i do may have some if you let him know what roads or streets you are after i am sure he will be happy to help if he can..were you bought up at the maypole then....ive posted 3 pics for you under the aston/lozells pics thread..just to make you feel more at home on our little forum here is a pie and a pint for you...[Big Smile]

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#8 by astoness , Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:16 pm

heres yer pork pie blumlad

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#9 by astoness , Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:19 pm

sorry brumlad cant seem to upload the pork pie...[Little LOL]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#10 by Brumlad , Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:37 pm

Ah well, thank's for the pint of Banks's. I guess I shall have to wait for the pork pie 'til I come over. Yes, I have only been over here (full time) for some 6 years, but I was coming over on a regular basis for about 10 years prior to that because of my work.
We lived at the Maypole (Moundsley Grove) until I was about 15 when my parents moved to Northfield (Pamela Road) and lived THERE until I moved out.

Brumlad  
Brumlad

#11 by Sheldonboy , Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:47 pm

Cop this for a pork Pie
Enjoy this Brummielad

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

Last edited 06.04.2012 | Top

#12 by Brumlad , Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:58 pm

Ahh. That's almost cruel! You can buy themn from importers over here, but they're expensive and have to be shipped by airmail in freezer bags. [Sob Story]

Brumlad  
Brumlad

#13 by Sheldonboy , Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:00 pm

One thing missing, a very important addition ENGLISH MUSTARD.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#14 by Brumlad , Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:09 pm

Now that I CAN get, there's an 'off licence' near me that sometimes sells Old Speckled Hen too, but it's hard to get the REAL 'staples' for a ploughmans like ham on the bone and Branstons Pickle. [Crying]

Brumlad  
Brumlad

#15 by Sheldonboy , Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:17 pm

What about Cheddar Cheese and baby pickled onions?

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor