Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Makes me feel almost home.

#46 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:43 pm

A Balti House might do well out there, I've heard that a couple of US stars send their private jets to collect Balti's from the Balti Triangle down Stoney Lane & Ladypool Rd. It's something I've never eaten and I still prefer a traditional curry or if I am in a curry house I will suffer a Dansak or a Madras.

phil

#47 by Brumlad , Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:00 pm

As I said, I'm not a fan of curries at all - I know, I know, "How can I call myself a 'Brummie' and NOT like curries. But there you are. Mind you, I used to cook them occasionally for my first wife when she was alive, but not since then.

Brumlad  
Brumlad
Date registered 06.02.2012

Last edited 12.05.2012 | Top

#48 by Sheldonboy , Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:54 pm

A curry house I will always remember, from the 1970's was the Kashmir. It was at the old Swan shopping centre
on the Coventry Road side it was enormous. the place was usually full, But Jim the big black doorman always managed to get a table for us.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
and I'm not sure about the former.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#49 by Voltman , Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:02 pm

Quote: phil wrote in post #42
Volty

I can understand the fact that you would want to disguise the taste of some steaks these days because to be honest some of it is complete rubbish and must come from old cows that have been slaughtered because they are no longer producing milk. Though it is still possible to get some decent cuts if you know where to get it. It helps if you have a brother who is a butcher with his own shop.

Phil, our local butcher is very good and rarely disappoints.
I could argue that if you have anything else on your plate then you are spoiling your own steak.

My Saturday night treat is a massive fillet steak. I cook it on top of a crispy slice of bacon with loads of blue Stilton melting on the top.
Fillet is not the strongest tasting steak but I like it and it isn't the only item on my plate.
I roast potatoes, parsnips and Chantenay carrots in herbs and ginger, along with asparagus wrapped in Serrano ham.

http://www.gutenberg.org/
Latest Posts

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 12.05.2012 | Top

#50 by Sheldonboy , Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:05 pm

Quote: Voltman wrote in post #49
Quote: phil wrote in post #42
Volty

I can understand the fact that you would want to disguise the taste of some steaks these days because to be honest some of it is complete rubbish and must come from old cows that have been slaughtered because they are no longer producing milk. Though it is still possible to get some decent cuts if you know where to get it. It helps if you have a brother who is a butcher with his own shop.

Phil, our local butcher is very good and rarely disappoints.
I could argue that if you have anything else on your plate then you are spoiling your own steak.

My Saturday night treat is a massive fillet steak. I cook it on top of a crispy slice of bacon with loads of blue Stilton melting on the top.
Fillet is not the strongest tasting steak but I like it and it isn't the only item on my plate.
I roast potatoes, parsnips and Chantenay carrots in herbs and ginger, along with asparagus wrapped in Serrano ham.

We had a cat called Ginger

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#51 by Brumlad , Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:15 pm

Another good way to do filet mignon - sear it on top in some butter in an oven proof pan until brown. Then put it in an oven at about 180 C for about 12 - 15 minutes. After about 10 minutes saute some mushrooms in a pan with a bit of butter and then stir in some marsala wine, keep stirring until it's thickened slightly, or the steaks are done. Serve the steaks w9ith some mashed potato and green beans, spoon the mushrooms over the steaks and pour the thickened juice from them over the lot. Delicious.

Brumlad  
Brumlad
Date registered 06.02.2012

#52 by Sheldonboy , Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:23 pm

That sounds good too brummy.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
New Members

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor