Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Holders Pubs in Birmingham,

#91 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:52 pm

Lynn

An excerpt from one of Carl Chinns books, I dont know if you have seen this little write up. Just click on the images and you will be able to read it.

Phil

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil
Last edited Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:53 pm | Top

#92 by Stirling Single , Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:55 pm

Hi Phil,
Good to see you back again.

No I hadn't seen these two pages of Carl Chinns and thank-you for them.

If you are interested in looking at the Arthur Lloyd site I've been privilidged to have my 8 tokens and 2 programmes put on there and been credited with them. Under the Holders Concert Hall section.

Take care of yourself,

Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single
Date registered 03.12.2011

#93 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:40 pm

I'm fine now Lynn, but thanks anyway. I'll take a peek at the Arthur Lloyd site, but I'm not a fan of the site as its lists Birmingham under "more provincial theatres" and not on the front page like other lesser Cities with a less number of theatres.

Phil

phil

#94 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:30 pm

Lynne

I see you pop on from time to time, was this J C Holder one of your Holders, I got the advert from a page lyn posted on another forum in relation to something else. i just noticed this over in the other corner and thought it might interest you. I hope you can read it, the date on the Birmingham newspaper it comes from is March 9th 1891. You might have to zoom it back to about 50%.

Phil

Attached pictures:
phil
Last edited Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:38 pm | Top

#95 by Stirling Single , Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:55 pm

Yes Phil, This is indeed the same Sir John Charles Holder of Holder's Concert/Music Hall and Holder's Midland Brewery and lived at Pitmaston House, Moor Geen Lane, Moseley - He raised money and gave of his time for The New General Hospital - The Triennial Musical Festivals were another way in which he raised money.
Involvement in Edgbaston Old Church, Cannon Hill Park,gifted land, Moseley Church,the steel bells, Birmingham University, stained glass window, St.Andrews Stadium, Christ's Hospital School, are some of the things that he was involved in.
Thanks for finding this for me.
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#96 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:23 pm

Lynn

I'm only sorry it isn't clearer, perhaps if I post the whole page you might be able to take a better clipping.

Phil

Attached pictures:
phil

#97 by mikejee , Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:35 pm

In passing, doing something for another forum I found this, showing Arthur Lloyd played the Holders music hall. I expect you have it, but just in case not, from Bir. Post 7.7.1862

Attached pictures:
mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#98 by Stirling Single , Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:57 pm

Hi Phil,
Thanks for the thought of sending the whole page - I took it off with Paint.NET but it came up just about the same as the way you originally sent it but good try. Although not very clear to read I can read it well enoughto get most of the words so no worries.
Will have to get back on the site more often.
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#99 by Stirling Single , Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:03 pm

Hi Mike,
This is a very nice little snippet connecting Arthur Lloyd with Holder's Music Hall - thatI have not got - and will be pleased to add it to my collection.
Very many thanks for that.
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#100 by mikejee , Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:12 am

Lynn
Came across this praise of Holders music hall in a letter to the Birm Post of 19.8.1862,

Attached pictures:
mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member

#101 by Stirling Single , Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:27 pm

A very interesting and amuzing little article to read Mike. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Also thanks for giving me the Newspaper and date details. I think you so know how I like to record all the details of any stories, like this, that I collect.
Many thanks for thinking of me when you came across it.
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#102 by mikejee , Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:32 pm

Lynn
There is another i have come across again from the Birm. Post of 1.9.1862 (i am going through it day by day for the period 150 years ago) in which a Madam Lauretta is performing "after her terrific performance on the Atlantic Cable" . I did not realise she was a tightrope artist at first, and thought they meant the telegraphic cable (which opened only 4 years before), but am still not sure what Atlantic cable they are talking about

Attached pictures:
mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member

#103 by Stirling Single , Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:57 am

Mike,
Thank's again, I will look for Madame Lauretta's name, for you, when I buy or look up any programmes.
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#104 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:41 pm

Lynn

Have you seen these cuttings both from a print taken from The New Theatre Quarterly 1869. The print is for sale on both Ebay and Amazon at the moment.

Attached pictures:
phil

#105 by Stirling Single , Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:22 pm

Phil, The only thing is - Do you know if it is the Birmingham Gaiety as there seemed to be Gaiety Theatres in other towns, as well.
Let me know what your thoughs are on that.
Lynn. Plenty of sunshine down this way to-day.!

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Summer Lane Pubs.

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor