You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

RE: Holders Pubs in Birmingham,

#47 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:15 pm

Mike

think Lynn means under the circle of the portrait, but its probably only an acknowledgement or something similar.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#48 by mikejee , Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:38 pm

Sorry Lynn & Phil. must be the fine weather affecting me !. It looks like! "the Photo" Sprague & Co, London"

Attached pictures:
mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member

#49 by Stirling Single , Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:00 pm

To you both,

All the trouble and effort has paid off - Well done - so very clear now.

Now apart from the Henry Holder - Rodney Inn - have you any record of the Rodney Inn/Pub 84, Edmund Street.

Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single
Date registered 03.12.2011

#50 by Stirling Single , Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:10 pm

And yes it does look like 'The photo' Spraque & co, London but Mike I wouldn't have been able to make that out. - Solicitors in London but that doesn't fit in, so it must have meant something else.
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#51 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:44 pm

Lynn

Are you sure that this Rodney Inn was in Edmund Street, as I can find no record of it from 1903 onward, perhaps Mike who has more resources than I can go a little earlier or take a look on the census returns. The only other pub I can find is The Lord Rodney that was on the corner of Hurst St and Thorpe St.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#52 by mikejee , Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:38 pm

Lynn

The Rodney was opened in 1820 , and the original owner was John Payton, who was a wood turner by trade. Mckenna states that it was compulsory purchesed in 1867 and the landlord was William Eaves. The 1867 directory lists Mrs Eleanor Ketley as the landlord, and the 1868 directory lists James Lowe there, though he is listed as a beer retailer, and no name for the pub is given. I certainly seems to have disappeared by 1872. As to the position of it. McKenna states that it was about where the central library is at present, but I am not sure if he has taken into account renumbering of the street. Will be looking at that.
What connection does this have with Holder?
Mike

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member

#53 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:47 pm

Mike,

I thought you would sort it.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#54 by Stirling Single , Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:04 pm

Mike,

Nothing to do with Holder, it was just that I wondering because History & Directory of Birmingham 1849 Birmingham Trade List gives:-
Rodney, Henry Holder, 89,Coleshill Street
Rodney, Wm. John Bracey, 84,Edmund Street
I just thought it was another pub as I don't understand these directories at all but am trying to - a friend sent me this. I'm finding that I can't seem to open them up from the link that you gave me, but will keep on trying. - Mabe I need some extra programme for my machine, or something. It would be nice to be able to explore them, so shall try again to-night.

Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#55 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:35 pm

Lynn

Have you got Adobe Reader, you will need it to open most trade directories on cd. You can download it free.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil
Last edited Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:17 pm | Top

#56 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:21 pm

Lynn

A couple more Holders pubs for you, but I'm afraid I don't have photos for these. The Bell, 19 Prospect Row, Gosta Green. The Golden Horse Duddeston Row / Bartholemew Row, Bordesley.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#57 by Stirling Single , Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:40 pm

Have taken note of them . Thanks Phil.

Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#58 by mikejee , Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:48 pm

Had a little search for Holders in the press, and came accross these little totbits (will post page if important, otherwise just info & ref.(B.P=Birm, Post)
B.P. 15.6.1870 Grain for sale. Apply Mr holder, brewery new thomas st, coleshill st
B.P. 23.6.1870 Haymakers and others sneding their own casks can be supplied with excellent fresh beer at sixpence pergallon at mr holders brewery. New Thomas St coleshill st
BP.15.1.89. corner, fully licensed, near smethwick.Splendid position, midst of largest work in Midland Counties. Rapidly rising neaighbourhood,Let on favouraworcester ble lease. Holders brewery
Berrows Worcester Journal 15.8.1889 on Friday night (day before) a tank containing grains and weighing about 40 tons fell from an outer wall about 12 ft high at Holders Brewery, birm.. scattering the contents in every direction. The tank containe about 2500 bushells waitong to be removed from the premises. Fortunately no-one was hurt
BP.7.3.1900 Another Birmingham Reservist Departs
The dinner hour yeasterday was the time of the departure for worcester of Thomas Wright. An employee of holders brewery, who has been summoned to rejoin his regiment. Sir John Holders band headed the procession-a large one- to new st station, and a hearty farewell was given to Wright
BP.18.6.1900 Announcment of sale of some pubs of Holders (tied to Holders)
The Roebuck, Walsall; White lion, Henry St; Waggon & horses, Heneage St; Red Lion, Brearley St; Hen & chickens, summerhill St; Off Licence,the victoria Stores, Stuart St; Off licence 20 Rann St (this appeared several times on different days)
BP. 25.1.1900 htel Market town 16 miles out, changed once in mnay years. Bowling green, 2 billiard tables, stabling, convneient domestic premises, Ied, holders Brewery, long lease. Goodwill £1100; valuation £800
BP 7.6.1900 Dismantling of Jerrams brewery, Oldbury . Auction sale of palnt and building materials
BP.30.6.1900 Sale 1900 Announcment of sale of some pubs of brewers including Holders (tied to Holders) : Crown hotel, prospect hill, Redditch and off licence and grocery business Harrow road, Bournbrook,
The online papers only go up to 1900.
Mike

Attached pictures:
mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member

#59 by Stirling Single , Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:03 pm

Mike,
Please post the page - There is SO, SO much to read in all of this.
What on earth do you look up to find all this and thanks so much for doing it. You are giving me new avenues of thought and lots of new material that I doubt that I would have ever found, absolutely amazing.
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#60 by mikejee , Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:11 pm

Lyn
I posted the three main ones. All the others i have quoted virtuallly verbatim, but can post them if you want they are very small .
They all came from the Gales 19th century newspaper collection. It is scanned from a selection (quite a small selection but still very useful) of newspapers in the British library collection. Its not the sort of thing you can subscribe to yourself as it is very expensive (meant for libraries, though Phil could probably afford it !!). Some local libraries allow access to it to their members, some over the internet if you quote a membership no. Not sure about yours, its somewhere in sussex isn't it? As far as i can see from the net neither east nor west sussex offer it, even at the library branches. It doesn't surprise me. I was born and spent my early years in chichester, and they are not very generous. Mind you, with the cuts libraries may axe a lot of services.
Mike

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Summer Lane Pubs.

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor