Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Holders Pubs in Birmingham,

#121 by astoness , Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:41 pm

phil on your pics post 116 there are 2 chimneys on the right of the buiding...i dont think that you would see the one on the right from the angle that my pic is taken..i will stake money on it that it is the observatory corner of hunters road and barker st...will try and confirm it though..

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#122 by astoness , Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:04 pm

phil go back to the 45 pic you posted at the bottom of page 2 (ive also got this one in a pub book) and compere it with the one i posted..even the little square panels below the large windows are the same...dont know whats happening with the chimneys though..seems they have added and taken away over the years lol..

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#123 by mikejee , Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:37 pm

I had a look to see if k could find any other observatory inn in Brum. did not, but in passing did come accross one incident . Around 1890 the landlord and friends were raided in a lock in (though I don't know if it was knoen as that at the time). both he and friends were taken to court and fined (including fine for perjury). However , when he applied for a renewal of his licence the justices were not amused that he had tried to take ht episs out of the police in a sporting paper.

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#124 by astoness , Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:52 am

thanks for that snippet about the observatory mike..would not get that so much today as a lot of pubs seem to open almost 24 hours a day lol...

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#125 by astoness , Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:32 am

hi lynn you can definately add my pic of the observatory to your files..the name above the door is gertrude robottom...the e rolls confirm that in

1922 44a barker st lozells observatory inn....gertrude and joseph robottom
1925 gertrude robottom
1927 gertrude and henry william robottom at this address....

so gertrude had the pub for at least 5 years...many thanks to mike for looking up the e rolls for me just to make sure..

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#126 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:32 am

I must admit I also looked and could find no other Observatory Inn that was in Birmingham at the time. If you think about it the external chimney breast on the front wall must have been added later because I don't think it would have been designed that way.

phil

#127 by Stirling Single , Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:49 am

Phil and Lyn,
What I'm wondering is what is it that tells you that it was a Holder Pub at one time.
Do you have a seperate record of that sort of thing.
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single
Date registered 03.12.2011

#128 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:52 pm

Lynn

Do you know, I have forgotten how I came up with the last list of pubs that were ex Holder properties. The first ones were pubs that you had mentioned. The second lot were all still displaying Holder livery, but I'm lost how I came up the the third and forth set of names. Thats old age for you, I'll just have to wait and see if it comes back to me.

phil

#129 by astoness , Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:12 pm

Quote: Stirling Single wrote in post #127
Phil and Lyn,
What I'm wondering is what is it that tells you that it was a Holder Pub at one time.
Do you have a seperate record of that sort of thing.
Lynn.

hi lynn well i got the info on the observatory from andrew maxams book TIME PLEASE he researches the pubs in the book he writes and gives a little info on them all.....he has written quite a few on pubs of brum i believe...phil do you have this book ?? the clarity of the images really are top notch...

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

Last edited 10.04.2012 | Top

#130 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:21 pm

Lyn

You are probably correct as I do have Andrew Maxam book, and looking through it, I see it mentions that the pubs I posted are ex Holders houses. So that is more than likely where I got the information from, as well as some of the photos.

phil

#131 by astoness , Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:48 pm

Quote: phil wrote in post #130
Lyn

You are probably correct as I do have Andrew Maxam book, and looking through it, I see it mentions that the pubs I posted are ex Holders houses. So that is more than likely where I got the information from, as well as some of the photos.

phil the one ive got is a big book with red cover and a pic of the crown broad st on the front of it..4 small pics of pubs on the back including the one of the obsertavory i posted...

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#132 by mikejee , Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:10 pm

I notice that in Time out it is stated that the observatory was granted a full licence in 1949. I assume that this means a licence to sell spirits ina ddition to beer. In that case they waited a long time , as can be seen below from a report of 7.8.1868

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#133 by astoness , Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:24 pm

thanks for that mike..i see the angel is on the list..another of dads watering holes and the building still stands but not as a pub also i notice the union is there as well..that was another holder pub...again the building is still there but not in use as a pub...

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

Last edited 10.04.2012 | Top

#134 by Stirling Single , Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:56 pm

I found this Holder Pub in Solihull.Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
I'm sure I haven't loaded the photo properly but here's a try.
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single
Date registered 03.12.2011

#135 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:24 pm

Lynn

It looks fine to me, The pub is still there today and the pub itself has changed little frontage wise but it is hotel complex now part of the Ramada chain, I wouldn't want to drink in there as it would bankrupt you. Oddly I've got to attend a function there in a few weeks time, I'm not keen on the food there either.

phil

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor