Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Nechells

#106 by astoness , Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:53 am

hi ya pudding nice to see you on our little forum....

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#107 by Deleted User , Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:04 am

Hi lyn thank you.

#108 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:10 am

Pudding

It shows how bad my memories getting, even though I never used the Monkey House I must have been up and down Cato Street thousands of times but I always remember the pub being on the other corner. So it's a good job you came up with that photo because I would have gone to my grave thinking that.

phil

#109 by Deleted User , Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:24 am

Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Phil it is one of the reasons why I got the pic of the monkey house from the Eric hill of the nechells history society because I myself did not have it and I knew you haven't in your collection.Well here is another one for you The Prince of Wales which was on the corner of Mount st and Aston church rd.

#110 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:03 pm

Pudding

One I don't remember, but no matter it's gone straight into my collection.

phil

#111 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:42 am

Hi Pudding

Didn't you live in Brighton Terrace at one time?

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

#112 by Deleted User , Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:58 pm

Hi Phil,sorry mate I didn't live up the "Bums Puzzle" I lived at the back of the Manor arm pub which was a little bit further down Duddeston mill road.as for the title Brighton Place it is the wrong name,it is Vauxhall terrace.

#113 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:10 pm

pudding

I knew that I was only pulling you leg, in fact I pointed out what you say on the BF some time back. Though Brighton Terrace was at the side of the chippy at number 66 as I remember reading you said you lived at the rear of the chippy. It's the photo that has been named wrong as usual hasn't it?

phil

#114 by Deleted User , Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:58 pm

Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Hi all, have any of you got a photo of the old St Vincent's RC church on ashted row,as I have come across this interior shot of the altar.

#115 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:28 pm

Pudding

I've been having a look today, I haven't found one yet.

phil

#116 by mikejee , Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:54 pm

Is there only one St vincents church, as i seem to have a very small picture marked just St vincents church, but it looks a bit palin for an RC church

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#117 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:08 am

Mike

That would have been the St Vincents Church that was attached to the school I attended in Vauxhall Grove I think it must have replaced the original school that stood between Ashted Row and Great brook St. From the maps it doesn't seem that a lot of it was viewable from either road, this might explain why photos are in short supply.

Attached pictures:
phil

#118 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:18 pm

There is a new St Vincents Church on Nechells Parkway, what would have been Ashted Row in my day. Not a stones throw from the original school. and with the entrance not another stones throw from where I used to live on what was Francis Street. I understand that the school in Vauxhall Grove opened in 1930 so I would imagine thats when the other church closed.

phil

#119 by Deleted User , Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:21 pm

Hi Phil,Mike,and all.

I have been studding the street plan/map that has been posted on showing the whereabout of the old St Vincent's Church was on Ashted row
I came to realise there was another entrance in Great brook street.I have also had a look on other forums for a pic of the said streets I think the entrance to the school/church is a photo under the title of the Parliament house pub as there is an ornamental brickwork over the entrance two doors away down from the pub.also there is a pic I have seen of Great brook street showing children playing outside an wide entrance I wonder if this may be the one in Great brook street?

Last edited Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:01 pm | Top

#120 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:29 pm

pudding

Yes I think that the Ashted Row entrance to the school is on this photo just a few doors down from the Parliament House public house. If the second photo is the one you are referring to, I think it's just an opened up back court.

Attached pictures:
phil

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Grosvenor Street / Grosvenor Row

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor