Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Nechells

#106 by astoness , Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:53 am

hi ya pudding nice to see you on our little forum....

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#107 by Pudding , Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:04 am

Hi lyn thank you.

Pudding  
Pudding
Date registered 11.13.2012

#108 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:10 am

Pudding

It shows how bad my memories getting, even though I never used the Monkey House I must have been up and down Cato Street thousands of times but I always remember the pub being on the other corner. So it's a good job you came up with that photo because I would have gone to my grave thinking that.

phil

#109 by Pudding , Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:24 am

Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Phil it is one of the reasons why I got the pic of the monkey house from the Eric hill of the nechells history society because I myself did not have it and I knew you haven't in your collection.Well here is another one for you The Prince of Wales which was on the corner of Mount st and Aston church rd.

Pudding  
Pudding

#110 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:03 pm

Pudding

One I don't remember, but no matter it's gone straight into my collection.

phil

#111 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:42 am

Hi Pudding

Didn't you live in Brighton Terrace at one time?

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

#112 by Pudding , Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:58 pm

Hi Phil,sorry mate I didn't live up the "Bums Puzzle" I lived at the back of the Manor arm pub which was a little bit further down Duddeston mill road.as for the title Brighton Place it is the wrong name,it is Vauxhall terrace.

Pudding  
Pudding

#113 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:10 pm

pudding

I knew that I was only pulling you leg, in fact I pointed out what you say on the BF some time back. Though Brighton Terrace was at the side of the chippy at number 66 as I remember reading you said you lived at the rear of the chippy. It's the photo that has been named wrong as usual hasn't it?

phil

#114 by Pudding , Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:58 pm

Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Hi all, have any of you got a photo of the old St Vincent's RC church on ashted row,as I have come across this interior shot of the altar.

Pudding  
Pudding

#115 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:28 pm

Pudding

I've been having a look today, I haven't found one yet.

phil

#116 by mikejee , Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:54 pm

Is there only one St vincents church, as i seem to have a very small picture marked just St vincents church, but it looks a bit palin for an RC church

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#117 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:08 am

Mike

That would have been the St Vincents Church that was attached to the school I attended in Vauxhall Grove I think it must have replaced the original school that stood between Ashted Row and Great brook St. From the maps it doesn't seem that a lot of it was viewable from either road, this might explain why photos are in short supply.

Attached pictures:
phil

#118 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:18 pm

There is a new St Vincents Church on Nechells Parkway, what would have been Ashted Row in my day. Not a stones throw from the original school. and with the entrance not another stones throw from where I used to live on what was Francis Street. I understand that the school in Vauxhall Grove opened in 1930 so I would imagine thats when the other church closed.

phil

#119 by Pudding , Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:21 pm

Hi Phil,Mike,and all.

I have been studding the street plan/map that has been posted on showing the whereabout of the old St Vincent's Church was on Ashted row
I came to realise there was another entrance in Great brook street.I have also had a look on other forums for a pic of the said streets I think the entrance to the school/church is a photo under the title of the Parliament house pub as there is an ornamental brickwork over the entrance two doors away down from the pub.also there is a pic I have seen of Great brook street showing children playing outside an wide entrance I wonder if this may be the one in Great brook street?

Pudding  
Pudding

Last edited 01.16.2013 | Top

#120 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:29 pm

pudding

Yes I think that the Ashted Row entrance to the school is on this photo just a few doors down from the Parliament House public house. If the second photo is the one you are referring to, I think it's just an opened up back court.

Attached pictures:
phil

Alleys & Passageways of Birmingham
The Swan

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor