Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Grosvenor Street / Grosvenor Row

#1 by Stirling Single , Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:55 pm

Grosvenor Row.
As one would have gone up Grosvenor Street towards Nova Scotia Street - near the top on the right hand side, before the Midland Brewery - I can see on my 1888 map that there was Grosvenor Row It looks like a row of houses. I wonder were they dwelling houses or if they were attached to the brewery.

Has anyone got any views on that.

I wonder would anyone have a photo of Grosvenor Row or Grosvenor Street as if there is one it would possibly give part of a view of the Midland Brewery.

Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single
Date registered 03.12.2011

RE: Grosvenor Street / Grosvenor Row

#2 by mikejee , Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:24 pm

Lynn
Can't remember if I put a large scale map on previously. Excuse if this is a repeat. On this version it certainly looks as if it is within the brewery, though I am not sure if they were houses or outbuildings, possibly stables for dray horses?

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

Last edited 04.08.2013 | Top

#3 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:15 pm

Lynne

Myself I think it could be a terrace, it looks like it ticks all the boxes, a central water tap, a row of what looks like outside toilets and some smaller building which could possibly be wash houses (brewhouses). On top of that it Grosvenor Row doesn't show u on ordinary maps. Mike is there any reference to it on census returns?

phil

#4 by Stirling Single , Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:53 pm

Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

This is a reference to Grosvenor Row in the BNA - If the man was a labourer and was in a Bankrupt Court in Warwick Would he have been an employee of the Brewery but then surely there would have been a Bankrupt Court in Birmingham.

Would this be the same Grosveror Row as in that fantastic Midland Brewery Map.

Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#5 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:36 pm

Lynne

I would think it very probable that it is the same Grosvenor Row, which itself is nor listed in any A to Z I have. There are however other Grosvenor Streets & Roads listed in Birmingham.

phil

#6 by Stirling Single , Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:06 pm

Phil, This is were I got Grosvenor Row from - It's just the 1888 Central Birmingham - The Godfrey Edition.

Nothing like some of the maps that Mike comes up with.

I just thought if we managed to get any more photos of the surrounding area that the Midland brewery might jump into one of them again.

Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#7 by Stirling Single , Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:09 pm

My apologies, I didn't attach the correct file above. Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#8 by Stirling Single , Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:41 pm

I've enlarged the middle bit of that map and am now wondering if that says PH in at back of the brewery {just south of Hick's Square}
If it is a Public House any ideas of what the name was - it seems a strange place to be tucked away, or was it actually in a wider area of Hick's Square.
I do apologise for asking so many questions.
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#9 by mikejee , Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:03 pm

Lynn
The pub is listed as being in Hick's Square. it was called the Don Cossack. No idea why such an unusual name.

The Grosvenor row in 1831 was not the Grosvenor row in 1889. The 1839 map shows that Grosvenor row then was the bottom three quarters of what in 1889 was Grosvenor St.
I will see if i can find it in 1891 census, but may have soem problems

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member

#10 by mikejee , Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:55 pm

Lynn
Found Grosvenor row in 1891. the heads of the 12 houses there were brewer, railway labouer, iron plate worker,steel forger, iron plate stamper, a bras caster, a taylor's machine worker, a stationary engine driver, a brass laquerer, a builders labourer and one living off own means (who incidently has a boarder who, on careful examination was a birdcage painter, but initially i thought was a bondage painter!)

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member

#11 by astoness , Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:18 pm

lynn i have asked a couple of contacts for any pics of grosvenor row or the brewery...will get back if i have any success...

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#12 by Stirling Single , Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:36 pm

Thanks Mike for looking this all up and proving it was a row of houses. I suppose they may have been in the grounds of the brewery, and were then rented out. {maybe} {maybe not}

and

Thanks Lyn for asking for photos for me. Lynn

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

Last edited 04.09.2013 | Top

#13 by astoness , Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:37 pm

no probs lynn we could be lucky...

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor