Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Brum. 'Green Man' Walks? Anyone Attended?

#46 by Voltman , Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:49 am

Denise, Just shocking. I bet there's a lot of those sort of carvings about we just don't expect to see them, so we don't, they just pass us by or in this case we pass them by without noticing.
VM

Anyone informed that the universe is expanding and contracting in pulsations of eighty billion years has a right to ask, “What’s in it for me?”
Peter De Vries (b. 1910)
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/
http://telsen.co.uk/

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#47 by Deleted User , Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:57 am

Yes that is true,I walk past the cathedral most days and have learnt to focus a bit more and I think I spot something new every day........there is so much it takes ages to take in the detail.

#48 by Nicholas , Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:26 pm

Posted by denise
What amazed me was the rude lady LOL.

I did a drawing of a Shelia-Na-Gig at school once....... Luckily, the teacher knew exactly what she was, so I didn't get too much of a roasting!! Laugh!!!

Excellent site on the subject here: http://www.sheelanagig.org/

All the best,

Nick

www.westmidlandsghostclub.com

Nicholas
Date registered 08.20.2010

#49 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:21 pm

Posted by Voltman
Denise, Just shocking. I bet there's a lot of those sort of carvings about we just don't expect to see them, so we don't, they just pass us by or in this case we pass them by without noticing.
VM

I tell you what (and I was as guilty of this as anyone else). We walk around our cities and we never look up at the buildings that surround us. Many of the older building are adorned with works of art that we never notice, until our attention is directed to them.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#50 by Deleted User , Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:40 pm

A good link Nick.

I went into the cathedral today and one of the guides showed me three Green men in the cathedral.

One was in the chapter house,very very old as this is one of the oldest parts of the cathedral,one in St Chads chapel and the other I am not sure what part you call it.

Now as you may know a lot of work is being done on the cathedral at the moment and the guide said there is about two hundred on the roof area.She told me that an artist has been up and sketched them all but why no pics ???I am going to try to find out more.

I will take some pics of the ones in the cathedral but had no money on me today and they charge for pic taking.

#51 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:19 pm

Posted by denise

I will take some pics of the ones in the cathedral but had no money on me today and they charge for pic taking.

Another thing I find disgusting, as much as I love old buildings and churches I refuse on principal to pay any amount for the privilege of walking around any religious building. I certainly wouldn't pay to photograph any part of a church.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#52 by signman ( deleted ) , Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:09 am

£5 to take photographs in Salisbury cathedral, and £2 for a camera permit ! in Tewkesbury.
No cameras allowed in Arundel castle.

signman

#53 by Sheldonboy , Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:22 am

I know entrance to these buildings is charged to help pay for the upkeep. I know Coventry Cathederal is very expensive. But surely in this day and age with good quality personalised promotional items available, entrance could be free, allowing more people access and a bigger cliontele for the souvenir shop. At least that would be a voluntary payment. people will always pay more if they think they are getting something in return. SB

Brummies Talking....... Get the Buzz
Visitors copy this link.. http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#54 by Nicholas , Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:06 am

Posted by denise
A good link Nick.

I went into the cathedral today and one of the guides showed me three Green men in the cathedral.

One was in the chapter house,very very old as this is one of the oldest parts of the cathedral,one in St Chads chapel and the other I am not sure what part you call it.

Now as you may know a lot of work is being done on the cathedral at the moment and the guide said there is about two hundred on the roof area.She told me that an artist has been up and sketched them all but why no pics ???I am going to try to find out more.

It would be really interesting to see those pics Denise....... Perhaps there is a book in the planning? (Or 'was', possibly?)

The last time I went into Lichfield Cathedral and purchased a photography permit, I believe I only took one, solitary picture of a 'cadaver tomb'!! Laugh!! On a recent visit to Shrewsbury, I paid a quid for the same purpose in the Abbey and literally filled my camera with stuff!! Laugh!!!

Posted by phil

Another thing I find disgusting, as much as I love old buildings and churches I refuse on principal to pay any amount for the privilege of walking around any religious building. I certainly wouldn't pay to photograph any part of a church.
Phil

Posted by signman
£5 to take photographs in Salisbury cathedral, and £2 for a camera permit ! in Tewkesbury.
No cameras allowed in Arundel castle.

Posted by Sheldonboy
I know entrance to these buildings is charged to help pay for the upkeep. I know Coventry Cathederal is very expensive. But surely in this day and age with good quality personalised promotional items available, entrance could be free, allowing more people access and a bigger cliontele for the souvenir shop. At least that would be a voluntary payment. people will always pay more if they think they are getting something in return. SB

I refuse to pay to enter a religious building for a variety of reasons, I must admit. Some appear to be geared so that you either have to pass a counter-like set-up, so that you feel obliged to pay (Bath Cathedral, for example), or else there are volunteers posted near the donation boxes, near the entrance, so that you are 'shamed' into donating something!! Laugh!!

A lot of places don't even try to charge you for taking pics, but some have cottoned onto this little money-spinner, of course!! Laugh!!! I recall a visit to Wells Cathedral a good few years ago now (to look at the site of an alleged ghost photograph from the 40's or 50's, I think) and - when we got to the site of interest - we noticed a sign saying 'strictly no photography'...... My mate said 'I've not come all this way to go home without recording the visit!' so we ended up slyly taking a hand-ful of pics - looking over our shoulders constantly - like a couple of naughty school-boys!! Laugh, laugh!!!

All the best,

Nick

[url=http://www.westmidlandsghostclub.com]www.westmidlandsghostclub.com[/url]

Nicholas
Date registered 08.20.2010

Last edited 09.08.2010 | Top

#55 by signman ( deleted ) , Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:12 am

That's how I took this one in Arundel castle Nick.

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
signman

#56 by Deleted User , Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:05 am

Well you are asked to make a donation towards admission and I knowthere have been redundancies around the cathedral so I think times are lean for them.As I live here I donate sometimes but as I tend to go in regularly I do not donate every time.I think we all have taken sneaky pics sometimes LOL.

The upkeep of these old buildings must be a nightmare but they are our heritage...imagine if they were all allowed to collapse to nothing ???

#57 by Deleted User , Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:24 am

Watched the second of the series churches and how to read them and it was so interesting.

Catch up on the i player.

#58 by Deleted User , Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:29 pm

Hard to get some info but I am still trying meantime the verger has promised to show me more Green men inside the cathedral than I saw yesterday,he said some were made of wood so do they count as Green men,don't see why not .

#59 by Sheldonboy , Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:02 pm

Guess what I got for my House wall, yesterday.

Brummies Talking....... Get the Buzz
Visitors copy this link.. http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#60 by Deleted User , Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:51 pm

Oh wow he is great........he looks very severe.

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Birmingham Big City, City Centre Masterplan.

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor