Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Forum Promotion.

#16 by Voltman , Thu May 20, 2010 10:01 am

That's not a search result Signman. I put it there.
But it is now in the suggestions when you do a search on Google.

"Nothing is more dangerous than an idea when it is the only one you have." Emile-Auguste Chartier

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#17 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu May 20, 2010 10:25 am

Good thinking VM

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#18 by Voltman , Wed May 26, 2010 8:49 am

211th in a Google search for "brummies".
Not very good.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=brummie...&start=200&sa=N

"Nothing is more dangerous than an idea when it is the only one you have." Emile-Auguste Chartier

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Last edited 05.26.2010 | Top

#19 by signman ( deleted ) , Wed May 26, 2010 1:30 pm

For anyone with windows xp, if you haven't installed service pack 3, do so now, there is no support for xp after July 12th this year.

signman

#20 by Voltman , Thu May 27, 2010 4:12 pm

Zitat von signman
For anyone with windows xp, if you haven't installed service pack 3, do so now, there is no support for xp after July 12th this year.

Support? From Microsoft? What's that?

Signman, I read a few bad reports about the effects of upgrading to SP3 and then a mate of mine tried it. He had a lot of trouble with drivers and software not running, freezes, etc, so he wiped it and started again at SP2.
Have you done it?
VM

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#21 by signman ( deleted ) , Thu May 27, 2010 7:50 pm

VM, I installed service pack 3 the same day it came out, I have never had any problem whatsoever.
After July there will be no automatic updates from Microsoft, so effectively anyone running XP will be open to any new threats that appear.

signman

#22 by Voltman , Fri May 28, 2010 8:31 am

Ahh, that's another point.
The constant security updates. I have a policy of never installing any of them.
I have never been happy with the results of such updates and the PC seems to belong to MS with the constant installing and rebooting required.

I have mostly Vista now and the XP machines are for specific tasks so I can't risk disrupting them.
I will continue to hide behind my firewall with constant backups and no AV.
VM

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#23 by signman ( deleted ) , Fri May 28, 2010 8:39 am

I can see your point VM, but I suppose until you have had a problem you are content to just poodle along happily,as I do.
I have the free version of AVG installed and there again have no problems, I do all my banking online, no paper statements and buy quite a few things via card and no problems.
This machine has now got 3 hard drives on xp, but I will be getting windows 7 at end of year, even tho' Microsoft are now working on windows 9 (what happened to 8 ?).

signman

#24 by Sheldonboy , Sat May 29, 2010 6:09 am

Signman, I have just been looking at VM's Avatar. It's a Pentagon. Do you think that there is anything sinister in this, he may be an American agent if so the Yanks may be infiltrating our forum. !

Arguing with an idiot is like teaching a pig to sing. It's a waste of your time, and it only annoys the pig!

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#25 by Voltman , Sun May 30, 2010 9:16 am

Watchit buddy, I ain't no yank, aw heck, the games up, I told 'em not to send me.

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#26 by Voltman , Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:19 am

This is a suggestion I made elsewhere as a way of reducing the size of an image.

Open the picture in Windows Photo Gallery and try to email it to yourself, you are offered a choice of picture sizes for the purpose of sending by email, choose one and either send the mail or open and save the attachment without sending. There are similar methods in all versions of Windows. This is limited to the sizes offered but may do the job at hand.
VM

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#27 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:11 am

Re:- photo resizing, I use "Picture It" a very basic photo editing programme from Microsoft. But the best and easiest web based site I have used is,

http://www.webresizer.com/

It is very simple to use and you can just enter the size you want your photo reduced to and it will do it for you.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

RE: On Line Software

#28 by Voltman , Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:01 pm

I have just given that site a try Phil, and I must say I think it is very good. I tried it on one of your old B&W shots and it gave a noticable improvement as well as a smaller file size.
The people that own the site are who they claim to be. They appear to be into what the internet was meant for, the free exchange of ideas and information. Open Source being a prime example of sharing.
I would suggest we click on one of their google ads when using their service.
VM

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Code Test

#29 by Voltman , Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:38 pm

<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
alert("Hello world!");
//-->
</script>

inserts a horizontal ruler

What are "moderators?"
Moderators are members with special privileges.
Moderators are appointed by the administrator in order to keep to forums "clean and tidy". I.e. they watch out for illegal contents or insulting behavior. To fulfill this task, they have a few additional user rights (e.g. they can close or move threads and can delete messages of other users).

[style= margin-top: 20px]
[style= font-family: arial]
[style= font-weight: normal]
[style= text-align: left]
[style= font-size: 20px]
[style= img-align: left]

What are "moderators?"
Moderators are appointed by the administrator in order to keep to forums "clean and tidy". I.e. they watch out for illegal contents or insulting behavior. To fulfill this task, they have a few additional user rights (e.g. they can close or move threads and can delete messages of other users).

Up

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Last edited 06.04.2010 | Top

RE: Code Test

#30 by Voltman , Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:10 pm

What are "moderators?"

What are "moderators?"

What are "moderators?"

What are "moderators?"

What are "moderators?"

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Last edited 06.04.2010 | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Servants

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor