Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: WATCH DUIN TODAY.

#136 by signman ( deleted ) , Sat May 15, 2010 6:50 am

I was there from about 1960-62, I was printing record covers and Triumph Tina scooter brochures.
Aguy called Sunderland was in charge at the time.

signman
Last edited Sat May 15, 2010 6:52 am | Top

#137 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat May 15, 2010 12:09 pm

Hi John

I watched a little of last nights programme, the part where he begged a curry and asked to sleep in a church.

But it bored me and I switched it off. I couldn't see what he was doing was so much different to thousands of homeless people on our streets every day. Those people haven't got a film crew following them and so they get refused by everybody.

I did what he did, and more over 40 years ago. As did a lot more kids of my age then. I know things were so much different then and we did it because we enjoyed the way of life. I don't remember anybody filming us. Well except for the occasional news or documentary crew.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#138 by signman ( deleted ) , Sat May 15, 2010 1:25 pm

You're right there Phil, how does this guy profess to be a part-time vicar and also a tv presenter, stinks of a set-up to me.

signman

#139 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat May 15, 2010 1:52 pm

John

As I say never having watched this before, I didn't know what you have just said about him. But I have to say that he is not very worldly if he doesn't know that people who own hotels and bed & breakfast establishments don't give out freebies to people who knock at their door. The same applies to restaurants.

Is there a point to the programme? are they trying to show how hard life is on the streets for the homeless or are they just taking the P.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#140 by signman ( deleted ) , Sat May 15, 2010 6:50 pm

The initial programme was about him overspending on all sorts of things and finally coming to the conclusion he would be better off out of the
rat race and adopting Francis of Assissi's philosphy of having nothing and believing that people would look after him, so being a pilgrim , he decided to hit the road, think he had a bit of a shock, by the end of the programme he'd decided to give up, I await the next and final episode with baited breath.

signman

#141 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat May 15, 2010 7:15 pm

John

As I said I have never watched it, but could anybody be so gullible to think they could go out on the road with no experience and get by. Surely he knows back in the time of St Francis that the clergy and monks were treated like royalty wherever they went and they didn't need money. Anybody would offer them food and money and be pleased to do so.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#142 by signman ( deleted ) , Sun May 16, 2010 3:03 pm

Dull, and blustery here today, we have a mini rally on, pretty crowded.

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
signman

#143 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun May 16, 2010 3:35 pm

It looks busy John, the last time I was down there for a weekend it was a couple of years back and it was the London to Brighton Rally. It was pretty busy that weekend as well. Well it all brings money into the town doesn't it?

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#144 by Deleted User , Sun May 16, 2010 9:26 pm

We watched it and in olden times people were more responsive to giving out alms.

I asked Jim what would you do now if someone knocked the door and asked for shelter and neither of us were really sure.

As I have a faith I was a little ashamed of myself for not being sure but I think the real thing is fear of who you are letting in and what will they do once they are in rather than not wanting to help someone.

I think the logical answer would be to pay for a nights Band B whee they do not seem to have these fears.

#145 by Sheldonboy , Sun May 16, 2010 9:39 pm

That would seem the best thing to do Denise, and very admirable, but have you any idea how many people you would have queing at your door, in a very short space of time.
That's why this kind of thing has to be left to organised charities, they are always worth supporting if you want to help. SB

Arguing with an idiot is like teaching a pig to sing. It's a waste of your time, and it only annoys the pig!

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#146 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun May 16, 2010 10:26 pm

SB

You say these things are best left to organised charities. What like the church hostels for the homeless that refused down & outs a bed for the night if the didn't have the few shillings needed to pay for a bed for the night.

Like the salvation army that charged the down and outs a price per portion at the hostel that we gave cases of out of date tins of beans and tomatoes to for free.

There are not many organised charities in this world that are any good today.

I would not give anybody on the streets money today, but I would but them a meal and go round to a hostel and pay for a bed for the night.

When we worked on the modernisation & envelope schemes in Birmingham we were always being asked by down & outs if they could sleep in the house we were working on. I of course had to tell them that I couldn't allow that, but I always added of course there is no lock on the back door.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

RE: WATCHA DUIN TODAY.

#147 by Voltman , Sun May 16, 2010 10:27 pm

So SB can still talk sense when he chooses.

WATCHA DUIN TODAY?
Washed and polished the car, inside and out, and got an hour in the sun.
VM

"Cats are a mysterious kind of folk. There is more passing in their minds than we are aware of." Sir Walter Scott

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#148 by Sheldonboy , Mon May 17, 2010 5:18 am

I take you point and understand what you say Phil. But like it or not these charities still cost money to run. Gift aid helps these days, whereby the charities can reclaim the money that donors have paid in tax. But even if all staffing is voluntary the premises still have to be paid for.
I stand by what I have said, no-one wants to see anyone homeless and certainly not starving. But giving at your own home would be absolute lunacy. The person that you have just helped will be back and most probably others too.
I deal with the Police on a regular basis and attend Police neighbourhood tasking meetings. I also attend our local Councillors Ward meetings. I hear on a very sad regular basis about some of the problems that occur in our area. Where I live is quite a good safe area as is yours. But trust me Phil the stories that you hear about in the local press are only a small selection of what happens in our day to day society.
They say an Englishmans home is is Castle, sometimes you have to know when to keep the Drawbridge up. SB

Arguing with an idiot is like teaching a pig to sing. It's a waste of your time, and it only annoys the pig!

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#149 by signman ( deleted ) , Thu May 20, 2010 9:54 pm

Not so much as what you doing today, it;s what you;ve done today, got ****** spent £53 and all I've got is nothing -9.55 pm and going to bed.

signman
Last edited Fri May 21, 2010 4:53 am | Top

#150 by signman ( deleted ) , Sat May 22, 2010 2:47 pm

heatwave here, town is mobbed, went for my usual constitutional, and came back to chill out, too busy for me I like solitude.
A few shots from this morning.

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
signman

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Community Pubs

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor