Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

RE: NEWMAN BROS COFFIN FITTING WORKS

#17 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:45 pm

Some good photos there Lyn, I especially like the guillotine, I remember working one just like that when I was sixteen for cutting brass & copper sheeting. It is probably too technical for SB to work out.

phil

#18 by astoness , Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:08 pm

thanks phil...you can see from the last pic that there was only a few candles dotted around..ive got a little lumix camera not the highest spec but i was pleased with the pics..dont know why but when i saw the guilotene i kind of imagined SB standing next to it working like the clappers....

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#19 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:14 pm

Lyn

It's amazing when I think of just how many little workshops like that I worked in fro 15 to 18. I think my average job only lasted 6 to 8 weeks and 3 months would have been like a lifetime. Then I only worked in the winter months, summer was for travelling around the county courtesy of the good old thumb.

phil

#20 by astoness , Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:25 pm

Quote: phil wrote in post #19
Lyn

It's amazing when I think of just how many little workshops like that I worked in fro 15 to 18. I think my average job only lasted 6 to 8 weeks and 3 months would have been like a lifetime. Then I only worked in the winter months, summer was for travelling around the county courtesy of the good old thumb.

and its amazing phil just how many little workshops still exist especially around the jewellery quarter...i can just imagine you thumbing a ride....

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#21 by Deleted User , Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:25 am

Good pics Lyn.........what an interesting place.

#22 by astoness , Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:21 pm

thanks den i thought it was a fascinating place to have a look round...should be more to see after the restoration....

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#23 by Sheldonboy , Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:41 pm

Quote: phil wrote in post #17
Some good photos there Lyn, I especially like the guillotine, I remember working one just like that when I was sixteen for cutting brass & copper sheeting. It is probably too technical for SB to work out.

How very Jovial

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#24 by Sheldonboy , Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:51 pm

Quote: astoness wrote in post #18
thanks phil...you can see from the last pic that there was only a few candles dotted around..ive got a little lumix camera not the highest spec but i was pleased with the pics..dont know why but when i saw the guilotene i kind of imagined SB standing next to it working like the clappers....

A marvellous thread Lyn, the humour is especially elevating. Though how my name and coffins go together I can only wonder.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#25 by astoness , Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:21 pm

Quote: Sheldonboy wrote in post #24

A marvellous thread Lyn, the humour is especially elevating. Though how my name and coffins go together I can only wonder.

[Laugh Out Loud]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#26 by Sheldonboy , Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:55 pm

Quote: astoness wrote in post #25
Quote: Sheldonboy wrote in post #24

[Laugh Out Loud]

I know you have had trouble with this thread Lyn, so far I havn't. SB

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#27 by astoness , Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:30 am

last chance to visit newmans folks before restoration begins and it re opens for tours...link below if anyone is interested...

http://www.eventelephant.com/coffinworksfactorytours

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#28 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:37 am

I'm not going there, they might just take one look at me and box me up. Thinking it's hardly worth me leaving.

phil

#29 by Voltman , Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:52 pm

Those little presses are actually called Bench Screw Presses, not drop forgers. They used to be found everywhere but aren't so common these days. I suspect they will all disappear as scrap and then we will miss them, but too late as usual.

http://www.gutenberg.org/
Latest Posts

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#30 by astoness , Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:29 am

Quote: Voltman wrote in post #29
Those little presses are actually called Bench Screw Presses, not drop forgers. They used to be found everywhere but aren't so common these days. I suspect they will all disappear as scrap and then we will miss them, but too late as usual.

sorry if i confused volty...the presses are actually in the drop forge room...drop forge is on the other side to the presses...couple of piccies here...

on saturday i shall be joining the conservation trust as a lot of paper archival material has now been bought out of storage and we need to start sifting though it all to determine what shall go back into the newman factory after restoration and what will go back into storage..think i posted this before but it is hoped that the dumb waiter and all the machinery in the drop forge room will be fully operational when newmans re opens for guided tours after restoration is completed so will not end up with the tat man..

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

Last edited 02.26.2013 | Top

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor