Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: NEWMAN BROS COFFIN FITTING WORKS

#31 by Voltman , Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:24 pm

I see it all now, some of it.
I have never seen a Drop Forge like that before, so I didn't recognise the part that was showing in the earlier photo's.

http://www.gutenberg.org/
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/
Latest Posts

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#32 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:54 pm

Neither have I Volty, they are very low down and it must have been a backbreaking job operating them. I worked in a drop forging shop at one time and the men who operated them worked in a pit like arrangement. With the weight of the hammer dropping all the time no bench would put up with the continual banging so a brickwork bench a foot or so off the ground was where the drop forges were set up with a pit running along it and the operatives stood in the pit and used their foot in a noose at the end of those ropes you can see, to swing the hammers.

phil

#33 by astoness , Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:09 pm

Quote: phil wrote in post #32
Neither have I Volty, they are very low down and it must have been a backbreaking job operating them. I worked in a drop forging shop at one time and the men who operated them worked in a pit like arrangement. With the weight of the hammer dropping all the time no bench would put up with the continual banging so a brickwork bench a foot or so off the ground was where the drop forges were set up with a pit running along it and the operatives stood in the pit and used their foot in a noose at the end of those ropes you can see, to swing the hammers.

spot on phil..this is how this drop forge worked...the men were virtually standing on one leg all day with the other in a noose type thingy...

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
C. Kunzle Ltd. Garretts Green Lane Birmingham

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor