Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Lee Hall Farm, Yardley.

#31 by lynne webb , Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:07 pm

This all seems to fit and I dont think I will ever be 100 per cent, but this is so close. So thank you all for your help, I'm really grateful especially because I dont know that side of town at all...
Lynne.

lynne webb
Date registered 10.05.2011

#32 by astoness , Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:13 pm

its a pleasure lynne i just did a bit or research....just a last bit of info..lea hall was once a sub manor of yardley which had its own manor house..i will still keep looking to see if i can find an actual photograph of it though...what annoys me is the farm was 16th century and was demolished to make way for the station...[Frowning]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 03.14.2012 | Top

#33 by lynne webb , Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:24 pm

I agree Lyn, but thats progress, well thats what they tell us..it stinks.

lynne webb

#34 by Sheldonboy , Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:14 pm

This kind of thing is happening now, don't forget the high speed rail link.

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#35 by Voltman , Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:53 pm

I have no idea what the final outcome of this thread is but would like to point out that Lea Hall, where I lived for my teenage years and then some, is still called Lea Hall, is not part of Kitts Green and exists on both sides of Lea Hall Road.
What confuses me is that the building known as "Lea Hall" was allegedly knocked down to accommodate Lea Hall station but the gate posts and driveway are, or were until recently, just on the Lea Village side of the ( closed to traffic ) railway bridge. The driveway to the hall now being the rear access road to the council houses built on the village side of the tracks. The crappy station is on the Lea Hall Road side of the tracks. The railway line predates the station by a good number of years so I have never been able to see how the station and the hall were competing for existence.

You and I should use an endless stream of vowels and consonants to form the words we will use to effectively assemble a forceful tirade of well constructed sentences which will aid and assist us in our tireless struggle to virtually eliminate verbosity

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#36 by astoness , Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:39 am

thanks for the post volty..i know kitts green is not part of lea hall..all i noted was that on mikes map kitts green was to the right of lea hall...we have sorted it now but i still want to find an actual photo of the farm if i can..

SB please dont mention the HS2 [Frowning]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#37 by Sheldonboy , Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:30 pm

Lyn why can't I mention the
HS2

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#38 by astoness , Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:28 pm

Posted by Sheldonboy
Lyn why can't I mention the
HS2

..just another of pet hates SB...but thats another topic...

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

Last edited 03.15.2012 | Top

#39 by astoness , Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:15 pm

good result for lynne...e rolls confirm that the farm house at lea hall yardley showing on mikes map was indeed her rellies..nice also to have that painting and drawing of it..

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#40 by astoness , Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:44 pm

sorry lynne missunderstanding in the info i got..your rellies were not at the farm in 1920 as i first thought..will pm you reasons why...but its still the right farm as you have them at that address on the cenus for 1911..i really must pay more attention..lol

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

Last edited 03.15.2012 | Top

#41 by lynne webb , Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:19 pm

Its OK Lyn, I only wanted to confirm the address and that does seem right..

lynne webb

#42 by Roger Lee , Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:05 pm

Posted by signman
Lyn,The Lea hall on the map is the LEA HALL tavern,I know the area like the back of my hand.
If you click on the link it tells you about LEA HALL farm,I doubt if there were two,but there again I could be wrong.

Sorry, the Lea Hall on the map is actually the Lea Hall mansion which used to sit on the grounds which were the corner of Folliot Road and Lea Village Road, thought to be first owned/occupied by the De La Lees and an Earl. There are three mansions in the area at the time, Lea Hall, Sheldon Hall and what is now know as the Poachers Pocket. If you look at old maps all there were connected via road/dirt track by way of Lea Village Road, Gressel Lane and Lea Ford Road.

You are correct about the name though, in the early days it was known as the Lea Hall Tavern before it's name changed to the Lea Tavern and then later, Tavern On The Green in an attempt to clean the place up...

Roger Lee  
Roger Lee
Date registered 04.02.2012

#43 by Roger Lee , Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:25 pm

Posted by Voltman
I have no idea what the final outcome of this thread is but would like to point out that Lea Hall, where I lived for my teenage years and then some, is still called Lea Hall, is not part of Kitts Green and exists on both sides of Lea Hall Road.
What confuses me is that the building known as "Lea Hall" was allegedly knocked down to accommodate Lea Hall station but the gate posts and driveway are, or were until recently, just on the Lea Village side of the ( closed to traffic ) railway bridge. The driveway to the hall now being the rear access road to the council houses built on the village side of the tracks. The crappy station is on the Lea Hall Road side of the tracks. The railway line predates the station by a good number of years so I have never been able to see how the station and the hall were competing for existence.

You are correct about Lea Hall being no part of Kitts Green, in fact it was only known as Lea Hall due to the Lea Hall mansion. Lea Village isn't Kitts Green either, it's been a major misconception for many years that this part of Birmingham is "Kitts Green" which of course falls to the east of Lea Hall and Lea Village.

The railway line has been there since 1838 when the London to Birmingham railway link was installed. 99 years later in 1937 is when Lea Hall station was built and opened. Lea Hall itself was left derelict a long time before the station came along, by 1933 Birmingham City Council had already started work on building a new 3600 housing estate, a run down mansion as Lea Hall was would have had no place in those modern times.

I have found out through research on the matter that the old bridge was actually part of the entrance to the old Lea Hall. I have also found out that the green area which stretches down to where the tavern used to be had wrought iron railings that surrounded everything from the old Lea Hall and along the Lea Village Road and Hallmoor Road. Within this area was trees and woodland with a pond somewhere within it, all of this was maintained by someone who had a wooden hut there (maybe lived there) and looked after all of the grounds.

Roger Lee  
Roger Lee

#44 by Roger Lee , Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:29 pm

Posted by phil
Hi Roger

Welcome to the forum, you seem pretty well up on Lee Hall, are you local to there or do you have a special interest?

Phil

Hi Phil, thank you!

I'm a local lad and so were my family back in the 40's. I first moved to the village back in 1979 and my dad told me stories about the place. My unlce used to go to Mirfield School. I moved back here 12 years ago just around the corner from where I used to live, over the years I've been trying to find as much as I can about the history of Lea Village which of course Lea Hall was a part of.

Roger Lee  
Roger Lee

#45 by Sheldonboy , Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:34 pm

To echo Phil welcome to the Forum Roger. I live quite close to you Sheldonboy.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor