Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Lee Hall Farm, Yardley.

#16 by Sheldonboy , Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:45 pm

Lynne I suggest it could have been around the Lea Hall road area. It's just down the road from Lea Village.

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#17 by Sheldonboy , Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:46 pm

Posted by astoness
i know lynnes me mate SB but even she cant escape me hammer sometimes...[Little LOL] and lynnes family ancestry is always interesting and can an age to fathom out but it keeps us out of trouble..

Lyn it would take more than that to keep you out of trouble.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#18 by mikejee , Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:38 pm

I have the map below which I copied from somewhere , apparently 1938, which shows the area of Lea Hall farm and Bloomers (?). It also showsarea marked Shuttlewell. Not sure what that is. Quality is poor, so have tried to mark areas on a 1919 OS map. I think Lea Hall Farm estate is in red and shuttlewell in blue. It makes it a little clearer, though doesn't make clear which is farmhouse.

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#19 by astoness , Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:38 am

mike i think it says 1838 on the map not 1938...im so glad you have posted this as im now convinced that i have seen a pic of this farm in a book before demolision..i will now plod on and try to find it for lynne...

thanks mike...

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#21 by signman ( deleted ) , Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:49 am

I have just found out that LEA HALL FARM was in WOOD LANE, which is in Handsworth.

Attached pictures:
signman
Last edited Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:55 am | Top

#22 by signman ( deleted ) , Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:06 am

signman

#23 by astoness , Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:31 am

john the lea hall farm we are looking for a pic of clearly shows up on mikes map...it shows kitts green to the right of the farm...kitts green is nowhere near handsworth....

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

Last edited 03.14.2012 | Top

#24 by signman ( deleted ) , Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:04 am

Lyn,The Lea hall on the map is the LEA HALL tavern,I know the area like the back of my hand.
If you click on the link it tells you about LEA HALL farm,I doubt if there were two,but there again I could be wrong.

signman

#25 by signman ( deleted ) , Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:22 am

Istill think someone has got the name mixed up with Church end farm.

signman

#26 by mikejee , Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:46 am

It seems as if the old map I showed probably came from a pamphlet by W H Bulpitt in 1910 . I looked to see if I could find any further info on net , and no, but did find this gem:
100Years Ago At yesterday's meeting of the Yardley School Board, Mr W H Bulpitt presiding, it was decided to petition the House of Commons in favour of the Sale of Intoxicating Liquors to Children Bill. Mr Griffith, who voted against the motion expressed a wish that the petition should confine itself to children under the supervision of School Boards.

The Birmingham Daily Post, May 1901
Not sure exactly what the bill was, but seems as if at least some people were in favour of selling alcohol to children . don't think that would occur today

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#27 by Sheldonboy , Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:26 pm

Posted by signman
Lyn,The Lea hall on the map is the LEA HALL tavern,I know the area like the back of my hand.
If you click on the link it tells you about LEA HALL farm,I doubt if there were two,but there again I could be wrong.

John the Tavern at Lea Hall was in Lea Village, it was called the Lea Tavern. The Village (and I use the term very loosly) comes under Kitts Green these days. The area is very rundown.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#28 by lynne webb , Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:08 pm

I dont think this farm is in Handsworth. On the 1901 Census the rellie I am looking for was living at 490 Green Lane Bordesley. The children married and he died in the Meriden Registration District. I know I shouldn't assume anything but there doesnt seem to be any Handsworth connection.
Lynne.

lynne webb
Date registered 10.05.2011

#29 by astoness , Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:09 pm

lynne as you know ive been out most of the day but i shall resume my search for the pic of lea hall farm which im sure i have seen in one of me books...

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#30 by astoness , Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:44 pm

Posted by phil
Lynne

I don't think there was a Farm called Lea Hall Farm out Sheldon way, but I will take a look at the maps to check. There was however a Farm near Lea Hall when it was demolished in 1937 to make way for the station. This painting is titled a Farm near Lea Hall.

On the other hand there was a farm called Lea Hall Farm at Handsworth, see the b & w photo taken c1900.

Phil

lynne phils painting of the farm was in lea hall road..as suggested by SB..to the right of lea hall road is kitts green so the lea hall farm marked on mikes map has to be the one in phils painting...ive just been on the lea hall site and there is another pic of it...i think this is the one lynne...they were built in the 16th century and as phil said demolished in 1937

Attached pictures:

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor