Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Crutchley

#61 by astoness , Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:56 pm

also a map of the road susan...no 10 is shaded in blue...quite sizable houses by the looks of it..

lyn

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#62 by SusanC , Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:24 am

WOW .. Thank you so very much for everyone's help with my lifelong endeavor!! Mike .... Lynne ..... Astoness ..... If I could I would fly right over and give you all a big hug and kiss. If there is EVER any research I can help ANYONE with here in the US ...... please do not hesitate to ask ....... I can never repay you for the kindness you and all "My Brummies" have shown me. Regards, Susan

SusanC  
SusanC
Date registered 02.02.2012

#63 by astoness , Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:53 am

hi susan..firstly i do hope all is well with you after the recent storm disaster....happy to help in some small way with your george crutchley...lynne may have already told you that as far as enquires go he is not buried at handsworth cemetary...key hill or warstone lane...handsworth would have been the obvious place as george died in handsworth so maybe you could email them and ask them to double check just in case the name was miss transcribed...all we found was 2 baby george crutchleys buried at key hill in 1897 and 1906

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#64 by SusanC , Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:29 pm

Hello all ..... First I want to thank you for your concern during the past storm. Destruction north of us and into Staten Island and Long Island is something I had never imagined would be possible in this day and age. Many friends and family have been totally wiped out. Homes are gone into the ocean or moved off their foundations. Main gas lines have been ruptured and about 300 miles of main lines must be replaced along Long Beach Island here in NJ before any thought of reconnection can be made. Our governor Christie is a "no nonsense" type politician. [He turned down offers to run for president because all he cares about us NJ and he said that was a big enough project all on its own] has made the utility companies step it up and had already made arrangement before the storm hit for crews from as far away as Florida and Arkansas to be ready and waiting. Most of north jersey [about 40 miles north of us is where we have the "unofficial line"] is on gasoline rationing. Another northeaster is due on Wednesday with 2 days of rain and wind and lows in the mid to high 30's. The people are taking over where the politicians are dragging their feet. BACK TO GENEALOGY .... I was wondering if my George Crutchley might be buried with his first wife Eliza Capas who died 20 Mar 1871 while residing at 85 Coleshill street Birmingham - Aston? - not sure of the difference. George and Eliza had several children who died in infancy and as late as 1869 these children were all christened at Bishops Ryder Church, Birmingham. Sincere thanks for all the help and caring, Regards Susan

SusanC  
SusanC

#65 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:12 pm

Hi Sue

Firstly I'm sure I speak for everybody when I say we are all glad to hear that you weathered the storm well, in all aspects of the saying. I might have mentioned before that I do not dabble in genealogy myself, but I'm sure there are others who might be able to assist you with your enquiries. What I might be able to help you with is a photo of Bishop Ryder Church, Gem Street which to confuse you more was in Gosta Green. The confusion comes because Aston at one time was separate to Birmingham, but was slowly enveloped by Birmingham between 1838 and 1891.

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

#66 by astoness , Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:21 pm

hi susan..just to echo phils words in saying that i am so pleased that you and your family are ok...i know its been very hard going for so many others and wish them all well in building their lives back up again...

lyn xx

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#67 by Deleted User , Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:23 pm

Good luck Susan .

#68 by Sheldonboy , Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:26 pm

Yes good luck Susan and to all affected by this awful storm

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#69 by SusanC , Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:15 pm

Thank you all .... What we are going thru is just a drop in the hat compared to what our Brummie and European ancestors endured during the bombings of the two World Wars. And ..... You all made an awesome comeback!! Hats off to our early English ancestors!! I have a question for Phil about the Bishop Ryder Church photo ..... any idea on the time frame of that pic?? Also .... where would I find a time line for the town naming for Gosta Green -- Aston .... from beginning into incorporation into Birmingham? Thank you all ... Regards, Susan

SusanC  
SusanC

#70 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:57 am

Susan

I have no definite date for the photo, but from looking at it I would date it c1900 or maybe even a tad earlier. As for Gosta Green I think the area was always known as Gosta Green, (Gorsty Green or even earlier Gostie Green) was part of the parish of Aston before it was swallowed up by Birmingham. I'm sure if you put those names into Google then you will come up with something.

Just had a quick look there is a pretty good descrption here, http://billdargue.jimdo.com/placenames-g...-g/gosta-green/

phil
Last edited Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:05 am | Top

#71 by SusanC , Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:07 pm

Phil ... Thanks for the link to area histories .... I will be spending many hours researching the various areas that I know link to my Crutchley's. Your pictures and everyone's help is very much appreciated. Regards, Susan

SusanC  
SusanC

#72 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:04 pm

Susan

I suppose you have seen whats been posted about Gosta Green here on this site

Gosta Green

phil

#73 by SusanC , Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:48 pm

Phil ....Yes and I have been on that site since last night ..... probably about 18hours now. Oh Well ...... sleep is overrated ... lol lol ..... I am in the midst of preparing a genealogical report for the remaining Crutchley's from our Walter son of George. [There are only 3 remaining females with the birth surname of Crutchley left, and since we are all married, once we are gone that is the end. I guess it is already the end. In my report I am including scans, pics and area descriptions for my grandchildren so that they will have the knowledge of how our family evolved.

Do you think since I know where George Crutchley and his first wife Eliza Capas were married, that I might be able to get more information on just who his mother was?? Is there a place to send for a copy of what would be contained on the registration form?
According to England & Wales, FreeBMD Marriage Index: 1837-1915
1852 > Q4-Oct-Nov-Dec > C > p11
Surname Name Sup.Registrar's District Vol. Page
Capas Eliza Aston 6d 371
Crutchley George Aston 6d 371
Marriage Place: St Peters & St Pauls, Aston Juxta, Birmingham, Warwick, England

When he wed his second wife Sarah Sophia Lee on "18 Jul 1871 by License in the Parish of Ashow, County of Warwick in the Parish Church" he stated that his father was "Thomas Crutchley, Farmer" on the church form.

Thanks again for all your help and encouragement!! Kindest Regards, Susan

SusanC  
SusanC

#74 by astoness , Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:41 pm

just a quick message susan..you have probably gathered this already but georges marr to his first and second wife were both at the same church...aston parish church is the parish church of st peter and st paul..aston juxta..a lovely very old church which is still standing...wonder if its possable george is buried there..wished i had known a few months back because i took a walk round the churchyard...

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#75 by SusanC , Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:56 pm

Hi Lyn .... The scan I have for George's 2nd marriage states "Ashow" is that the same as Aston?? Susan

SusanC  
SusanC

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor