Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Crutchley

#16 by mikejee , Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:16 am

Susan
Not much to add. In the case you are referring to Warwick would have meant Warwickshire. I think, though cannot be sure that the reason that it is often just described thus is because another way of listing it is the county of Warwick, Warwick being the county town. You get similar with Worcester & Worcestershire.
I would agree with Phil that the area was fairly prosperous. This is possibly because it was largely commercial, and although the buildings originally had gardens behing, these were largely built on for commercial purposes and were not infilled with low quality tenements, as happened nearer the centre of Birmingham. Around 1890 furthe r housing was erected in the Lawrence st area , just north of Coleshill St . It was reported that these were let for between 5s 6d and 7s a week ( about £0.27-£0.35/week). at the time there were 27,000 people paying less than 3s 6d/week (< about £0.17/week), so the area was relatively well off.
mike

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#17 by lynne webb , Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:30 am

Susan, Aston Juxta is St. Peters and St Pauls Church, Aston. The marriage to Sarah Sophie Lee appears to be at Ashorn, Warwick, Warwickshire.I cant find a 3rd marriage, any ideas where or when.
Lynne.

lynne webb
Date registered 10.05.2011

#18 by lynne webb , Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:46 am

Susan, I dont know whether you already have this but theres a Sophia Lee, a servant at the Rodney Inn, Coleshill Street, on the 1871 Census. She seems to have dropped the Sarah.

lynne webb
Date registered 10.05.2011

#19 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:40 am

Susan

Both the churches you mention were local to Coleshill St. Bishop Ryder was in Gem Street which would be just to the rear of Coleshill St and St James the Lesser was in Barrack St Nechells a brisk 10 to 15 minutes walk away. Bishop Ryder was demolished c1960 and St James was bombed out during the war.

Phil

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

#20 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:04 pm

Susan

Here are some photos of Coleshill St, I would imagine these were taken not long before the whole street was flattened by demolition. The only location that I can state with any certainty is the one with the Gaiety Cinema on the left just before Gem st. Although most of the properties seem to be shops I would have thought they started out as houses and were converted to shops later as the area fell on hard times.

Phil

Attached pictures:
phil

#21 by Stirling Single , Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:29 pm

Hi Susan,
I've just found an advertisement for G.Crutchley, 85, Coleshill Street on the front of this programme that I have.
Lynn.

Attached pictures:
Stirling Single  
Stirling Single
Date registered 03.12.2011

#22 by Stirling Single , Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:40 pm

Actually, Does anyone know what 'Purveyor to her Majesty the Queen' means. Would he in some way supplied the Queen with meat or would it have meant that he had a grade for supplying very good meat. This advert was in 1902.
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#23 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:19 pm

Lynn

I doubt that our friend supplied HM the Queen down in London. It probably meant that he supplied the local Cavalry Barracks down in Vauxhall a few moments walk away. Either that or he supplied some of the meat for a banquet when she visited Birmingham.

I note that the same programme mentions the Black Horse that was mentioned the other day. I read somewhere that an ex boxing champion took the pub over and had a gym where he used to give boxing lessons there.

Phil

phil

#24 by Stirling Single , Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:16 pm

Thanks Phil, I didn't exactly think that he would have taken his delivery to London !! but you have answered my question well and I had missed that reference to the Black Lion. Thanks also for pointing that out.
Lynn

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#25 by mikejee , Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:50 pm

Apaprently the Black lion closed in 1929 when they were building the new fire station

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member

#26 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:26 pm

Mike

You say that as if it was something to do with the new station being built, was it? I can't see how as it was nowhere near it.

Phil

phil

#27 by SusanC , Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:05 pm

Thanks Guys! .... As far as Sarah Sophia Lee I wasn't aware of her place of employ, but that would make sense, as well as her dropping he Sarah. At the time of their marriage Sarah Sophia Lee was just 25 and dear ole George was 40, according to the parish register for ASHOW?. The register also states George's father was Thomas Crutchley,farmer and Sarah Sophia Lee's father was James Lee, farmer. The mention of George as 'Purveyor to her Majesty the Queen' .. it had always been passed down that George's family as well as his brother Henry Herbert Crutchley were "butchers in the Queens service". I had always passed on that since I had no proof and had found that in previous researching, families had a way of trying to portray themselves to be better than they really were. To my amazement, my Crutchley's seem to be exactly as family legends have said they were. I know that the one's that I have encountered my entire life were "brutely honest". Sometimes good -- sometimes bad. Could I ask a favor or Lynne to scan the advertisement of G.Crutchley and post it. I would love to add it to my research.
Thank You and Regards,
Susan

SusanC  
SusanC
Date registered 02.02.2012

#28 by SusanC , Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:11 pm

Lynn,
Thank You for the scan. I should have read further before posting my first reply.
Susan

SusanC  
SusanC
Date registered 02.02.2012

#29 by mikejee , Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:43 am

Phil
I admit I was quoting McKenna without thinking when saying that about the Black lion. Not a very good idea, as he can go into flights of fantasy at times, though the c1937 map does show a large clear piece of ground which would include the Black lion, so the year of closure is probably about right
Mike

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member

#30 by mikejee , Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:11 pm

I take it Susan that you know Henry Crutchley's shop was at 181 Ashted row (in 1873 anyway). Incidently, have you had a chance to look at the 19th century Birmingham post. There are a very few relevent items as follows, which are below in case you haven't seen them
They are notice of death of Eliza (20.3.71); notice that a G Crutchley was a church warden (24.5.88); prosecution of george for bleeding calves (18.4.78); advert for butchers assistant (22.1.87); also . not george but a joseph crutchley in 20 coleshill st (so probably related) a declaration (16.5.71)
One Crutchley that kept cropping uo was Henry (Bosger) Crutchley, a prize fighter. Don't know if he was one of yours
mike

Attached pictures:
mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Baron family of Charles Arthur St

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor