Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

The Boundary of Duddeston

#1 by Stirling Single , Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:07 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

I've tried to scan the piece of this map, {not very well, I admit} that has the boundry of Duddeston on it and I think there is one - tiny little piece - of Aston Road running along the Border Line of Duddeston and Nechells.
Does anyone have any views on it. I don't know what the date of the map is. It's just one I got on eBay.
Lynn

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
Stirling Single  
Stirling Single
Date registered 03.12.2011

Last edited 09.24.2013 | Top

RE: The Boundry of Duddeston

#2 by Stirling Single , Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:22 pm

I also, - if you can see it, in very small writing, marked Gt. Lister Street as Henty Holder lived there in 1841
Phil, have you covered Gt.Lister Street as yet, I'll have a look and see if you have.
Am progressing slowly forwards with all this and have now got to the stage of filling in many gaps.
Thanks again, everyone, for helping me in so many ways.
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

RE: The Boundry of Duddeston

#3 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:37 pm

Lynn

These are all Aston Road, I think within the boundary you have drawn on your map. Not as early as you would like I think, but they are all I have.

Phil

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

Attached pictures:
phil

RE: The Boundary of Duddeston

#4 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:44 pm

Lynn

Any idea where on Great Lister St, because when I knew it there were more shops than residential premises, and although there were many large houses in the nearby area I don't think Great Lister St was known for its residential appeal but more as a shopping area.

Phil

We will remember them.

phil

#5 by Stirling Single , Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:06 am

Phil,
1837 Henry was a butcher annd address when married - Aston Road, Duddeston
1838 son born - address given as 81,Coleshill Street
1839 Henry - a butcher in 81, Coleshill Street
1840 daughter born - address given as 81,Coleshill Street
1841 Census - Gt.Lister Street in the Parish/Hamlet of Duddeston and Nechells - No profession or trade given - and no I haven't got any more of an address on this, as yet.
and by 1850 there was a new butcher in 81,Coleshill Street and Henry was in 89,Coleshill Street in the Rodney Inn
so - at this stage of his life I would think that in Aston Road and Gt.Lister Street he would have been more likely to have been living in accomodation that would have been within the means of a butcher before he moved on in life starting with the Rodney Inn.
Phil - Do you have any photo's of Gt. Lister Street - I haven't got down to looking to see if you have covered that as yet. If you have, tell me were to look it up.

I wonder would anyone have a street directory that I haven't found to see if Henry may have had a place for the family to live in, in 1841 in Gt.Lister Street whilst he was getting the property in Coleshill Street into order to finally become Holders Music/Concert Hall etc.

Thanks again.
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#6 by mikejee , Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:47 am

Lynn
Tried to find Harry in the census (ancestry) to see if I could get a better idea of where he was by his neaighbours, but couldn't find him. In order to try & find him, when was it he was born . I know you have probably given it somewhere, but I don't seem to have written it down

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#7 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:03 pm

Lyn

A few photos of Great Lister St, I have more if you find out where Henry lived I might be able to pinpoint the location if not the actual house.

Phil

We will remember them.

Attached pictures:
phil

#8 by Stirling Single , Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:08 pm

Thanks Mike,

Henry Holder was born in Stoke Orchard, Bishops Cleeve, Gloucestershire on the 21st November 1811 and died in Lansdowne House, Gt.Malvern, Worcestershire on 27th Jan 1880

Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#9 by Stirling Single , Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:17 pm

Thanks Phil,

I've just seen that you've put on a good selection of pictures of Gt.Lister Street - That gives a great overall view and I agree with what you originally said about it being a shopping area.
Phil If I get anything more on his address in Gt.Lister Street I'll let you know.

Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#10 by mikejee , Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:45 pm

Lynn
Can't find him on the ancestry 1841 census, or on the Pink pges transcript. in fact I can't find anyone on Gt Lister st. so it might be that this parish is missing on ancestry for that year

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member

#11 by Stirling Single , Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:23 pm

Thanks for looking Mike. What happened on the 1841 Census was they had him down as Henry Holden instead of Holder.
May I ask - What is the Pink pges transcript, what do you mean by that and how do you look it up.
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#12 by mikejee , Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:51 pm

Lyn
The Pink pages are a free transcription of some of the warwickshire censuses at http://www.hunimex.com/warwick/. It is a bit awkward to consult, and as i ahve ancestry i don't often use it.
Now, regarding Henry Holderr in 1841. Three entries before Henry is a John Richards , pawnbroker, and two entries after is William turner. John richards , from directories is at no 13, and William Turner is in court 5 . Brewery st (later Adam St) is between no 14 and 15. This all fits in nicely with Henry being in th ehouse marked in red on the 1889 map. now this is all assuming that there have not been large changes between 1841 and 1889, but it does all hold together, and i don't think numbering will have changed in the period, even if houses have been knocked down and replaced.
Mike

Attached pictures:
mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member

Last edited 11.13.2011 | Top

#13 by Stirling Single , Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:18 am

Mike,

A question I've wondered about - is - can you tell me what does e.g. Court 1 , Court 2 etc. mean.

Then Mike, on your map - what street are you in - is it near to Gt.Lister Street or Aston Road which are the two places that he is mentioned in.
If I had the name of the street running down the map ?something dams street then I could look the street up.
Mike, from which directories do you get this map please.
I'm on Ancestry so am able to look at anything on that.
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#14 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:41 am

Lynn

Courts were a row or couple of rows of houses off the street often a the back of other houses. Sometimes they had wide openings for access but often the only access was a tunnel entry that went through the street houses. At the beginning of the 20th century there was a move to open up some of these courts to more light and fresh air by demolishing the street fronting houses.

This is a typical back court in the Newtown area of Birmingham early last century.

Phil

We will remember them.

Attached pictures:
phil

#15 by mikejee , Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:05 am

Sorry Lynn, I should have added the names of the streets. Below is a c 1913 map showing gt lister st with same building marked in red.First map was from old maps site . The position was worked out from 1941 census, 1841, 1845, 1855 and 1873 directories
Mike

Attached pictures:
mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Kyrwicks Lane

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor