Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: The Boundary of Duddeston

#16 by Stirling Single , Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:11 pm

Hi Mike,

I've been sitting here trying to work this all out and I must be thick.
When you say that John Richards is at Nu 13 - Do you mean Nu 13 Gt. Lister Street
I think that the easiest way for my brain would be to say to you - " what Number do you think, that the house was, that Henry was in" and hope that you don't mind me being so dumb.
You must have spent ages looking this all up.

Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single
Date registered 03.12.2011

#17 by mikejee , Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:47 pm

Sorry Lynn, I was probably giving you too much information. John Richards was at no 13 Gt Lister St. The first building going down Gt Lister St to the east after what is marked on the map as Adam St is no 15 Gt Lister St. Counting buildings, this makes Henry at no 21 Gt Lister St, which is marked in red on the two maps. I think this is correct unless something is very peculiar with the numbering.
Mike

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#18 by Stirling Single , Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:23 am

Mike,
I've looked up the Old Maps site and that is good.

When you say 'from directories' - are you referring to The Historical Directories site that I use or do you have another reference site that I could also refer to.

I understand the above two sites but I don't know where there is a site that will tell me that {e.g.} Nu 13 and 14 are on that corner.

Again, thanks Mike for your help.

Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#19 by Stirling Single , Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:05 am

Phil,

Mike has traced this to Number 21, Gt.Lister Street
Can this bring you any closer to the exact area as you said in a few postings back.

Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#20 by mikejee , Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:23 am

Lynn
I'm sorry,I didn't realise that you didn't know I had a collection of directories (electronic) of my own. I rarely use the Historical directories site, usually only for non Birmingham questions. In the 1873 whites directory, Brewery st ( later to become adam St) is shown as between 14 & 15. Hope that is a bit clearer
Mike

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#21 by Stirling Single , Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:51 am

Yes thanks Mike, You are very patient and very helpful.

Am beginning to get this all pieced to-gether quite nicely now.

Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#22 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:29 pm

Lyn

Would you believe that I must have about thirty photos of Great Lister St and not one of them shows the section of road between Windsor St and Adams St where No 21 was located. I can tell you it was next door to the post office at No 22 and that through the years no 21 became or was even then a drapers shop and that it ended it's days as a taxi cab operators place of business.

The only photo I could come up with is this factory premises that replaced most of the buildings on that frontage of Great Lister St in the 60's.

Phil

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

#23 by Stirling Single , Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:13 pm

Hi Phil,

At least we know what it looks like now and also if next to the Post Office in the past it must have had a shop frontage to it.

It all gives one somewhat of an idea of what it may have been like.

Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Kyrwicks Lane

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor