Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: ASTON/LOZELLS/NEWTOWN PICS

#46 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:04 pm

Mike

I wonder if there is a mistake somewhere and it's something like Duddeston Row, Aston. It's close to Coleshill St and it would have been in Aston in the mid 1800's?

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#47 by mikejee , Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:53 pm

Possibly Phil. The directories pre 1841 were not very clear, and gave only limited detail -usually no street number. and not very complete

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#48 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:12 pm

Mike

It's such a strange address that Lynn has got, Aston Street, Duddeston. Duddeston St, Aston I could understand.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#49 by mikejee , Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:30 pm

I agree phil
i did check what the district was called in the census for Aston St for 1851, but no mention of duddeston

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member

#50 by astoness , Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:39 pm

hi lynn....are you still wanting pics of aston street or is there still some confusion over the address..

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#51 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:16 pm

Lyn

I think there is some confusion over the address not on the part of Lynn but in the records, but I'm sure there is no harm in posting some photos of Aston Rd.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#52 by Stirling Single , Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:07 pm

Thanks Phil and Mike,
Firstly, would it have been likely that they would have lived above a shop in those days.
I will post the writing on the marriage certificate to see if you make anything different from it.
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single
Date registered 03.12.2011

#53 by Stirling Single , Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:15 pm

Yes please Lyn - It would be good to have some pictures of Aston Road.
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#54 by Stirling Single , Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:22 pm

Do you all read this the way I have as Aston Road , Duddeston but did they mean Duddeston Street Was there a Duddeston Street off Aston Road.
Lynn.

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#55 by Stirling Single , Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:33 pm

Does this help in any way and I don't know where to look yet to follow this reference up.
Lynn.

Attached pictures:
Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#56 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:18 pm

Lynn

All I can say is that they were married at the church of St Peter & St Paul which is the parish church of Aston and I believe Duddeston is part of the same parish because all the records for churches that once stood in the area are now held at Aston Parish Church. This may account for the use of the name Duddeston.

At the time of the marriage I would have thought Aston Rd was solidly within the district of Gosta Green which is on the edge of Nechells and Aston, but now I believe is classed as part of Aston.

I think Mike who is more used to records and searches than myself may be of more help with the records you have posted.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#57 by signman ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:39 pm

According to the book Birmingham (A history in maps), Aston Road was in the parish of Duddeston and Nechells.

signman

#58 by mikejee , Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:53 pm

Lynn
The list you have given are of the "wards" into which the area was divided on the census adn electoral pruposes. This, as i understand it did not necessarily have much relationship to church parishes directly, though they often tended to be similar. . I said previously that I had looked to see which wward aston road was in in 1851. Obviously it had changed since 1841 (your list). Further to this I had realised just before your post that the 1839 birmingham map showed the various ward boundaries. Below is attached a portion of the map . the area to the east of the red line is in that marked with a "5". this is designated (then) as duddestone & Nechells
mike

Attached pictures:
mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member

#59 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:05 pm

Yes John I have that book, but I didn't think when this wedding took place in 1837 Aston was part of Birmingham as that didn't happen until 1938 and until then most of the districts including Nechells, Vauxhall and Duddeston were all part of Aston.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#60 by astoness , Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:33 pm

lynn i will see if i have any pics of aston road...may have one or two...not sure if phil has any...

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor