Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Prince of Wales Pub Coleshill Street/Gem Street 1940

#16 by mikejee , Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:55 am

Lynn
This question has come up before (on another forum i think) and here is a repeat of what I found then:
In 1839 all the street was New Thomas St ( as shown in 1839 map) . By 1841 (1841 Pigotts directory and also on 1851 Tallis map) Gem St referred to the upper part of the street and New Thomas St to the lower part, and this continued till 1872 (Post office directory). However , by 1873 New Thomas St had been incorporated into Gem St (Whites directory). Understanding this is complicated by the fact that the 1866 map (on mapseeker) names Gem st and puts the name correctly on the upper part of the street, but leaves the lower part of the street unnamed. It is not unreasonable for people to assume the whole st is Gem St, but this is not so. Carl Chinn confuses the issue by stating (“The Streets of Brum”) that New Thomas St was changed to Gem St “probably around the time of the building of Corporation St “
I hope that reasonably understandable and not too complicated.
mike

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#17 by Stirling Single , Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:07 pm

Mike,
Well explained and I would have been a - Long Time - pieceing that all to-gether myself.
Very many thanks.
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single
Date registered 03.12.2011

#18 by Voltman , Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:22 pm

This is an interesting thread, with a lot to read thus far and I know nothing helpful, but if I might suggest that the
STC is simply Coleshill ST C(irca) 1940 that will be my tiny contribution.

“I have found out that there ain't no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them.” – Mark Twain
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/ [Spacer]

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 08.08.2011 | Top

#19 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:40 am

Volty

That's very astute of you, and I think I have to agree with you. It seems that they have missed a space between ST & C1940. Well done Volty.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#20 by mikejee , Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:28 am

Yes volty that makes perfect sense.

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#21 by steph ( deleted ) , Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:45 pm

Hi new to the site I have for some time been looking for some pics of several pubs in Birmingham that my mother and father ran in the 60s the Prince of Wales was one of them I lived there in 65/67 Edward and Marion Jones were their names if anyone out there remembers us please get in touch. I went to Gem street school and remember the starting the demolition starting around that at that time and remember the inside of the pub well. I also remember some staff names Violet who worked for my dad and another woman's name Dot. Another name was Arthur Collins and his brother and Mick Mullve who was a JCB driver. I'm also looking for some other pics of the Brit in Hockley opposite St Georges school. Another one is the Star Vault's in Aston road north by Halfords and the ATV Studios, I need some pics of both to show my sons where I lived Oh and one other thing was my father had one arm so everyone knew him around that area.

steph
Last edited Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:46 am | Top

#22 by Sheldonboy , Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:01 pm

Hi Steph welcome to Brummies Talking. We are only a small group but it would be nice to see you get some help on this one. SB

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#23 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:39 pm

Hi Steph

Welcome to the forum, I must have missed this when I was on earlier today, I can manage a photo of The Star Vaults on the corner of Yates St - Aston Rd said to be the preferred watering hole of Noel Gordon before her daily stint on Lunchbox at the ATV studio across the road. I'll have a look around for a photo of the Brit, but I wouldn't be surprised if Astoness comes up with one as she has quite a few photos of pubs in the Hockley area.

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

#24 by astoness , Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:03 pm

Quote: steph wrote in post #21
Hi new to the site I have for some time been looking for some pics of several pubs in Birmingham that my mother and father ran in the 60s the Prince of Wales was one of them I lived there in 65/67 Edward and Marion Jones were their names if anyone out there remembers us please get in touch. I went to Gem street school and remember the starting the demolition starting around that at that time and remember the inside of the pub well. I also remember some staff names Violet who worked for my dad and another woman's name Dot. Another name was Arthur Collins and his brother and Mick Mullve who was a JCB driver. I'm also looking for some other pics of the Brit in Hockley opposite St Georges school. Another one is the Star Vault's in Aston road north by Halfords and the ATV Studios, I need some pics of both to show my sons where I lived Oh and one other thing was my father had one arm so everyone knew him around that area.

hi steph which prince of wales are you looking for..i may have one of the brit but will have to search my files and get back to you..

lyn

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

Last edited 02.17.2013 | Top

#25 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:12 pm

Lyn

I think Steph has got several of the Prince of Wales from this thread. I'm assuming that is the Prince of Wales she is talking about. I have this photo of the Brit that I think might be one of yours that were on those small sheets that you posted elsewhere. Problem is it hasn't enlarged very well, do you have a better one?

Attached pictures:
phil

#26 by astoness , Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:24 pm

i do phil just found 2 so i will post both..the brit corner of tower st and hampton st..

Attached pictures:

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#27 by Sheldonboy , Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:26 pm

Good work you two, that didn't take long.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#28 by astoness , Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:29 pm

We don't let the grass grow SB, mention a pub and we are there[Little LOL]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#29 by Sheldonboy , Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:33 pm

Quote: astoness wrote in post #28
we dont let the grass grow SB mention a pub and we are there[Little LOL]

One had noticed.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#30 by astoness , Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:38 pm

steph just to clarify, the Brittania was not so much opposite St. George school as along side it..it was opp St. George's church...here's a map from mike that he did for me some time back..

lyn

Attached pictures:

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor