Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Great Thread

#151 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:55 pm

The final alley off the High street before it turned off down toward the Bull Ring was The Leet Courtyard that housed the Leet Court, this would be before our memory I would imagine. There again perhaps SB might remember it.

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

#152 by Sheldonboy , Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:29 pm

Posted by phil
The final alley off the High street before it turned off down toward the Bull Ring was The Leet Courtyard that housed the Leet Court, this would be before our memory I would imagine. There again perhaps SB might remember it.

Of course Phil, I used to sweep the horse muck there.

Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have spent most of life trying to save.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#153 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:56 pm

If we quickly dodge the ever increasing traffic of the fifties we can cross the top of the Bull Ring (two words) and just inside New St we will come to Worcester St.

Attached pictures:
phil

#154 by signman ( deleted ) , Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:19 am

Is that you Phil, on the flat roof of Loo Bloom,doing a pre-demolition survey.

signman

#155 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:19 am

John

I wasn't even in the trade then, too young and beautiful.

Phil

phil

#156 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:10 pm

Especially for our newest member Susan a street plan of Birmingham in the 50's which still shows most of the street mentioned in this thread. So that she might see just where these streets that we no longer have were located.

Phil

Attached pictures:
phil

#157 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:20 pm

A couple more photos of Worcester St, one of them showing some of the damage caused by bombing raids during the last unpleasantness with our now EU partners.

Phil

Attached pictures:
phil

#158 by SusanC , Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:39 pm

THANK YOU Phil! I almost feel as if I should be paying you as my personal Tour Guide! But so much better since I wanted to see the area as my ancestors saw and lived it. Is Coleshill street on this map, or is it just outside beyond Dale End?
Susan

SusanC  
SusanC
Date registered 02.02.2012

#159 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:56 pm

As we make our way down Worcester St we pass a couple of narrow lanes that both lead back tp the Bull Ring. The forst one being Swan Passage with it's service entrance to the Swan hotel. The next one is Phillips Street with the Bell Inn halfway down and on the corner of the High Street (Bull Ring) The Board Inn.

Attached pictures:
phil

#160 by mollymandysb , Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:47 am

phil

I love looking at the old pictures of Brum but is there is anything left at all in the city or has it all gone? last time i came into Brum by bus from Redditch we turned left at the traffic lights in Moseley then straight down to Belgrave Rd, across the road and there were some houses with a path dividing them but they had front gardens and they were facing each other, they looked quite old, in fact that part I think it is Balsall Heath still looks as if it has not changed since the 1900.

Are there no little cottages around from way way back?

steph

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb
Date registered 08.11.2011

Last edited 02.12.2012 | Top

#161 by SusanC , Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:08 am

I have Googled and can't seem to come up with an explanation to an outsider as to "Just what is/was the Bull Ring" .... some type of open air market?? Also will someone be putting up pictures of the old 1840-1950 churches in the area of Coleshill st? ie: Bishop Ryder, St. James the Lessor; St.Peter and St. Paul. and if these pictures are already posted on Brummies Talking, where can I find them. Were they Roman Catholic or Episcopalian. [All our Crutchley's since our immigrant ancestor Walter Crutchley came over have been Episcopalian.] Is there a general website that handles historic church background? Thank You in advance I don't know what I would do without you guys!
Regards, Susan in "Still snowing in Southern NJ'

SusanC  
SusanC
Date registered 02.02.2012

#162 by mikejee , Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:52 am

Susan
Originally it was actually a Bull ring, an area simialr to thos ein Spain. After, and probably also before Britain became relatively civilised it was also a market area, and was in fact a short street by St Martins, the town church. After the area had been devastated by bombing in the war the area of the street , and more bacmae a shopping centre with market attached. This has more recently been completely rebuilt in a more modern style.

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#163 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:58 am

Susan

I have already posted photos of Bishop Ryder and St James the Lesser on your Crutchley thread (see post 19). I'll sort out some photos of other churches in the are for you. Like the others they have gone now.

The Bull Ring was an area of the market where bulls were baited. The bulls were tethered to a "ring" set in the floor and were set upon by dogs and sometimes even Bears. This was a frequent practise in many market towns but it was outlawed in 1835 by an act of Parliament.

After the recent changes to the Bull Ring the name was bastardised to Bullring a change that many of us older Brummies did not and do not agree with.

Phil

phil

#164 by scoobyflyer , Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:43 am

Phil this is just wonderful, and so interesting. Would you have any old photos of the "Tile Cross" area, i have lived in this area for 42 years but i cannot find any history or photos etc. hope you can help. thank you

scoobyflyer  
scoobyflyer
Date registered 02.13.2012

#165 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:25 pm

Hi there scoobyflyer

first on the agenda is a big welcome to the forum, I will start a new thread for you entitled Tile Cross and put what information and photos I have on it. We have other members from the locality that may want to add to it.

Phil

phil

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Baltimore, USA

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor