Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Baltimore, USA

#1 by Brumlad , Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:28 pm

Never visit this area during the 'high summer', temperatures are often into the 30's (Celsius) and the humidity is often above 75%. In fact, the heat index for today is 43 celsius but a humidity of only 54%.

Of course, the American's are celebrating the War of independence this year (1812).

I am often asked by acquaintences if we have July 4th in Britain, to which I invariably reply, "Yes. It comes the day after July 3rd." The other question I am frequently asked is whether we celebrate 'Thanksgiving', to which I usually reply, "Yes, it's when we finally got rid of the kids!"

Brumlad  
Brumlad
Date registered 06.02.2012

RE: Baltimore, USA

#2 by Voltman , Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:30 am

I see you don't work for the Baltimore Visitor Center (sic) then Brumlad?
Sounds like my kind of weather as it happens, a bit on the cool side maybe but rather pleasant all the same.

I have been in the states a few times at Thanksgiving, it's our usual holiday time, on one visit to a Florida apartment we did the whole turkey dinner thing.
As for the fourth, I just don't see the need. Or Haloween come to that.

I hate unfinished sente
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#3 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:23 am

I don't see why we would celebrate the 4th of July in the UK we would hardly celebrate being kicked out of America, I'm afraid if I were asked that question I would have to reply does the US celebrate the day the got kicked out of Viet Nam. I know its not quite the same thing, but it must stir up the same sort of feelings.

phil
Last edited Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:23 am | Top

#4 by Voltman , Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:38 am

Now you put it like that Phil I can see a good reason for celebrating the 4th.
If we had retained control it would probably have ended up costing us a fortune over the following couple of hundred years and then we would have just given it up anyway.
I think we got off light.

Pity we didn't keep somewhere as a kind of Gibraltar or Hong Kong though. New York for instance.

I hate unfinished sente
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#5 by mikejee , Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:33 pm

We did. It is called Canada, and the US sometimes thinks the same about Canada as the Chinese used to about Hong Kong

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
The Boundary of Duddeston

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor