Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Nechells

#211 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue May 07, 2013 2:30 pm

pudding

Whilst looking for a photo of the shop in my last post I came across this photo in my collection that I hadn't filed up to now. For a few moments I couldn't work it out, at least until I recognised the old brewery in Cato St North. I've worked it out that it could only have been taken from Victor Tower on Bloomsbury St, perhaps while it was being built and it shows the view of Saltley Rd, Saltley Viaduct and Saltley High St and continuing on up Alum Rock Rd.

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

RE: A fond memory of a Nechells resident

#212 by coalhole , Thu May 23, 2013 7:17 pm

HI! I LIVED AT 72 GT BROOKE ST JUST PAST THE GULLEY OPPOSITE THE NURSERY IN THE 50,S BUT IHAVE NEVER HEARD OF THAT ONE IS 36 ON THE SAME SIDE AS THE OLD VCARAGE?

coalhole  
coalhole
Date registered 05.17.2013

#213 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu May 23, 2013 7:48 pm

Hi Coalhole

Welcome to you, I read in your post on the other forum that you also lived in Great Francis St by the snooker hall in the 60's. Did you know the Evans family who lived the other side of the passage. Jimmy was a friend of mine at that time, I haven't seen him since they moved out for demolition.

phil

#214 by coalhole , Fri May 24, 2013 7:16 pm

Quote: phil wrote in post #1
Another area of Birmingham where I spent part of my life and a lot of my childhood. A dirty smelly disease ridden unsanitary place by anybodies reckoning.

But to a youngster it was a wonderland, that half demolished building was were you and your mates fought the final stages of WW2. That bomb site with the lone tree was Sherwood Forest and the tree was the oak beneath the branches which Robin was buried. Young minds could imagine so many different scenarios but the one we never imagined was that the area was a slum. That realisation came to us later when answering Neachells when asked where we lived it was written all over the faces of those that asked.

But that was later we were still young and collecting wood from those part demolished houses when the workmen had finished for the day. We would load it on to our go carts and transport it back to the communal brewhouse where we would saw and chop it into firewood to sell around the neighbourhood to get our admittance money to the local fleapit The Ashted on Saturday Afternoon. If we had made enough money we could even afford an ice cream from the Italian ice cream who sold his ices from a bike outside the cinema when the matinée finished.

Phil

I WELL REMEMBER QUEUEING UP AT THE SIDE DOOR BECAUSE THEY WOULD NEVER LET THAT MOB IN THROUGH THE FRONT DOOR I REMEMBER BATMAN AND FLASH GORDON WHERE REGULAR FEATURES THE ICE CREAM LADY WHO SOLD FROM HER BIKE WENT BY THE NAME OF TERESA I USED TO GO TO THE WASHING BATHS FROM THERE ON THE CORNER OF LITTLE FRANCIS ST AND SPEND HOURS IN THE BATH. (NO LUXURY OF YOUR OWN BATHROOM IN THOSE DAYS.

coalhole  
coalhole

#215 by coalhole , Fri May 24, 2013 7:36 pm

Quote: phil wrote in post #212
Hi Coalhole

Welcome to you, I read in your post on the other forum that you also lived in Great Francis St by the snooker hall in the 60's. Did you know the Evans family who lived the other side of the passage. Jimmy was a friend of mine at that time, I haven't seen him since they moved out for demolition.

yes I did know jimmy evans altthogh not very well iwas myself living there until demolition my friend was eamon Fitzpatrick from little francis st I went to st vincents school do you remember any of these names mick Shannon dennis mc quaker paul mills eddie Truman brendon Kelly Michael haeley tommy nevin hugh cosgrove tony kraviec david slater Gerald sharkey john oniell Michael Lawry Bernard bruton I remember many more including headmasters mr boggan and mr pearson and most of the teachers but I am sure that will do to be going on with I don't want to give you overload.

coalhole  
coalhole

#216 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri May 24, 2013 8:37 pm

Coalhole

I went to St Vincents from about 1954 until about 1957 when I moved back to my grandmothers when our expanding family got too large for out little one down and two up back to back in Francis St. I never had that many friends in Nechells as I always kept my friends from Balsall Heath. I recognise a couple of the names that you mention, but apart from Jimmy Evans in my younger years I had only other mate and he was out of Heneage St and his name was Gerald Trottmam, but I lost touch with him when he moved out as well.

phil

#217 by coalhole , Sun May 26, 2013 5:43 pm

Quote: phil wrote in post #215
Coalhole

I went to St Vincents from about 1954 until about 1957 when I moved back to my grandmothers when our expanding family got too large for out little one down and two up back to back in Francis St. I never had that many friends in Nechells as I always kept my friends from Balsall Heath. I recognise a couple of the names that you mention, but apart from Jimmy Evans in my younger years I had only other mate and he was out of Heneage St and his name was Gerald Trottmam, but I lost touch with him when he moved out as well.
THANKS FOR THAT PHIL YES YOU PROBALY WOULD NOT REMEMBER THOSE PEOPLE WHERE FROM 60,S ONWARD HOW EVER I REMEMBER FRANCIS ST WE USED TO REFER TO IT AS LITTLE FRANCIS ST SO AS NOT TO CONFUSE IT WITH GT FRANCIS ST WHERE I LIVED MY SCHOOLFRIEND EAMON FITZPATRICK LIVED IN LITTLE FRANCIS ST EVERY SATURDAY MORNING WE WOULD GO TO THE ASHTED CINEMA FOR THE MATINEE AND AFTER WE WOUD GO TO THE WASHING BATHS IN LITTLE FRANCIS ST NO LUXURIES LIKE A BATHROOM IN THOSE DAYS UNLESS IT WAS A TIN BATH IN FRONT OF THE FIRE THAT WAS SHARED WITH THE WHOLE FAMILY ON A FRIDAY NIGHT.

coalhole  
coalhole

#218 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon May 27, 2013 1:28 pm

Coalhole

I think I explained myself poorly my family did not leave Nechells until 1970 at least and I moved back innto Nechells in 1962 when I left school we finished out time in Nechells in Inkerman St. I moved out myself in 1968 or thereabouts for good but before that between 15 & 18 I didn't spend much tiime there at all. We''ll speak more when I return from holiday.

phil

#219 by coalhole , Tue May 28, 2013 4:42 pm

Quote: phil wrote in post #4
SB

As far as I am aware Vauxhall & Duddeston station is still in operation. They used to have the carriage cleaning sheds there but they closed a good while back. When we were teenagers we used to use the carriages for courting. The only trouble was that security checked them out all the time. So many a time we had to leg it. Vauxhall station was the first rail station in Birmingham being built shortly before Curzon St.

Phil

I remember the station very well as iused it quite a few times the nice thing about it as I remember was that you used to be able to shout abuse at people you did not like stading innocently on the platform by using the red door at the top of that dangerous woode staircase that ithink led to the sheds then just leg it funny how they never locked doors in those days....happy days for us anyway.

coalhole  
coalhole

#220 by coalhole , Thu May 30, 2013 7:27 pm

Quote: phil wrote in post #88
Lyn

Its Dr Tighe's house & surgery on the corner of Ashted Row and Vauxhall Rd. he ran his surgery from there before he moved up to Dr Topping's surgery on the corner of Willis St.

Phil

definitely doctor tighes surgery I remember it well & dr Saxby,s dental surgery was just a hundred yards up the road I had the misfortune to have a couple of teeth extracted there on one occasion and I never made another appointment I think anaesthesia was then still in its infancy.

coalhole  
coalhole

#221 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:48 am

coalhole

Do you remember all the doctors from Ashted Row moving down to Denby Close at the back of Great Lister Street in the purpose built health centre, as I understand it even that's gone now.

phil

#222 by coalhole , Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:17 pm

yes phil I well remember visiting dr tighes surgery at deby close there was a pharmacist by it called docter docter but I preferred the good old thatchers&bannisters in gt lister street.

coalhole  
coalhole

#223 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:43 pm

Yes, oddly enough the name was I Docter and he was an optician.

Attached pictures:
phil

#224 by coalhole , Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:21 pm

blimey phil you seem to have a photo for every occasion more photos than the national archives that must be one hot brownie you have thank you for that.

coalhole  
coalhole

#225 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:20 pm

coalhole

Believe me it would take a week to sit down an go through my collection.

Attached pictures:
phil

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Grosvenor Street / Grosvenor Row

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor