Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Alleys & Passageways of Birmingham

#211 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:41 pm

Pam

I hope you don't mind but I turned your photos around the correct way and made the size slightly more manageable. Sometime later I might move some of your posts to the Nechells thread.

phil

#212 by astoness , Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:51 pm

hi ya pam...what wonderful family pics you have there..there are so many folk who have none at all...thanks for sharing them with us and i note that the first one was taken in longacre..do you know what number the house was...of course its changed a bit now and my sister lives on the corner of longacre and holborn hill...there could be some old pic on the nechells thread for you to look at if not i do have a few here myself...

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#213 by astoness , Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:06 pm

Quote: Pam Keeling wrote in post #194
I loved the picture of Betholem Row with the kids outside. I was born there in march 1956. Ther were 3 house and mine was number 11. I think it may be me my brother and some of ths williams kids who in the end house by the yard. There were 11 of them as i remeber in a very small house. Cellar living/kitchen room 1bedroom 1st floor and the attic room . Our loo was the last one along and my moms wash house was on the opposite corner of the yard. Every Monday the midden man came and cleaned out the loos through a metal door in the wall in the the street. Good times.

hi pam was that pic you have seen taken in 1961 because if it is its prob the same one as i have here...

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#214 by Pam Keeling , Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:00 pm

Thank you Phil. Not very good with the pics lol .

Hi lyn. All i can remember is that my Nans house was at the top end of longacre close to the corner with Charles Arthur street. . I know she had a yard out the back and a bit of garden behind which is where one of my pics was taken.

Pam Keeling
Date registered 04.13.2013

#215 by astoness , Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:25 pm

hi pam...click on the link below it will take you to carl chinns site and 5 pages of pics of charles arthur st you can also use the search box to search for other roads and streets...should keep you happy for a while lol..

http://lives.bgfl.org/carlchinn/search.c...&k8=&startrow=1

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#216 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:42 pm

Pam

Take a look at the Nechells thread I've posted some photos.

phil

#217 by Pam Keeling , Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:59 pm

Quote: phil wrote in post #186
While we are in the area, another couple of cut throughs. Cleve Terrace that ran from Wheeleys Rd to Owen Street and Betholem Row that ran from Bath Row to Lee Bank.

Mike would there be any chance of me having a copy of the pic of Betholem Row. I would love to add it to my collection Pam

Pam Keeling

#218 by Pam Keeling , Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:01 pm

Sorry Phil called you Mike. Brain not engaging in the correct gear today Pam

Pam Keeling

#219 by Sheldonboy , Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:16 pm

Quote: Pam Keeling wrote in post #218
Sorry Phil called you Mike. Brain not engaging in the correct gear today Pam

Don't worry Pam you fit in well on here.

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#220 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:20 pm

Pam

As far as I am concerned you can copy any photo I have posted on here just remember to repeat any acknowledgements that I may give to the photographer or owner if you post them elsewhere. If I don't give any still don't assume that someone doesn't hold the copyright somewhere. it just means none was given when I sourced the photo in the first place.

phil

#221 by Pam Keeling , Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:20 am

Thank you Phil. It wont be posted anywhere but added to my own personal collection. Pam

Pam Keeling

#222 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue May 21, 2013 12:15 pm

Another photo of Cleve terrace taken from about halfway along it. In this photo it shows the Queens Hospital at the end of the terrace, later to be renamed the Accident hospital. You can also see the back entrance to what was once King Edwards Grammar School for girls at a time when this area was once known as Edgbaston before it became Lee Bank because it wasn't posh enough to be associated with the former.

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil
Last edited Tue May 21, 2013 12:16 pm | Top

#223 by colin walker , Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:41 pm

Hi pam just went on the jewish synergy for Birmingham and it does mention a jewish graveyard also says the jewish first came in the 1700

BIRMINGHAM, West Midlands: PDF Print E-mail

International Jewish Cemetery Project - England

For Community Information, see Birmingham on JCR-UK.

"The first synagogue of which there is any record was in The Froggery in 1780. But there was a Jewish cemetery in the same neighborhood in 1730." [Jewish Year Book, 2005.] "...since which time three subsequent cemeteries have been consecrated - one in Granville street, near the Canal, another between Bath and Islington rows, in a thoroughfare which has consequently come to be known as Betholom row, and the present cemetery at Witton, which was consecrated on February 14th, 1871." [Jewish Year Book, 1910.]

colin walker  
colin walker
Date registered 02.06.2010

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor