Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Alleys & Passageways of Birmingham

#1 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:46 am

I started this thread on another forum and Winkle started a similar thread on another forum. I see no reason why we should not both contribute to another one here. With new contributors we may come across some new views.

My first photo photo is one of my favourites it shows a location known locally as "the gates". This was at 6 Spiceal St which was next to the original Woolworth's building. Just look at the date on that Arch 1780. Of course Herbert Manzoni couldn't wait to see the back of it in his 60's revamp of the Bull Ring.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

RE: Alleys & Passageways of Birmingham

#2 by signman ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:23 pm

Great photo Phil, I'll be looking out for some lost alleyways and such when I come up (hopefully) on Monday, thinking of going to the camera show at the NEC.

signman

#3 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:17 pm

John

You must let me know if when you are coming up, and if it's possible in my part then we might be able to meet up for a short while for a coffee or even something a little stronger.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#4 by signman ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:05 pm

Phil, I'm coming up on Monday (7th) for 3 days only due to work load,would be nice to meet up with you on Tuesday, no alcohol I 'm driving ha ha.
Will ask Lyn if she would like to come.

signman

#5 by winkle , Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:22 pm

Good idea Phil. Here's my first entry (no pun intended). Speaking Stile Walk. Ran between Holloway Head and Irving Street. Now swept away and I think occupied by posh new Town apartments. The name was said to reflect the echo like phenomenon that you got when shouting down the Walk. The Unicorn pub on the corner junction at Holloway Head may explain the occasions of 'shouting'...

Attached pictures:
winkle  
winkle
Date registered 02.22.2011

Last edited 03.05.2011 | Top

#6 by toady , Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:49 pm

On the above street map it shows St Thomas churchyard I have tried to google it with no luck is it still there?

June

toady  
toady

Founder Member
Date registered 01.11.2010

#7 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:27 pm

June

St Thomas's was bombed out during world warII. The tower is still there and it has been joined by the colonnade from Broad St and is now renamed as the Peace Gardens. So of you type "Peace Gardens Birmingham" in to Google you might have more luck or try " Bath Row Birmingham " on Google Earth.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#8 by mikejee , Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:27 pm

There are no gravestones standing, as it has been landscaped, but it is still an open space. for view from above go to http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source...001773&t=h&z=19
Mike

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#9 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:38 pm

Another of my favourite alleys, Crooked Lane said to be one of the oldest streets in Birmingham. It originally ran from the Cherry Orchard, now St Phillips Churchyard to the Old Lamb House at the junction of High St, Dale End and Bull St. It has now disappeared completely under new development.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
phil

#10 by signman ( deleted ) , Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:32 am

Cracking photos Phil, I wonder if the two ladies were asked to pose or were just there at the time, they seem a little too formal to be just strolling.

signman

#11 by toady , Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:04 pm

Thanks for your help Phil & Mike, I suppose all records were lost when St Thomas was bombed.
June

toady  
toady

Founder Member
Date registered 01.11.2010

#12 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:46 pm

John

It looks that way doesn't it? Shame but I don't suppose either of them are still with us.

June

There is a chance that the records for St Thomas's are on file at Birmingham Central Library. you could take a look here
http://warwickshire-info.pwp.blueyonder....s_marriages.htm

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#13 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:15 pm

Not really a street, road. passageway or alleyway, but I reckon more feet have tramped their way through here than most other streets of Birmingham. I know I staggered (staggered being the operative word) through here many a night on the way from the Crown heading toward the Ringway (Pink Elephant) Club. Sometimes pausing for a coffee & a pie at Alex's to help sober up for the next session. It is of course the subway under Smallbrook Ringway.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
phil

#14 by Sheldonboy , Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:11 pm

Posted by phil
Not really a street, road. passageway or alleyway, but I reckon more feet have tramped their way through here than most other streets of Birmingham. I know I staggered (staggered being the operative word) through here many a night on the way from the Crown heading toward the Ringway (Pink Elephant) Club. Sometimes pausing for a coffee & a pie at Alex's to help sober up for the next session. It is of course the subway under Smallbrook Ringway.

Phil

Those pictures must have been taken in it's very earl days Phil. If they were taken when that underpass was much older even the pictures would smell like a toilet.

I started out with nothing and Iv'e still got most of it left

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#15 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:21 pm

SB

I'm sure when the subway first opened there were toilets in the subway. There certainly were outside the Crown (if you had the courage to use them) The Council in their unique wisdom closed all the public toilets down over the years. What did they expect when the clubs emptied out in the early hours of the morning after the crowds inside had been pouring drinks down their throats all night.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Nechells

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor