#31 by Sheldonboy , Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:40 am

I just came across this about Trams I thought it of interest

There once was a man who said "Damn!
It is borne in upon me I am
An engine that moves
In predestinate grooves;
I'm not even a bus, I'm a tram."
—Maurice E. Hare (1886-1967)

There is a somewhat better variation of the above, also attributed to Maurice E. Hare, and given the date 1905:

There was a young man who said "Damn!
I perceive with regret that I am
But a creature that moves
In predestinate grooves
I'm not even a bus, I'm a tram."

And someone wrote a nice reply:

"Young man you should stay your complaint,
For the grooves that you call a constraint
Are there to contrive
That you learn to survive
Trams arrive, buses may or they mayn't."
—Unknown

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

RE: Trams

#32 by mikejee , Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:40 am

Could add this SB

I agree with you, truly I do
But you have to remember this to
If the weather is bad
For a tram it is sad
As the wheels they do slip in the goo

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

Last edited 08.25.2013 | Top

#33 by Sheldonboy , Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:38 pm

Very good Mike

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#34 by Roy Thomas , Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:36 pm

I remember boarding the trams by the Birmingham art museum and riding to the Lickey Hills the last part of the trip was fantastic has the track ran down the middle of the dual carriageway which was flanked by trees, passing the Austin works and running up to the terminal where the trams went round in a large circle for the return journey. There are now houses on this site, and the only building that has survived in the toilet block which is now a restraint, I passed it every day on my way to work and I'm damned if I can remember if it is Chinese or Indian. I retired six years ago so I haven't passed there since then.
As a lad I found this trip just as exciting as the amusement arcades, fish and chips, candy floss and ice cream that Lickey offered.

Roy Thomas  
Roy Thomas
Date registered 02.14.2014

#35 by Sheldonboy , Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:40 pm

Quote: Roy Thomas wrote in post #34
I remember boarding the trams by the Birmingham art museum and riding to the Lickey Hills the last part of the trip was fantastic has the track ran down the middle of the dual carriageway which was flanked by trees, passing the Austin works and running up to the terminal where the trams went round in a large circle for the return journey. There are now houses on this site, and the only building that has survived in the toilet block which is now a restraint, I passed it every day on my way to work and I'm damned if I can remember if it is Chinese or Indian. I retired six years ago so I haven't passed there since then.
As a lad I found this trip just as exciting as the amusement arcades, fish and chips, candy floss and ice cream that Lickey offered.

great story Roy, I never managed to ride on a Birmingham Tram due to my tender young age, I bet the Lickeys was a great trip.
Nice to see you posting on BT Roy and welcome

The email of the species is more deadly than the mail.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#36 by Slow Jo , Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:47 pm

Brings back lots of memories ,in the summer holidays we nearly always had a day out at the lickey hills,we took sarnes and pop ,we really enjoyed it as kid's.Its all we could afford as there 5 of us and mom and dad, only dad working.

Slow Jo  
Slow Jo
Date registered 07.31.2013

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
The End of Corporation Street Buses

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor