Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Pubs & Breweries

#1 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:56 am

This is the place to tell us about your old local or about anything related to public houses.

phil

RE: Pubs & Breweries

#2 by Sheldonboy , Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:33 am

Unfortunately our old local and once super and very profitable pub is very soon to be demolished to make way for housing. The Chestnut Tree, Sheldon Heath Road, Sheldon.

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

Last edited 03.15.2013 | Top

#3 by Voltman , Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:49 am

The only pub I could have called local was a mile away and I had to walk past two others to get there.
I went in a Boy, in 1975 and came out as something else seven years later. I experienced at least twenty years of a normal persons life while I was in there and have never been a regular pub goer since.
This was also the Chestnut Tree. Nuts.

http://www.gutenberg.org/
Latest Posts

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#4 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:39 am

Volty

The Chestnuts was a place for pussycats, you needed to get your education for drinking in some real pubs. About the nearest to a real pub in that location would have been the Meadway, but even that paled into insignificance to some of the houses that I used to frequent. I liked them the rougher the better.

phil

#5 by mikejee , Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:13 am

Don't know if you ever visited Leeds Phil, but you would have loved the Star & garter in the city centre. Now long gone unfortunately it had a life of its own with so many stories about it - The landlord who split with his wife after she found him enjoying himself with (male) customer over a beer barel in the cellar; the new landlord who decided to open up a room that had been closed for years and found the mummified remains of an alsation , the almost
caricature-like plain-cloths police tryimg not to look obvious...

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#6 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:53 am

I think I only ever got to Leeds once on a weekday, five of us ended up there after a night out. Don't ask me how we got there but I woke up in the back of the car in Leeds town centre. It was 1966 I think. We went into a pub in the city centre that was empty in a room at the back of the pub. One of the lads that could play the piano started to knock out a few tunes and the room started filling up, we had a great morning because the gaffer kept supplying us with free drinks so we wouldn't leave and our mate would carry on playing at kicking out time the room was full.

phil

#7 by Sheldonboy , Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:23 pm

Quote: phil wrote in post #4
Volty

The Chestnuts was a place for pussycats, you needed to get your education for drinking in some real pubs. About the nearest to a real pub in that location would have been the Meadway, but even that paled into insignificance to some of the houses that I used to frequent. I liked them the rougher the better.

Phil I doubt if you ever went into the Chestnuts, not everyone is at home in a dive. This in my opinion is unwarranted.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#8 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:48 pm

SB

I wasn't casting any aspersions against the pub itself only the type of pub. No I never used the Chestnuts, because as I said I only liked dives. The rougher the better, in my opinion you could be sure of a more entertaining night. In the pubs that I used if they threw a Jaguar key ring on the table then they had a Jaguar not a Cortina. If someone was skint then if he was known to the crowd then his drinks were bought for him because it was known that he would do the same when he was back up.

I'm proud to say that I was never scared to walk in any pub no matter how bad it's reputation, because with 99% of them that is all it was reputation.

phil

#9 by Sheldonboy , Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:04 pm

Quote: phil wrote in post #4
Volty

The beauty of pubs like The Cabin Sheldon Heath Road, The Meadway on the Meadway and The Lea Tavern lea village etc etc was they kept the trouble and rubbish out of pubs like ours. Trust me we had some first class blokes in our pub.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#10 by Sheldonboy , Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:07 pm

Quote: Sheldonboy wrote in post #2
Unfortunately our old local and once super and very profitable pub is very soon to be demolished to make way for housing. The Chestnut Tree, Sheldon Heath Road, Sheldon.

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#11 by tca , Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:31 pm

although born in bham, i went to school in oxford, there was a brewery near a home i spent time in when i was young, if my memory is correct it was the ansells brewery but could have been M&B, i remember two things, HP sauce and Hops, the street was clifton road aston

i used to bring oxford girls up to brum somtimes, the pub (well bar) i used most was, again soggy memory was the ship, around new st area, the bar was shaped like a boat, the other pub i remember was in corperation street, as you walked downtowards home in gem st it was on the left, it was still there about 5 yeas ago

still my teenage years were based around oxfordshire

nice memorys well the ones that float in and out

tca
Date registered 11.27.2012

#12 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:50 pm

tca

The Brewery would be Ansells on Aston Cross across the road from HP Sauce, they are both gone now. The pub I would think was the Outrigger on Moor St. Here are photos of all three and one of Clifton Rd Aston for good measure.

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

#13 by tca , Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:55 am

thanks awesome the clifton road goes in the family tree

tca
Date registered 11.27.2012

#14 by Sheldonboy , Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:26 pm

The pub was definitely the Outrigger, an Ansells house I believe

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

Last edited 03.22.2013 | Top

#15 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:15 pm

Both I and Mikejee have good memories of the Outrigger, similar memories but of different people

phil
Last edited Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:15 pm | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Birminghams Pubs

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor