Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Pubs & Breweries

#16 by Sheldonboy , Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:44 pm

Quote: phil wrote in post #15
Both I and Mikejee have good memories of the Outrigger, similar memories but of different people

I think I only used The Outrigger once, it was a wedding. Spoiled the visit really.

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#17 by Sheldonboy , Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:20 pm

Some local pub news.
The Wellington in Bennetts Hill is having a load of work done., a new bar is being opened upstairs, + a function room + a roof garden and new toilets.
The Brewdog in John Bright Street is doing ok.
The Froth Blowers Brewery is taking shape. Funny name though.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

Last edited 04.09.2013 | Top

#18 by Sheldonboy , Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:24 am

The Hare and Houndson Marsh hill have recently been taken over by Green King. Its toi be turned into a Hungry Horse eating house. Not ideal I know but at least the pub is saved. I was in aHungry Horse in derby at Easter the food was pretty good actually.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#19 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:48 am

I hear the Red Lion in Acocks Green is reopening. I was only ever in the new one once, what a dump not a patch on the old one.

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil
Last edited Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:51 am | Top

#20 by Sheldonboy , Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:07 pm

I am surprised Phil, that's been empty for years, it was a dump.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#21 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:40 pm

I'm sure I saw it somewhere that it was going to be part of the Hairy Lemon chain, not that I have ever been in one of those.

phil

#22 by astoness , Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:51 pm

Quote: phil wrote in post #21
I'm sure I saw it somewhere that it was going to be part of the Hairy Lemon chain, not that I have ever been in one of those.

phil ive never understood the chain name the hairy lemon and wonder where it came from but cant resist a giggle...the old cabin in the city centre is one now...very bland and basic not my type of put at all so wont be going in there again..

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 04.11.2013 | Top

#23 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:58 pm

Lyn

I haven't got a clue where the name came from, but I don't think it will do well in Acocks Green. Is the Cabin still there I would have though it long gone by now?

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

#24 by astoness , Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:10 pm

yes phil its still there like i said now a hairy lemon[Little LOL]..i was in there about 18 months back and that was only to meet my sister...not a patch on how it was in our day...

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#25 by mikejee , Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:58 pm

Bit Hairy there was it Lyn?

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#26 by Sheldonboy , Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:32 pm

Quote: phil wrote in post #23
Lyn

I haven't got a clue where the name came from, but I don't think it will do well in Acocks Green. Is the Cabin still there I would have though it long gone by now?

My wife and I went into the old Cabin in Brum last year, we were out in seconds, Phil I think it would be too much of a dive even for you.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#27 by astoness , Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:38 pm

Quote: mikejee wrote in post #25
Bit Hairy there was it Lyn?

more like scary mike..[Little LOL]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

Last edited 04.11.2013 | Top

#28 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:32 pm

Quote: Sheldonboy wrote in post #26

My wife and I went into the old Cabin in Brum last year, we were out in seconds, Phil I think it would be too much of a dive even for you.

I can remember some little time before The Cabin was built somewhere around the same spot there was a temporary structure built by The Milk Marketing Board where you could get a pint of milk to drink free. I was sure that it was taken over as a temporary pub when the old Cabin was demolished and a few years later is was made more substantial as shown in the photo I posted previously

phil

#29 by coalhole , Sat May 25, 2013 11:57 am

Quote: Sheldonboy wrote in post #9
Quote: phil wrote in post #4
Volty

The Chestnuts was a place for pussycats, you needed to get your education for drinking in some real pubs. About the nearest to a real pub in that location would have been the Meadway, but even that paled into insignificance to some of the houses that I used to frequent. I liked them the rougher the better.

The beauty of pubs like The Cabin Sheldon Heath Road, The Meadway on the Meadway and The Lea Tavern lea village etc etc was they kept the trouble and rubbish out of pubs like ours. Trust me we had some first class blokes in our pub.

I used to use the old meadway a chap called Geoffrey hollyoake from st vincents used to use it with his father I used it on a regular bassis and never had any trouble there it was also frequented by a gang of pimply adolescent youths laughingly called the poolway mob who led an aimless existence hanging around the poolway shopping cenre making a general nuisance of themselves harassing innocent shoppers..IN A GANG OF COURSE. but I never had any trouble from them I endorse the comment you made about rough pubs and I have been in a few generally it works that you leave them alone and they will leave you alone on the other hand if you go in shouting the odds you are looking for trouble and will usually get it in triplicate.

coalhole  
coalhole
Date registered 05.17.2013

#30 by Sheldonboy , Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:00 am

Question
The Rainbow pub, corner of Adderley Street Deritend. Is this its original name please.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor