Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Forward Birmingham

#1 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:17 pm

What do you think of the new Birmingham. Lets hear your view, do you love it or loathe it.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

RE: Forward Birmingham

#2 by Deleted User , Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:31 pm

Love it

#3 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:45 pm

Hi Denise

As you know I have not yet been to town to take a look, but I have made myself a promise that as soon as the weather gets a little better I am going to take myself to town for the day and seek out some of my old haunts and have a general good look around.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#4 by Sheldonboy , Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:58 am

Hi denise
Nice to see you with us. SB

If all else fails Read the instructions

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#5 by Sheldonboy , Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:38 am

The new Birmingham is a very busy place considering the size of it, it gets very crowded. Especially The Bull Ring/ High street / New street and Corporation Street Areas. These of course are the main shopping areas. Most other places are not too bad. SB

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#6 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:58 am

SB

Mind you these places have always been busy, haven't they? I used to love the old Bull Ring pre 60's when it was coming up to Christmas. It was a wonderful place, with all its little backstreet's and shops all of them tying to outdo and undercut each other.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#7 by Sheldonboy , Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:10 pm

I didn't know the original Bull Ring. Just the one recently demolished. I had five sisters so I didn't have to be dragged around the town. I was left at home. Thank god. SB

Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you. Carl Gustav Jung

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#8 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:25 pm

SB

I don't think I was ever dragged to town, and I have memories of the old (pre 60's) one as a teenager. I always made my way to town on my own or with a couple of mates. I have to admit that I have more memories of the 60's version and that is the one I'm talking about most of the time when I mention the Bull Ring.

I think it was very much maligned, and many terrible things have been said about it. But it was much copied throughout the country. Just look locally at Redditch and Coventry and you will see what I mean.

To a teenager it had everything you could want, fashionable shops, record shops, coffee bars and even the odd pub you could get into (underage) if you behaved yourself.

Yes it is very much missed by me. I suppose it's my youth I miss really.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

#9 by Sheldonboy , Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:40 pm

The old Bull Ring was ok in my opinion except for two things. The horrible subways, that were used so much for toilets, and muggings, for one. The other it was never maintained properly. It was just left to rot. Yes it was quite good in the sixties Brummies were proud of it. But it did deteriorate very badly. Coventry had no choice they had to start from scratch. But from what I have seen from pictures some of the old Bull Ring character could have been integrated into it.
As you know I am very much in favour of our New Bull Ring. Not so much for the newness, but I was so glad to see the back of the old one. The old Rag Alley and the Bus Station areas were absolutely disgusting by the time they were pulled down.
I never thought of Brum as a tourist attraction before but there are so many coaches coming to Brum every week. I think it's time agan to be proud to be a Brummie. SB

Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you. Carl Gustav Jung

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#10 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:41 pm

SB

I agree with what you partially, when Laing Securities owned the Bull Ring Markets and the one above New Street Station we worked for them on occasion. They spent millions on renovations and maintenance. I think the outside areas were controlled by the Markets department which was the Council.

As you know they couldn't run a P up in a brewery. When you talk about the outside areas being used as a public toilet. It's no wonder, even back then it was hard to find a public toilet that was open after the shops and the Bull Ring Centre closed.

I suppose one could always use The Golden Slipper in Station St outside the Crown. As long as you kept your back to the wall that is.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#11 by Sheldonboy , Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:32 pm

Well this Thread got off to a good start but came to a sticky end ?

But lets take things on a bit. What do you see in the future of Birmingham ?
What can improve Birmingham ?
Do you like the design of the new Library which is soon to grace Broad Street.?
Do you think the Tram system should be extended to different parts of Brum ? If so what parts of Brum would you like to see Trams extended to.
Birmingham is a tourist attraction, hard to believe I know. But coaches come into Brum every day attracted by the Bull Ring and our other shopping streets.
What would you do to attract more people to Brum.?
Do our Council do enough ?
What do you think ?

Do not take life too seriously - you are not going to get out of it alive anyway.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#12 by signman ( deleted ) , Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:45 am

Getting back on track to the Bull Ring,
I used to love the old Bull Ring, I'm talking 1948 onwards the old lady shouting "handy carrier" the various escapologists, going round picking up the fruit which had rolled under the stalls, and Christmas was magical to a child.
I also like the new Bull Ring.
I like the new library design, and Brindley Place, and the New street station design, haven't seen the new coach station yet, but anything will be better than the old one.
I will be in Brum on Friday (12th) for 3 days, anyone want photos of anything.

signman

#13 by Sheldonboy , Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:30 am

I look forward to your Brum pictures John I hope the weather is good to you, I know sunshine isn't essential but it does help. SB

Do not take life too seriously - you are not going to get out of it alive anyway.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#14 by signman ( deleted ) , Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:49 am

Took a few photos which I've put in the Brum gallery.

signman

#15 by Deleted User , Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:48 pm

Just been having a look at some of your pics,they are great.Thanks for posting them.

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Bonfire Night

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor