Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Balsall Heath, Sparkbrook.

#61 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:54 pm

Yes June I remember Standard sweets in Woodfield Rd, It wasn't a very big place but half the girls that lived in Balsall Heath & Sparkbrook must have worked there at one or another.

There was also Bakers yard next door. We did work for them. He was a nice little old man and you would never believe how rich he was. At one time I think he owned most of the back & terraced houses in Balsall Heath, Sparkbrook, Alum Rock & Saltley.

I think that was why he set up in the property repair business. So he wouldn't have to pay some one else to work on his property.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#62 by toady , Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:11 pm

Hi Phil

Have just been for a look around Larches Street and surrounding area, oh my, haven't been down there for years can't believe how small the street seems when you think how many houses and people lived there.
When in Long Street remembered some more names Billy Needle, Brendan Dodd, Phillip and David Lee, do you remember the "Currigan Gang" they came from Small Heath.

June

toady  
toady

Founder Member
Date registered 01.11.2010

#63 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:02 pm

Hi June

I remember the Dodds, no memory of the Currigan gang or David Lee. Billy Needle was still hanging around the "old end" until the late 70's at least. Always ducking and diving anything to make a fast quid. I think the last time David and me came accross him was down Bells Lane he had a flower stall there.

Phill

Make Love, Not War

phil

#64 by toady , Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:31 pm

Hi Phil

Which Bells Lane do you mean can only think of Druids Heath there isn't a flower stall there.

June

toady  
toady

Founder Member

#65 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:44 pm

Hi June

Thats the one, as I said Billy was in to ducking and diving. I think it was Mothers Day and it was a fly pitch.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#66 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:45 pm

An early photo of the Railway Bridge at Highgate Rd. Nothing much on this photo changed until the mid 70's. You can see the Talbot public house on the corner of Larches St under the bridge. You can see the shop just the other side of the bridge where my Nan bought the cotton & needles and other spares for her foot operated sewing machine which she sat at for hours.

You can even see the gateway to a house on the left just before the bridge that was on the level of the track and therefore must have had something to do with the railway. I used to date a blond girl who lived there in the 60's. I think she was Welsh and her name might have been Olwyn. June did you know her?

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

#67 by toady , Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:39 pm

Hi Phil love the photo, the drapers shop was called Willis's where you could buy anything, no I don't no the name Olwyn there was a Shirley and a Barbara that lived in Woodfield Road just below the chippy did you know Alan Messer (yes that was his name) he lived above the chippy his dad drank in the Talbot, he used to stand outside they had a boxer dog probably needed one with a name like that his dad drove a light blue Ford Consul.
June

toady  
toady

Founder Member

#68 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:09 pm

June

Yes I did know Alan Messer slightly I think, was he about my age or slightly younger I'm 63. If he is the same did he move into Woodfield Crescent because I think his dad was the one Benny and I bought an old Jag off when we were 14.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#69 by toady , Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:38 pm

Hi Phil

I think we are talking about the same one, his dad always wore a cap, Alan was a bit older than me that makes him about your age, I think his drove a Jag after the light blue Ford Consul, he was a bit of a show off because he was one of a few that had a big car.

June

toady  
toady

Founder Member

#70 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:28 pm

June

Now I come to think of it I don't think it was the bloke we bought the Jag off. I think his name was Ronnie Winspur. It was an old 1950's relic with the big headlamps and running boards. It would be worth a fortune now.

I do know the name Alan Messer though, we used to take the P out of his name. Nasty little buggers weren't we? I just can't put a face to the name. I'll have to ask David next time I see him.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#71 by toady , Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:39 pm

Phil
I am sure you would know him always had a tan boxer dog with him named Rocky, why do I remember that?
June

toady  
toady

Founder Member

#72 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:27 pm

June,

I know that I know him, I just can't picture him.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#73 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:34 pm

June

Do you remember this place in Highgate Rd, Between the Junction pub and Moydens Garage. I think when we were kids Benny and me even bought some cars from here. That's how daft we were then.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

#74 by toady , Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:53 pm

Hi Phil
When I first looked at the above photo I thought I didn't recognise it but if you came out of Larches Passage turn right on Highgate Road cross over I think it was Turner Street then you came to a paper shop then just past was the above am I in the right place? Alan said his dad always wanted a Rover like the one in the photo
June

toady  
toady

Founder Member

#75 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:19 pm

June

When you came out of Larches Passage at the bottom by the chip shop, you turned left crossed over Marshall St past the Junction pub past a newsagents. The car sale pitch was between there and Moydens petrol station.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Lee Hall Farm, Yardley.

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor