Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

The Clubs And Bands Of Birmingham. Share Your Memories With Us Here

#1 by Sheldonboy , Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:31 pm

Mothers High Street Erdington.
Voted by America's Billboard Magazine The Best Rock Venue in the World
Posted by SB Sat 18th February 2012
Mothers was situated above what is now Walmsley's furniture store, High Street Erdington, opposite St. Barnabas Church

Evening all, I had a very nostalgic visit this morning, I went with my wife Jo to High Street Erdington, to the re-opening of Walmsley's furniture shop. Why because upstairs was where MOTHERS CLUB used to be. Mothers was previously known as the Carlton Club for some of our mature readers.
The object of the occassion was to get a blue plaque to be put on the wall.
It changed to MOTHERS in 1968. Mothers was like no other club. There was very little furniture, two very cheap bars (Scrumpy Cider 1/6d pint). The walls and ceiling were painted very dark and it used to be packed to capacity.
What made Mothers so special was the atmosphere, it was incredible friendly/genuine people who just wanted to see the best Rock/Blues/ Folk bands in the world at the cheapest price possible. My night out at Mothers cost 10/- entrance fee and with my bus fare to get there and a couple of Ciders I could just do it for under a pound. That was with walking home from Erdington to Sheldon of course. Sometimes we had a lift home from local bands after we helped the roadies with the equipment.
It was also known as the hottest place in the world, it was very hot in there especially in the summer, it was quite common to see girls pass out with the heat and they had to be passed overhead to the fire escape to be cooled down and brought round.
The bands we saw were what went on to be the biggest in the world, some still going forty years on. The first three bands I saw there was Deep Purple, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin.
Others many will not have heard of.
The Who performed their masterpiece Tommy for us. We saw it Live in it's entirety Two weeks before it's London debut.
Pink Floyd recorded part of their Ummagumma double album live there, some of it was recorded at a Manchester College.
Billboard magazine in America possibly the worlds biggest Music publication voted Mothers "The Worlds Best Rock Venue" now considering there were thousands of them, that was some accolade. Mothers slogan was "The Home of Good Sounds". It was also full of really nice people. You could walk into Mothers any time it was open and just start chatting to anyone. If you did that nowadays you would probably end up battered.
I have to say I saw and heard many ghosts today and recalled just some of the best memories. In it's heyday Mothers boasted 36000 members so you can imagine it was very full.
The re-opening was performed by Steve Gibbons who at 71 years of age is still playing great gigs with his band. Dave Pritchard was also there with other members of The Idle Race a Brummie Band from the sixties.
*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
I think it would be a good idea to have a Birmingham Music thread, considering Brums Club history, countless bands and artists there was no way it could be exhausted.
*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
It was a pleasure to see Frothy and his wife who came to have a look, unfortunately I didn't get much time for a chat hopefully I will next time.

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

Last edited 09.24.2013 | Top

RE: THE CLUBS AND BANDS OF BIRMINGHAM. SHARE YOUR MEMORIES WITH US HERE

#2 by Sheldonboy , Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:46 pm

Before Mothers was Mothers, it was the Carlton club
One of the bands to play there was The Idle Race Some past members were, Dave Prichard, Greg Masters, Billy king, Roger Spencer, Mike Sheridan, Roy Wood, Johnny Mann, Jeff Lyne, Mike Hopkins and Dave Walker and Steve Gibbons
This is a picture of three Brum superstars.
Dave Pritchard (lef)t and Steve Gibbons (right) Both of The Idle Race Oh and me in the middle

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

Last edited 02.19.2012 | Top

#3 by Sheldonboy , Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:26 pm

One great night at Mothers was when The Who performed their Rock opera (TOMMY) this was live all the way through. This was also two weeks before it's official London and World premier.
It was an incredible hot night as summer evenings tended to be at Mothers. They played Magic Bus which lasted for 32 minutes. Kieth Moon collapsed at the end of this piece and fell backwards off his drumstool. The roadies and a couple of us carried him off stage and took him through the double doors to the backstage room. He had something clear and wet poured over his face from a spirit bottle, I think probably it was Vodka'
Then he sat up and said he was going back on. One of the band, I can't remember who asked us to sit on his legs so he couldn't get up. After a while we let him up after he had, had a rest. He went on to finish a fantastic set. We were some of the first people in the world to hear this work Live or Recorded.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#4 by astoness , Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:03 pm

hi SB some cracking posts by you about mothers...im afraid that i cant add much to it as i was never a big night clubber..well not on a regular basis but the ones i can recall going to are barbarellas..the rum runner..snoopys..the hole in wall rings a bell..top rank ?? oh and what was the name of the one by edgebaston resevoir...sure my memory is getting worse..lol

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#5 by Sheldonboy , Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:15 pm

Lyn Barbarella's was one of Fewtrells nightclubs I believe, The Rum Runner Broad Street was a long standing on. I never went into either of these but Phil was a Fixture in The Rum Runner, in his Gangland days. Snoopy's I didn't know. I did know the Top Rank Suite when it first opened that would be in the middle sixties.
The Hole in the wall was a pub in Dale End also known as Sara Moons, closed by the Police I think on the odd occasion now recently re-opened as The Confession Box.
The one on Edgebaston Reservoir Was The Tower Ballroom formerly the Gay Tower Ballroom.
Can anyone add to any memories of these and other places and the characters who frequented them.
If any of this post requires correction please feel free to put us right. SB

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#6 by astoness , Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:27 pm

ahh thats it the tower ballroom...they used to have grab a granny there on wednesday nights...not that i ever went on that night..[Little LOL]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#7 by lynne webb , Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:32 pm

Do they still have Grab a Granny night Lyn, we could give it a try.

lynne webb
Date registered 10.05.2011

#8 by Sheldonboy , Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:40 pm

My earliest memory of any kind of club life was when I was around 9-10 years of age. Across the road from where I lived is Blakenhale Junior School. The entrance in Homestead Road was where the Blake Dance was held on Friday nights. It was run by the then caretaker Mr Green and an extremely nice Irishman named Peter Lyneham. As far as I know alcohol wasn't allowed but it was always well attended. This was in the era of The Teddy boys. One Band that played there was Lee Stevens and the Satellites.
One evening there had been some disagreement between the Blake Teds and another bunch. This would have been around 1960 is. This other bunch of Teds turned up in a couple of lorries we were told and there was a hell of a fight, at least one lad was stabbed and taken away in an Ambulance. All of the School windows on the Homestead Road side (and there were many) were smashed.
As you can imagine this was the end of the Blake Dance.
Has anyone any information to correct or expand on this story.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#9 by Sheldonboy , Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:03 pm

Another place for a couple of clubs was Gas Street off Broad Street Birmingham. Now most people knew of The Opposite Lock Club which was basically an up market Jazz Club owned by an ex motor racing driver named Martin Hone. Next door to that for a while was The Factory. This was literally a factory that Martin Hone had cleaned out, put a bar in, toilets etc and we have THE FACTORY The First Band I saw there was GUN They had a hit single Race with the devil. A week or so later we saw FLEETWOOD MAC who had a single out at the time Need your love so bad.
I didn't know much of the Factory after that, I started working in a pub and this curtailed my evenings out.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#10 by Sheldonboy , Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:28 pm

There are/ were of course many more clubs in Birmingham
The Elbow Room
Edwards
Snobs
La Dolce Vita
Bloomers
Club Cedar
And many many more. tell us what you know please, there must be thousands of stories out there.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#11 by Sheldonboy , Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:38 pm

There are also many memories of the old Bands. Did you see:
Denny Laine and the Diplomats
Lee Stevens and The satelites
Carl Wayne and the Vikings
The Move
Spitfire
There have been hundreds of Birmingham Bands did you know them,where did you see them? Please tell us.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#12 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:08 pm

SB

I saw most of those on the club & pub scene in the early 60's, don't think I ever came across the Spitfires. A couple you didn't mention would be Spencer Davis, Uglys, Modernaires. You could see any of them in the one pub or club the one week and on another the following night. If you were a fan you could follow them around. occasionally you would see a local band on the Town Hall but they had usually got to chart before you saw them there.

phil

#13 by lynne webb , Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:13 pm

SB, I saw lots of these groups at the Crown,Station St. I think most of them played there. I worked for a short time with Keith Powell, he was in a group and I know that once they played the Town Hall. I cant remember the name of his group though.

lynne webb
Date registered 10.05.2011

#14 by Sheldonboy , Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:23 pm

Posted by phil
SB

I saw most of those on the club & pub scene in the early 60's, don't think I ever came across the Spitfires. A couple you didn't mention would be Spencer Davis, Uglys, Modernaires. You could see any of them in the one pub or club the one week and on another the following night. If you were a fan you could follow them around. occasionally you would see a local band on the Town Hall but they had usually got to chart before you saw them there.

Phil there are many not metioned yet, the Ugly's was a band Steve Gibbons was in.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#15 by Sheldonboy , Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:53 am

Posted by lynne webb
SB, I saw lots of these groups at the Crown,Station St. I think most of them played there. I worked for a short time with Keith Powell, he was in a group and I know that once they played the Town Hall. I cant remember the name of his group though.

Lynne Kieth Powells group was The Valets, I know they played Digbeth Civic Hall in 1964

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor