Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Do It Yourself Bicycle

#1 by mikejee , Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:58 am

Not Birmingham but Russia, but it is supposed to be the city of a thousand trades. Bet they never produced something like this. The caption states :
This photograph, taken in Russia by a Blackburn contributor, is of an extraordinary bicycle and its ingenious maker, a Russian peasant, who at the time was employed as a mill watchman in St. Petersburg. The frame of the bicycle is mainly made out of broomsticks, the wheels consist of barrel hoops and wooden spokes, the cranks are of wood, and bobbins form the principal part of the pedals; the front forks are likewise of wood, working inside a ten-inch "slubbing bobbin"; the saddle (movable) is cut out of an ordinary piece of wood, the back of a disused arm-chair does duty as handle-bars, and the chain was taken off an old "flat-card" machine. It only remains to add that this curiosity is not a mere exhibit, for a friend of the gentleman who supplies the photo. rode it more than once, though he never accomplished anything in the way of record-breaking on the wooden "bike.

Not a very comfortable ride I would think

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

Last edited 03.28.2016 | Top

RE: Do it yourself bicycle

#2 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:42 pm

Not my idea of riding in comfort, but it just shows how ingenious man is.

Phil

phil

RE: Do it yourself bicycle

#3 by Sheldonboy , Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:19 pm

Brings a whole new meaning to the Nutcracker suite.

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Some People Have The Right Idea

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor