Thank you Mike

toady  
toady

Founder Member
Date registered 01.11.2010

RE: Topography

#17 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed May 12, 2010 1:52 pm

Mike

Do you remember some time back that we tried to place this gasometer. The best that I was able to offer was Aston Church Rd as a possibility.

Well I had a thought today, did you ever get around the Bordesley Area of Birmingham with your camera. Specifically Upper Trinity St, Bowyer St or Adderley St. Because there was a small gas works there alongside the canal that might fit the bill.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

#18 by toady , Wed May 12, 2010 5:08 pm

Phil

I had an uncle that worked at the gas works in Nechells is that any help?

toady  
toady

Founder Member
Date registered 01.11.2010

#19 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed May 12, 2010 5:25 pm

June

kind of you to offer your help, but would your Uncle be able to confirm that the photo is of Nechells Gas works.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#20 by mikejee , Wed May 12, 2010 5:38 pm

It might well be Phil. I can't find the gas works on the 1912 map, but maybee it was built after that. there is certainly an area (blank on the map) where it could be. Do I understand from what you said to june that this was called Nechells Gas Works?

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#21 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed May 12, 2010 6:07 pm

Mike

I think Nechells gas works were the ones down Aston Church Rd. But thinking back they were quite substantial. The one in the photo looks quite small.

It all depends on if you did any camera work in Bordesey. I would have thought it would have been the sort of place you would have liked.

This 1950's street plan shows the position of the gas works.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

#22 by mikejee , Wed May 12, 2010 6:51 pm

I took a number around bradford st, which isn't that far away. but these pictures were taken between some of a wedding outside Brum and some of the jewellery quarter.
Mike

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member

#23 by mikejee , Wed May 12, 2010 6:53 pm

Looking at your map, that is where I thought the gas works might be from the 1912 map. then bowyer St apaprently ran through to Adderley St
Mike

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member

#24 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed May 12, 2010 7:27 pm

Well Mike it's still got me stumped then because I can't think of a gasometer around Bradford st or the Jewellery Quarter. Still you know me I'll keep trying.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#25 by mikejee , Wed May 12, 2010 10:58 pm

I didn't mean that i thought it was near bradford st, just that i have no idea where and the other brum pictures on the film give no indication. The pictures were almost certainly taken on a different day

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member

#26 by Deleted User , Wed May 12, 2010 11:28 pm

Seeing that shop,Richards in the pic of pre Rackhams reminded me of this,used to love the tune

Richard Shops are filled with all the pretty things
Soft and lovely pretty things to wear
Come now, pretty things, make the world a prettier place
Come prettier, come buy your clothes at Richard Shops

#27 by signman ( deleted ) , Thu May 13, 2010 6:07 am

Phil, Mike you've got me at it now.
The two photographs were taken only a few yards apart, the house on the left in the 2nd photo is the house in the first one.
Looks like they were taken from a canal towpath or similar with the low wall in the foreground, also in the process of being dismantled.
I've got the same map as Mike and nothing shown on it , Saltley gasworks at the time of the map were known as City gas works.
I am now on a mission, did you go all over Brum Mike or stick to one area.

signman
Last edited Thu May 13, 2010 6:08 am | Top

#28 by signman ( deleted ) , Thu May 13, 2010 6:59 am

Been looking at the maps again, bearing in mind that most gasometers were grouped, it could have been the last of a bunch, there is one that could fit the bill, it's on the canal behind the rolling mills in Adderley Road.

signman

#29 by Voltman , Thu May 13, 2010 9:33 am

I must speak, having noticed that the lattice work doesn't match many or even any of the others I found photo's of around Birmingham, I searched the web and found a photo of one in Manchester that was of that design.
I also wonder if the radio aerials on the top are of any significance.
VM

"Cats are a mysterious kind of folk. There is more passing in their minds than we are aware of." Sir Walter Scott

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#30 by mikejee , Thu May 13, 2010 9:38 am

I went to a lot of areas in birmingham. I did also take some of the black country, but I can't see, at that time, it being there. I think the most likely ones are the Adderley road ones. It definitely wasn't Manchester.
Mike

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Brummagem Sayings

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor