Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Steam Canal Boat

#1 by Deleted User , Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:39 pm

My lottie is alongside the canal.

Head a hooter and went to the fence and along came this lovely boat.I think it is owned by The Black County Museum and is the only steam boat left on the canal.

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures

RE: Steam Canal Boat

#2 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:43 pm

Denise

A very rare sight indeed today a working boat on the canal, most of them have been bought up and turned into holiday homes.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#3 by Sheldonboy , Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:36 pm

I have seen President, it's rare indeed, it's the last original steam Narrowboat in the country. Based I think at the Black Country Museum. I used to have holidays on the Olive Rose a NarrowBoat owned by Alan a guy I used to work for. President came past us on The Coventry Canal. It's a great sight.

I started out with nothing and Iv'e still got most of it left
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#4 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:46 pm

I'd love to go on a canal boat holiday, but my wife gets sea sick stepping over a puddle. Ever since we went to Jersey by ferry one year and it was a rough crossing I have trouble getting her on water of any sort. You wouldn't believe the trouble I had getting her on the ferry the last time we went to the IOW.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#5 by Deleted User , Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:49 pm

really enjoyed seeing her

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures

#6 by Sheldonboy , Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:59 pm

Posted by phil
I'd love to go on a canal boat holiday, but my wife gets sea sick stepping over a puddle. Ever since we went to Jersey by ferry one year and it was a rough crossing I have trouble getting her on water of any sort. You wouldn't believe the trouble I had getting her on the ferry the last time we went to the IOW.

Phil

Phil you would have to go some to get Sea Sick on a Narrow Boat. They only travel at 3-4 mph. For example we did a cruise from Brum to Wigan Pier. It took two weeks. The weather was fabulous and the only hardship was trying to keep the beer cold.

I started out with nothing and Iv'e still got most of it left
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#7 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:37 pm

Posted by Sheldonboy

Phil you would have to go some to get Sea Sick on a Narrow Boat. They only travel at 3-4 mph. For example we did a cruise from Brum to Wigan Pier. It took two weeks. The weather was fabulous and the only hardship was trying to keep the beer cold.

You tell my wife that, she only has to look at water that hasn't got fairy liquid in it and she gets sea sick. There is also the added fact that she can't swim and is therefore terrified of being on water.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#8 by signman ( deleted ) , Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:40 pm

Nice photos Denise.
I like the way they have used the port hole for the O in Fellows, and they have omitted the T in LTD.

signman

#9 by Deleted User , Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:15 pm

Never noticed that John

#10 by mikejee , Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:55 pm

Very nice pictures Denise. Have seen the President in steam at the museum, but not moving on the canal.

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#11 by Deleted User , Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:53 am

You never know when you are going to have a picture opportunity.Felt like a kid when he blew the hooter,wanted to jump up and down and cheer LOL bu.t settled for a Good Afternoon greeting .

Must be quite a skill to steer the one at the back.

#12 by Voltman , Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:55 am

SB, as one who doesn't know what sea sickness is like, not even in Force "Off the scale" gales, I have to speak from second hand experience.
The speed isn't important it's the rocking motion. I would think that there must be a fair degree of side to side rolling on a barge and that's what puts the brain out of synch with the inner ear. seeing one motion whilst feeling another.
VM

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

http://brummiestalking.org.uk/ [Spacer]

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 09.22.2011 | Top

#13 by signman ( deleted ) , Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:05 am

I'm another lucky one who doesn't get sea sick,spent 24 hours on the North sea once in a force ? gale and was the only one that went up for breakfast even a lot of the crew were sick, think that's what put my eldest daughter of ships for life, she won't even walk across the boards on the pier because you can see the sea through the gaps.

signman

#14 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:05 am

I remember one sea crossing coming back from Jersey where the sea was so bad that they had to close the toilets 3 times because of everybody throwing up in there, they were awash. I thought it was great because all the bars and restaurants were empty and there was no waiting. I think this was the journey that turned my wife against travelling on the water.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#15 by Voltman , Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:28 am

My first experience on water was a ferry from Liverpool to Belfast with my boss, who was also a diver. He warned me that even if I didn't get sick I probably wouldn't feel too good because of others chucking up all over the place. It got so rough that we couldn't enter Belfast for about 12 hours but all I remember is the crashing of masses of crockery in the bars and restaurant and seeing the damage to a lot of the cars when we went down to disembark.

You would think they hadn't been expecting any sort of weather, they certainly weren't very well prepared. Not long after that there were some ferry disasters, simple errors like leaving the back door open, and I think the unsecured crockery was the warning sign.
VM

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

http://brummiestalking.org.uk/ [Spacer]

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Lorries

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor