If only......................

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

Last edited 08.09.2016 | Top

RE: LORRIES

#2 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:42 am

We always ran Bedfords TK's KM's & TL's. In forty years don't think we had any great problems with them. When near retiring my Uncle started looking for a vintage lorry to mess around with in his retirement. I could never work out why but he bought an Austin K2. I asked why he hadn't bought a Bedford and he just replied that he had seen enough of them. Mind you he was always more hands on with the transport than I.

Now if I had been inclined that way, then these are the sort of vehicle I would have been after.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

#3 by Sheldonboy , Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:08 am

When I worked at the pub I sometimes went with my mate. He drove a Mandator (AEC I think) It was the noisiest damn thing on the road. Although we were only about two feet apart we had to really shout at each other.

If only......................

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#4 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:50 pm

Before we had the LWB Rover pick up, we had a Commer Karrier tipper a little Bantam similar to the one in the photo. We used it like a pick up truck because it wasn't much bigger and couldn't carry much more of a load. Like Uncle Dave's vintage Austin we could carry it about on the back of one of the other trucks.

I thought it was a wonderful little truck and hated to see it go when we had the Land Rover.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
phil

#5 by Sheldonboy , Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:55 am

Phil I notice your Commer truck had the engine in the cab. Was it noisy some similar vehicles I have been in usually were?

Please spread the word about Brummies Talking

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#6 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:28 pm

SB

A little noisy depending on the insulation and age of the vehicle, but it was warm in the winter.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#7 by Voltman , Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:50 am

I used to drive around in a Commer Van.
It broke down once in a rainstorm due to water in the distributor. We just sat there in the dry while I took it apart and dried it out. The rain was running like a river under the van. We were away again in a few minutes and no one got wet.
VM

"Cats are a mysterious kind of folk. There is more passing in their minds than we are aware of." Sir Walter Scott

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#8 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:29 pm

We used to have a Commer Van as a crew vehicle. While they were quite a good tool, I could never get used to having nothing in front of me. The chap that drove it was like a maniac. I don't think he knew the meaning of the word fear. I have been sitting in the front of the van while he was driving up the motorway at 70 mp.h. less than a foot away from the vehicle in front. I could have leaned out of the side window and touched the vehicle in front. I travelled with him in the van as little as possible.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#9 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:04 pm

Perhaps being in the transport game for most of my life has turned me against lorries as unlike my uncle I have no great affection for them. Not even vintage ones as I have said before I think. But these are a different kettle of fish, its strange because trains, tractors and rollers hold no fascination for me. These however are just great.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
phil

#10 by Sheldonboy , Sat May 01, 2010 9:01 pm

Brilliant Phil I would imagine that they took someone special to drive them.

Arguing with an idiot is like teaching a pig to sing. It's a waste of your time, and it only annoys the pig!

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Taxis

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor