Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Cannon Hill Park

#1 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:44 am

Denise's mention of music at Beacon park on another thread reminded me of my recent visit to Cannon Hill Park the other day.

I still can't get over the fact that Birmingham Council can spend money renovating the old bandstand, but can completely ignore the Old Golden Lion letting it fall into greater disrepair.

Then they wouldn't spend a penny trying to renovate the old Hot House, but have spent a fortune renovating the MAC which is not a fraction of the age of the other two buildings and was in no danger of falling down.

I know I have said it many times before, but Birmingham Council have little respect for this Cities heritage and their way of dealing with anything that is old is to get rid of it.

Photos,

1. The recently renovated bandstand
2. The Golden Lion
3. The site of the old hothouse
4. The Brand New MAC centre

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil
Last edited Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:47 am | Top

RE: Cannon Hill Park

#2 by Stirling Single , Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:37 am

Phil,
I visited Cannon Hill Park last year and wondered why The Golder Lion has been left like that, now I know.
Is there any way that you could put forward a petition to have it restored or collect hundreds of signatures, in the park, to put in to the council.
I suppose, not as easy as all that until a few folk, that are interested, get to-gether and put an awful lot of effort into it, but I must say I hated to see it being in such a sorry state.
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single
Date registered 03.12.2011

RE: Cannon Hill Park

#3 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:40 pm

Lynn

I'm afraid that there are just too many buildings like this in Birmingham at the moment. One wouldn't know where to start making a fuss about. The thing is representations have been made in the past about this fine old building, the Council even put up a notice to allay the fears of the casual passer by (see the photo). The thing is the notice has been there three years to my knowledge. How long does it take to look into something?

The scaffolding around it is only a sham, its not even there to protect the public if it collapsed the security fencing will do that. if the scaffolding was there to protect the building it would be going through the building and it would be more supportive. It would also have a cover to protect it from the elements. As it stands I don't think it can last much longer before a catastrophic collapse.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil
Last edited Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:42 pm | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Rugby player died on pitch in last century in Birmingham

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor