Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Lost Cinema's of Brum

#136 by handlebar ( deleted ) , Fri May 27, 2011 7:20 pm

Both really. Having lived in the golden age of cinema when every district had at least one picturehouse and some two or more, I loved seeing the gaudy posters advertising the weeks offering and to be able to just spend an evening in an unfamiliar building was heaven. I'd pay my 9d (roughly 3 1/2 p) and enter my dream world. The smell of disinfectant (Jeyes Fluid) nearly knocked you flat but you weren't alone. The building would be well filled and if it was Friday/Sat/Sun you'd wait patiently to get in, probably getting soaked in the process. Often we'd get in part way through the film. How we ever made sense of it no-body knows but we did.

handlebar

#137 by Sheldonboy , Fri May 27, 2011 7:59 pm

I remember trying to get into The Tivoli Yardley, to see an A rated film I think it was. The woman in the Box office didn't believe I was Sixteen. I said "yes I am I go to work". So she asked me how much National Insurance I paid.

I started out with nothing and Iv'e still got most of it left
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#138 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri May 27, 2011 9:33 pm

SB

Had National Insurance come in to force when you started work?

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#139 by Sheldonboy , Sat May 28, 2011 8:33 am

Yes mate NI started just before I left the workhouse.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#140 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat May 28, 2011 10:31 am

I've worked in the workhouse.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#141 by Sheldonboy , Sat May 28, 2011 10:32 am

what as the slavedriver.[Silly Grin]

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#142 by Voltman , Sat May 28, 2011 11:18 am

Knocking it down from within, most likely.

CATS leave paw prints on your HEART.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/ [Spacer]

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#143 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat May 28, 2011 11:40 am

No this was a long time before the vandals (Council) started to demolish it piece by piece. We cleared all the rubbish from the cells in the workhouse and we cleared a room full of deceased peoples clothing from the old Infirmary that had never been claimed.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#144 by Sheldonboy , Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:00 am

That place would have made an incredible Museum. It could even have been hired out to make Fimls/TV.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#145 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:10 am

SB

It was never going to happen, I don't know if it is the City's motto "Forward" but as Chris Upton says in his History of Birmingham "At some time in the early 20th century Birmingham decided to abolish the past" In my estimation they have been working hard to achieve that end ever since.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

RE: Lost Cinemas of Brum

#146 by Voltman , Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:29 pm

Which workhouse is this then?

CATS leave paw prints on your HEART.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/ [Spacer]

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 02.21.2013 | Top

#147 by handlebar , Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:19 pm

Voltman, You took the very words out of my mouth. Would someone enlighten us?

handlebar  
handlebar
Date registered 06.01.2011

#148 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:18 pm

Have you two never heard of the workhouse and Infirmary that grew into Dudley Rd Hospital now known as City Hospital? A building of great historical interest which most of if not all has now been demolished. It was half way down Weston Rd off Dudley Rd opposite where Corona Pops used to be.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil
Last edited Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:58 am | Top

#149 by Sheldonboy , Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:50 pm

Posted by phil
SB

It was never going to happen, I don't know if it is the City's motto "Forward" but as Chris Upton says in his History of Birmingham "At some time in the early 20th century Birmingham decided to abolish the past" In my estimation they have been working hard to achieve that end ever since.

Phil

As you say Phil the Motto of our city is Forward. as far as some of our councillors are concerned, it should be "On Hold". The amount of our city that has been destroyed, or spoilt by rediculous Council decisions. I know the reference library always has been a horrible eyesore. Yes we needed a new one.But to build it in Broad Street, Dwarfing The Rep and Baskerville House should have been a hanging offence The design is atrocious it looks like a Foreign Legion fort covered in barbed wire.. I'm not making a party political statement here but my God we must have better contenders to make up our council than some of the shower that infest the council house at present.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#150 by handlebar , Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:15 pm

Not having been home for some years I haven't seen the new buildings but the architect probably designed the Gherkin in London, another (to me) monstrocity. Glass and concrete, concrete and glass mixed with no imagination or consideration for the surrounding buidlings. And how will they wear and what will they look like in 50 years time (if they 're still standing). I suppose it's all about money. Most things generally are. Look at the unseemly haste to go from film to digital so that we could all wear 3D glasses and live the action. But, unfortunately, the pictures are dim because the technology doesn't need projectionists anymore. The studios are coining it in because they don't need to make or transport or store costly heavy prints. But are the punters happy? According to todays reports they are shunning 3D. It's so easy to destroy something and put nothing better (or even as good) in it's place. Look at the old buildings in New Street and Colmore Row. Pleasant to the eye with their embellishments and creative patterns. Sadly, the wreckers of good taste don't all live in Birmingham. See what the city fathers have done to sections of Southend High Street. They neither care nor understand anything but cash. Progress marches on!!!

handlebar  
handlebar
Date registered 06.01.2011

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Gaiety Music Hall & Cinema

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor