Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Lost Cinema's of Brum

#121 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu May 19, 2011 10:52 am

John I smoked heavily all my life from the age of about 13, when I stopped at the age of 57 is was only because my doctor assured me that I wouldn't see 60 if I didn't stop smoking and drinking. I have to say that with what I am reading today about there being no discernible difference in heart & lung disease in the health service since people started quiting in droves I am not so sure I would give up today.

I always considered that reformed smokers were the worst for complaining about smoking in public places and I swore I would never be a pain in the proverbial about it. I have often thought about starting smoking again especially if it would help me lose weight because I'm sure the extra weight I am carrying around does me more harm than a few cigarettes.

As for smoking at bus stops, what happened to all these litter wardens that were big news a short time back couldn't they be utilised for this purpose at least it might stop them pouncing on people feeding the birds. The thing is we are going to find people who just love to flout the law in all walks of life not just smokers.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#122 by handlebar ( deleted ) , Thu May 19, 2011 8:46 pm

I just can't understand why anyone would want to put something in their mouths, set it on fire and suck it's smoke in. Not much consideration or concern for this fantastic creation called the body. By the way Phil, if you want to lose weight try weightwatchers. My wife's had to take it on board because of an earlier illness and she's lost over a stone. So have I. Worth every penny. By the way, does anyone know where I could get a photo of the inside of the Picture House, Harborne, or even an outside photo when it was actually a cinema. I've got a crap photo of it closed but it holds fond memories.

handlebar

#123 by Sheldonboy , Thu May 19, 2011 9:09 pm

As regards smoking I must agree with Handlebar. If anyone wants to smoke themselves to death that's their problem. If they want to burn their money, Do I give a toss...No.
The problems I have are "one" the smell. Smoking and smokers smell. End of.
Smokers are the worst litterers in the world, just look around at any bus stop. When a fag is finished with it, just bung it on the floor, oh that's after it is put out on the paintwork of the bus shelter.
If I am in a place where people smoke, that's ok it's my choice to be there.
If I am with someone who smokes, that's ok. Again it's my choice to be with them.
It's the inconsiderate who throw the empty packets on the floor or empty the ashtrays out of the car, sometimes when on the move, ask any motorcyclist. It's always been done so it;s ok. I could go on but everyone knows the story. SB

I started out with nothing and Iv'e still got most of it left
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#124 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu May 19, 2011 9:26 pm

Handlbar

I think I have posted the photos of the Picture House that I have, but I'll look around and see what I can find.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#125 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu May 19, 2011 9:57 pm

Handlebar

Have you read this Newsletter from the Harborne Society?

http://www.theharbornesociety.org.uk/mat...09/2002_a&b.pdf

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#126 by handlebar ( deleted ) , Sat May 21, 2011 5:46 pm

Phil,

I'm actually a member of the society. Out of the blue they sent me a very nice picture of the Royalty cinema (taken slightly further back from the one used on their magazine) and to my astonishment my home is shown with my old bedroom window way up the side wall. It bought back a lot of memories. Sadly, no-one seems to have any pictures of Harborne Picture House. The only one's that seem to exist were when it was up for sale. if only I could find one taken inside. Thanks for taking the time and actually finding something. Very much appreciated. Dave

handlebar

#127 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat May 21, 2011 6:02 pm

handlebar

I'm only sorry I couldn't come up with a photo for you, I have Victor Price's book on Birmingham Cinemas and the only photo in that is one of the cinema as a club. I used to have another book on Birmingham Cinemas by Christine Wilkinson & Margaret Hanson but I loaned it out as usual never to see it again. People just don't realise just how hard some of these books are to replace. This is why I do not lend them out any longer.

Take a look down your local library for the second book as there is a chance that what you are looking for may be in it, I have to be honest I cant remember if it is.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#128 by Sheldonboy , Sat May 21, 2011 6:39 pm

Posted by phil
handlebar

I'm only sorry I couldn't come up with a photo for you, I have Victor Price's book on Birmingham Cinemas and the only photo in that is one of the cinema as a club. I used to have another book on Birmingham Cinemas by Christine Wilkinson & Margaret Hanson but I loaned it out as usual never to see it again. People just don't realise just how hard some of these books are to replace. This is why I do not lend them out any longer.

Take a look down your local library for the second book as there is a chance that what you are looking for may be in it, I have to be honest I cant remember if it is.

Phil

Phil The Christine Wilkinson Mary hanson book' If you google it, it's available on Amazon.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#129 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat May 21, 2011 8:58 pm

SB

I looked have you seen the price of a new copy today, I think I paid about £8.99 for mine. It just goes to prove what I say about replacing these books and why I don't lend them out any more. I might buy a used one. The ones I've had from Amazon in the past have been very good. I just bought one about the town Hall that the books shops wanted £12.50 for, I got it from Amazon for 35p and I'm sure it was brand new.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#130 by Sheldonboy , Sat May 21, 2011 9:13 pm

Hope the info was of use sir.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#131 by handlebar ( deleted ) , Mon May 23, 2011 7:19 pm

Sheldonboy

Thanks for the info but I've actually got the book you mention as well as one titled 'The Dream Palaces of Birmingham' by Chris and Rosemary Clegg published in 1983 and 'Birmingham Cinemas' by Victor Price published in 1986. Sadly they all seem to use the same photos. It's amazing just how many cinema's there were in Brum in the fifties. Some really were bug huts but others were indeed palaces. So different to the souless 'plexes today with their single film offering. We little realised how well off we were with our three hour programmes. An era 'Gone with the Wind'.

handlebar

#132 by Sheldonboy , Mon May 23, 2011 7:31 pm

Hadlebar/Phil have you heard of this one SB

OLD CINEMAS
By Allen Eyles
SHIRE BOOKS

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#133 by handlebar ( deleted ) , Tue May 24, 2011 9:44 am

Sheldonboy

No, hadn't heard of that title though I'm very familiar with him through the Cinema Theatre association. He's written a series of books which take in, Odeon, Gaumont, ABC and Granada. They're all thoroughly researched and full of pictures (some in colour). He's probably written loads of other stuff over the years. Any details of the title you mention? Is it still in print?
Dave

handlebar

#134 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue May 24, 2011 11:04 am

Handlebar

You can get a copy here cheap enough new @ £1.75 plus delivery, I don't think I'll bother because I don't think it is limited to Birmingham Cinemas. Though if you get a copy please tell me if I'm wrong.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss...nemas&x=23&y=15

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#135 by Sheldonboy , Thu May 26, 2011 8:44 pm

Handlebar
How long have you been into Cinema's, Were you interested in the films first or the buildings. SB

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Gaiety Music Hall & Cinema

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor