Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Royal Wedding Costs

#1 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu May 12, 2011 1:00 pm

Can anyone who says that any costs of the royal wedding in this country were more than offset by the extra tourism and marketing that generated explain this.

According to what I am reading today the cost to British industry was about £6 billion which was slightly offset by the £1 billion raised from the extra tourism generated and from marketing of souvenirs. These figures do not include any costs to the taxpayer for the wedding itself, security, crowd control or anything else associated with the wedding.

Even my rudimentary mathematics tells me that this produces a loss of over £5 billion. Just what we need when we have a government that is cutting all our services in the hunt to save money. Here was a prime example of over £5 billion that could have been saved.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

RE: Royal Wedding Costs

#2 by Deleted User , Thu May 12, 2011 8:47 pm

Humbug Phil[Hammer Head Blue]

#3 by Sheldonboy , Thu May 12, 2011 8:49 pm

Posted by denise
Humbug Phil[Hammer Head Blue]

I agree D[Hug]en

I started out with nothing and Iv'e still got most of it left
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#4 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu May 12, 2011 9:23 pm

So you would rather we waste £5 billion because of an over privileged couple. when some of it could have been diverted to be spent on new hospital machines or treatment to save children's lives. Because that is what the tax on that £5 billion lost to British Industry could have done.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#5 by Deleted User , Thu May 12, 2011 9:36 pm

Phil my old friend,I find that argument does not really hold water.

Every penny you have spent on luxury in your life should have gone to the needy???

No booze,meals out,holidays?Why did you not send the money to the local hospital instead.

I aint saying anymore.

#6 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu May 12, 2011 9:57 pm

No but what I am saying is a good proportion of the tax I paid went toward our hospitals and I don't begrudge a penny of it. By making another bank holiday so celebrate their wedding our industry lost £6 billion and that is not counting the millions that the wedding cost the tax payer (but thats beside the point).

So I reckon out of the £6 billion there would have been at the very minimum £1 billion tax deducted in one way or another, enough to pat for at least one fully equipped hospital I would think.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#7 by mikejee , Fri May 13, 2011 12:18 am

I think you are being a little unfair to Phil, and he is exaggerating a little. As i see it, the loss of working time through the bank holiday is not as great as is implied. Nowadays an awful lot of people get a holiday entitlement of som many days, INCLUDING BANK HOLIDAYS. Certainly i don't think anyonw at Cadburys (irrespective of Kraft - before anyone comments) will have got an extra day, as it will be included in their total holiday entitlement. Maybe some factories will have closed for that day, but there will have been plenty of opportunity for the time to be used for essential maintanance (to be carried out by sensible people like Phil & I, who couldn't care a toss about the wedding).
There is also one good point to the wedding . For centuries the royal family have been becoming more and more inbred , thus producing even more imbeciles like Andrew, Charles and Edward. The latest wedding does at least bring in some new blood and possibly some intelligence. If they were dogs these three "Princes" would been put to sleep out of kindness because of their problems, and to prevent them being a danger to decent human beings

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#8 by Sheldonboy , Fri May 13, 2011 5:31 am

Phil with regard to the Royal Wedding and the ridiculous figure of £6 billion cost. This cannot actually be quantified without canvassing every business in the country. This has been assessed by average man hours lost. Everyone had a great deal of notice of this event, and very few companies suffered because of it. companies such as the one I work for.
Most companies these days have computers and thanks to these, emailed orders keep coming in as do faxes. most people just ordered their requirements in advance. Our company lost no orders or money on this day in fact we saved a day on the power bill. Many other companies would have been the same.
Yes we lost a days production, but a days worth of production wasted no. For the week before and the week after we turned out the expected average production.
This wedding was a shot in the arm for the kudos of this country with our profile around the world was lifted even if just only for a day or two.
If we are to speak about finance and wastage I suggest insults are pointed about our over generous, money creaming politicians. I suggest we look at the £45 million that we pay into Europe every day. We never even had a vote on that.
We should look at £650 million pounds (in just one payment ) to schools in Pakistan when our schools are being cut.
We should look at generations of MPs who have milked the expenses, we will never know how long this has gone on and to what degree.
The international profile of our country has never been lower. With our ill conceived ideas about being the words policeman and fighting wars that this country cannot win and certainly cannot afford. Apart from putting just about anyone and anywhere in this country even more in the terrorists target sights.
We do dot have anyone in this country who is capable of governing it at this moment. So please don't expect your money or mine to be spent wisely.
As I said previously production hours were lost, Not production in most cases. also it should be remembered that Britain lags behind most of the rest of Europe in terms of bank Holiday days allowed. This has helped to redress the balance if only for one day. SB

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#9 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri May 13, 2011 11:27 am

Sorry SB

I will always back the working man in any argument, but It's my personal opinion that there are too many Bank Holidays so that last thing this country needs is more for any reason. As for the figures I quoted being wrong I suppose it is a possibility but they could have only been quoted from a government source who would be the last ones to want us to think that money had been wasted. So if anything I would suggest that they had been underestimated.

I like Mike's analogy about the Princes and dogs, but I would include the whole family. Perhaps Harry should have married Kate at least then we would have been sure of some new blood in the Royal Family in one part of it.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#10 by Sheldonboy , Sat May 14, 2011 6:01 pm

As for the figures I quoted being wrong I suppose it is a possibility but they could have only been quoted from a government source who would be the last ones to want us to think that money had been wasted. So if anything I would suggest that they had been underestimated.

I think we will never agree on this one Phil, but as no one is sure of the source of these figures it's not right surely to guess that they are right or wrong up or down. But make no mistake no-one will ever change a my life time of Loyalty. I thoroughly believe that everyone has a right to their beliefs. This is mine, you have yours.. SB

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#11 by Sheldonboy , Wed May 25, 2011 10:01 pm

[Police Truncheon]

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Kathy Kirby

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor