Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Early or Late Retirement?

#1 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:25 pm

The writing is on the wall for retirement at 65, that’s if Ian Duncan Smith gets his way. He says that “Most workers want to work on when they reach 65”. It seems that he has the age of 70 in mind for retirement for most of us. He insisted that higher life expectancy meant people should, and usually want to work for longer before taking their pension.

Whilst I agree that some especially those of his ilk who have never had to do a day’s hard work in their lives might want to work on, but there are others that who are just not capable or just might not want to. Perhaps they might want to spend the autumn of their lives enjoying their family.

In my opinion it should be left to each individual to choose for their selves and those who choose not continue on should not receive any financial penalty for doing so.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

RE: Early or Late Retirement?

#2 by mikejee , Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:40 pm

I would agree Phil. Duncan Smith, like all politicians, says what is necessary for him to come out on top (see, from 2001 admittedly) http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/pol...ith-630691.html

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#3 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:50 pm

I've always thought that IDS was a bit of a waffler, to be honest I don't think the Tory's have a concerted party policy because if they have then a lot of them don't seem to know what it is. I note that George Osborne when quizzed on his budget didn't seem to know a lot about its make up. I note also that he didn't even mention the cuts the the pensioners heating allowance and it was hidden away in the budget report paper. I suppose after his illustrious leader had promised that the heating allowance would be safe he hadn't got much choice. George the smart thing to do would have been to leave it alone.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#4 by Deleted User , Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:31 pm

We need to retire to let the kids climb the tree.

Don't know where all these jobs are supposed to be.

#5 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:22 pm

Posted by denise
We need to retire to let the kids climb the tree.

Denise

The only flaw with that thinking is that when we retire, they do away with the job so its no longer there for our kids.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#6 by Voltman , Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:54 am

"Our" kids won't want the job anyway, cos the snot nosed big shits will have been to university and think they are better than us.

CATS leave paw prints on your HEART.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/ [Spacer]

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#7 by Deleted User , Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 am

Yes the old order has gone I think.Gone are the days when someone would retire and everybody shuffled up the ladder.Experience not recognised and valued.I know when Jim was made redundant a few of the younger ones said at his leaving do they relied on Jim to explain and check their work and would miss him,sadly now a few years later the whole office has gone anyway.

Glad I am not starting out now.

#8 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:22 am

Denise,

Experience counts for nothing these days. Most businesses are so fleeting. They set up make a few bob, go bankrupt and start another business doing the same thing. The only people that suffer are they employees and the suppliers because after the Revenue and Vatman have taken their share there is nothing left. I've always thought that it is wrong that some organisations get preference in cases of bankruptcy.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#9 by mikejee , Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:21 pm

Phil
I'm afraid I think people are , nowadays, let off too lightly with bankruptcy. I realise the necessity of giving someone another chance, but consider it criminal tha companies are allowed to set up subsidiaries that they cna trhen let go bankrupt[ gom into administration or whatever, leaving the maion company owing nothing and creditors losing out. The main company should be responsible for all debts of its subsidiaries.

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#10 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:44 pm

Mike

Over the years we must have had at least half a dozen go bankrupt on us. Anybody can get into financial trouble, we sailed a bit close a few times ourselves, but some just take the..... micky. We even had one company placing orders with us knowing that by the time we did the work they would be unable to pay because by then they would have filed for voluntary insolvency. We had another company who went limited to protect themselves before they went bump. We complained at the insolvency meeting that they hadn't told anybody they were changing to a limited company as it might have made a difference to the amount of credit we allowed them, We were told that we should have noted that our last payment cheque from them was from M******s Co Ltd. Who the hell looks at the name on cheques all you do is look to see if the amount is right.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Army Cuts

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor