Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Birmingham Book

#1 by signman ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:30 am

I bought this book when I was in Brum last week, I can highly recommend it.

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
signman
Last edited Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:11 pm | Top

RE: BIRMINGHAM BOOK

#2 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:03 am

John

Just ordered it from Amazon for £7.74 inc postage, Mike if you haven't got it they still have some left. John I hardly ever buy new books now and the only ones I have new are gifts. Besides I have never had a book from Amazon that wasn't as good as new.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#3 by signman ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:19 am

Phil, fully agree with you, have bought loads from Amazon, but saw this and just bought it on impulse.

signman

#4 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:46 am

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

John

I know its a bugger, but I have learnt to control myself now when I'm out and I see a book that I just must have. I just tell myself if I wait until I get home I will probably get it for half the price, then nothing annoys me more than finding I can't get a copy off Amazon. Though I can generally fond one on abesbooks or ebay.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#5 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:43 am

John

The next time you are in Brum I would take you book back and ask for a refund, The recommended price is only £9.99 the bookseller stuck that £12 tag over the original price. Mine arrived this morning by post and I am very pleased with it. It doesn't look as if it has been opened , the corners are a little rumpled but I think that has been done in the post.

I will give it my full attention later this evening, but a quick glance through shows that it contains many of the buildings that we worked on over the years so it will be like renewing old acquaintances.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil
Last edited Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:43 am | Top

#6 by signman ( deleted ) , Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:48 am

Phil I know, it was Waterstones in the old Times building, couldn't be bothered when I found out ,but sent a nasty e-mail, I'm still waiting for a reply.

signman

#7 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:58 am

John

That is really a strange thing for a big company like Waterstones to do, I have often heard of books being marked down by them but never up. I wonder if it was done in error?

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#8 by mikejee , Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:51 pm

Phil
The Waterstone's website gives a RRP of "12.50 reduced to £11.30
( http://www.waterstones.com/waterstoneswe...dFormSubmit.y=7 ). Amazon now have the same. It must have just gone up. Amazing how the exchange rate (and company profits) can affect things !
Mike

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

Last edited 03.21.2011 | Top

#9 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:57 pm

Mike

If it was a reprint I could understand that, but John's is obviously from the last reprint run in 2007 because they covered up the price with the new tag, so how can they put that up? How do they justify a 25% increase anyway?

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil
Last edited Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:58 pm | Top

#10 by Voltman , Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:39 pm

Just keep watching the Amazon price, chances are it will dive down occasionally before going up to some silly price for awhile.
I keep a massive list of things I want but am in no hurry to buy, they all sit in my Amazon basket (saved for later) and when I get price change notifications I look to see if anything has taken a dive, if it has gone cheaper than ever and is cheap enough I buy it.

CATS leave paw prints on your HEART.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/ [Spacer]

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#11 by signman ( deleted ) , Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:07 am

Just had Waterstones reply, here it is in full.

Ref: 196205

Dear J. Knight,

I write in response to your email of the 21st March regarding your purchase at the Birmingham High Street store.

I have spoken to the Purchase Order Management Team and an investigation has shown that while the publishers have raised the price of the title, they have persisted in sending out the old £9.99 priced stock, with £12.50 stickers affixed to them. We are in the process of rectifying this problem and are very sorry for any confusion and inconvenience that has been caused.

While this stickering process is within the publisher’s legal rights, as a gesture of goodwill, we would be happy to arrange for your local store to refund you the extra £2.51 if you would like to visit at a time of your convenience with your receipt and a copy of this email. If you would let me know which store you would prefer to visit, I will pass on your details to the management team.

We’re grateful that you took the time to contact us, as it allows us to resolve issues we would otherwise be unaware of.

Thank you for choosing to shop with Waterstone’s and for bringing this matter to our attention.

Kind regards,

Amber Gibney
Waterstone’s Store Experience Team

-----Original Message-----
From: Waterstones.com Customer Service [mailto:aqpf91@dsl.pipex.com]
Sent: 21 March 2011 14:39
To: Store Experience
Subject: Waterstones Customer Service CaseID#453292#

Home I Newsletter sign-up I Store finder

Customer Service Free UK delivery*
New titles Coming soon Bestsellers Offers eBooks Used books Events Waterstone's Card

I recently (08-03-11) bought the PEVSNER ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE to
BIRMINGHAM, in your High Street, Birmingham branch, upon looking on the
back I was surprised to find that you had put a £12 .50 sticker over the
original price of £9.99, I was back in Brighton before I noticed, so
could not complain in person, I do not like to be ripped off, and will
not be using your store again.
J. Knight.

Received by online 21/03/2011 11.47
Customer email address: aqpf91@dsl.pipex.com

Help

My account

Waterstone's Card

Contact us
FAQs

About Waterstone's Delivery information Privacy policy Terms and Conditions Contact us

To view your order, please sign in at: Waterstones.com/myorders

For any customer service enquiries,visit: Waterstones.com/help

Waterstone's Booksellers Limited. Registered Office Address: Capital Court, Capital Interchange Way, Brentford, Middlesex TW8 OEX. Registered in England, Registration No:610095

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 10.0.1204 / Virus Database: 1498/3520 - Release Date: 03/21/11

signman

#12 by signman ( deleted ) , Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:35 am

I have just e-mailed them declining their offer, but thanking them for their response.

signman

#13 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:46 am

John

They probably sent you the email being fully aware that nobody would bother making a special journey to their local Watertones to claim £2.50. A more convenient way to resolve it would have been to send you a credit note whick could have been discounted off your next purchase.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil
Last edited Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:04 pm | Top

#14 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:03 pm

Now this is not a recommendation for a book, but rather the opposite. I have just borrowed a book from the public library as I often do these days before I buy to see if it is worth buying. The book is a photographic history of Balsall Heath through Time by Val Hart. It retails I believe at £14.99, in my opinion vastly overpriced. In the book there are roughly 60 older photos of Balsall Heath, 60 modern views of the same scenes. Then there are 25 pages (50 photos) of modern times such as the Tornado and Balsall Heath Carnivals.

Now you might not think that is too bad, but 39 of the old photos have been used in other books and 24 of the 60 only show bombed or derelict scenes and I don't think that any of them show any of the former glory or beauty of Balsall Heath. What is it with the People of Balsall Heath now why must they keep harping on about how good it is now. Why won't they admit that it was good back in the 40's 50's & 60's. Why keep churning out rubbish books like this. Well I for one won't be buying it.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#15 by signman ( deleted ) , Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:24 pm

Phil, it annoys me when these people bring these books out claiming to be new , and all they are is a re-vamped and often re-print with a new cover, where do they nick all the photos from, elsewhere as you know, coniving ,cheating so and so's masquerading under the title of historian etc.
Rant over.

signman

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
History in Maps

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor