Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

It's about time this was looked at

#1 by Sheldonboy , Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:47 am

THIS WASTEFUL MADNESS HAS TO STOP

Division over European Commission fish discards ban bid
The Scottish Fishermen's Federation made a warning over discards
Plans to ban discards, where fish are thrown back in to the sea by fishermen who have used up their EU catch quota, have caused division.
Europe's Fisheries Commissioner Maria Damanaki is expected to announce the plan.
Bertie Armstrong, chief executive of the Scottish Fishermen's Federation, said discarding was "abhorred" but a ban would be a "knee-jerk" reaction.
However, Conservative MEP Struan Stevenson welcomed the proposals.
Trawlermen have to discard fish if they have already met their EU quota.
Recent publicity, including Channel 4's Fish Fight featuring chef Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, has brought the issue to the fore.
Mr Armstrong said discarding was "the result of flawed regulations that actually requires for fish to be discarded in order to stay within the law".
Continue reading the main story

Start Quote
Imposing a discards ban that fails to take into account the complex operational environment of mixed fisheries that the Scottish fleet operates in could have very serious consequences”
Bertie Armstrong
Scottish Fishermen's Federation
He said: "The proposal from EC Fisheries Commissioner Maria Damanaki for a discards ban amounts to a draconian step too far.
"It is a knee-jerk response to populist TV coverage which has accurately described the problem, but which offers no solutions.
"The European industry despises discards, but there must be a more sensible and coherent approach.
"There is the real danger that the commissioner's proposals will undo all the innovative work that has been carried out in recent years by the Scottish fishing fleet in reducing discards."
He said this had included the use of more selective nets, and closed fishing areas.
Mr Armstrong said: "Imposing a discards ban in the near future that fails to take into account the complex operational environment of mixed fisheries that the Scottish fleet operates in could have very serious consequences for a vitally important economic sector that supports many communities around our coasts."
'Sustainable livelihood'
Scottish Fisheries Minister Richard Lochhead said: "Scotland has worked tirelessly to put the issue of fish discards on to Europe's radar and we have led the way in seeking workable solutions.
"I welcome that a process is finally under way to address the problem, even though it is deeply regrettable that Scottish knowledge will be lacking from this meeting.
"My concern now is that the EU will repeat the mistakes of the past and put in place more ill-fitting and heavy-handed legislation that won't solve the problem of discards, but make things worse."
Mr Lochhead added: "A blanket ban on discards wouldn't be effective, or enforceable in any practical way, while further limits on the time boats can spend at sea only encourages high-value stocks to be targeted and caught quickly, instead of more selective measures that protect vulnerable stocks."
Mr Stevenson, a Tory MEP, said: "Commissioner Damanaki should be congratulated for tackling the discards issue in such a decisive way.
"Now we need to see how a new 'land-all' policy can be implemented, which must be designed to protect fish stocks, while at the same time enabling our fishermen to have a sustainable livelihood."

I started out with nothing and Iv'e still got most of it left

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

RE: It's about time this was looked at

#2 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:03 am

I don't know anything about the commercial fishing industry being a midlander and living practically as far from the sea that you can in this country. There is a thought that I have about this process. If I know human nature you can bet it's only the fish that sells too cheaply that gets thrown back. This being so, a lot more than necessary is thrown back and the reason it is thrown back dead is because it takes so long to sort it out.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#3 by Sheldonboy , Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:05 pm

No Phil any fish over the specified amount of any species cannot be landed. The Skippers of these boats would be fined thousands of pounds.

I started out with nothing and Iv'e still got most of it left

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#4 by Voltman , Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:08 pm

They should let them land the catch without penalty but make good use of the fish, whilst making it an offence to tip fish back in.

CATS leave paw prints on your HEART.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/ [Spacer]

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#5 by signman ( deleted ) , Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:09 pm

SB is right, Iwatched a dcoumtary about this a couple of months ago, it's criminal what they have to abide by.

signman

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Whos in Charge?

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor