Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

You Don't Need A Spare Bedroom, But I've Got Four

#1 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:23 pm

The Architect of the bedroom tax who says that people should be moved out of the home they have lived in probably all of their life if they now have a spare bedroom that isn't being used. Did you know that he lives in a rent free house with four spare bedrooms? OK I know it's not a council house, but you think that he would downsize to a two bedroom flat or something similar, because living where he does he just looks like he is giving those he is going to displace the finger.

phil
Last edited Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:44 pm | Top

RE: You don't need a spare bedroom, but I've got four

#2 by mikejee , Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:29 pm

And he should be forced to travel by bus and train (standard class only), and no servants to carry his luggage and the brown paper envelopes he collects. As most of his visits anywhere are mainly in aid of his party, not decent people, all travel should be paid for by the conservative party

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#3 by tca , Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:38 pm

phil i have have answer for you !! and you will make beer money, in OZ we have a problem with illegal migrants, we have special rules they have to set foot in australia before they can be considered as refugees, so we have ships and aircraft buzzing around the top end of OZ, we then head em off at the pass so to speak, the we dump them on the pacific island - Nauru, Manus ect and then try to forget about them, trouble is the islands are getting full and we are having a problem getting other islands to take them, so the government has a new idea, we take the old refugees from the island and give them temorary visas - then dump the new ones on the island'

this is where u come in, the goverment is paying people with spare rooms an nice little earner to house the refugees - so until every spare room is filled the government is happy to pay out, so theres your opening three rooms each with 4 bunks - mate you can live the live of riley

tca
Date registered 11.27.2012

#4 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:58 pm

tca

I don't think you have quite got the idea, if you have a spare bedroom and you live in social housing then the government wants you to give it up to bigger families. It's a well established fact that white European families have only an average of 1.8 children unless you are Roman Catholic. So it doesn't take much working out where the houses will be allocated.

If they ever try this with private housing stock, then my bedrooms will get bigger overnight when I remove the dividing walls.

phil

#5 by astoness , Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:36 pm

Quote: phil wrote in post #4
tca

I don't think you have quite got the idea, if you have a spare bedroom and you live in social housing then the government wants you to give it up to bigger families. It's a well established fact that white European families have only an average of 1.8 children unless you are Roman Catholic. So it doesn't take much working out where the houses will be allocated.

If they ever try this with private housing stock, then my bedrooms will get bigger overnight when I remove the dividing walls.

hi phil...i think this is a bad idea and can only cause problems...its just another way of making money....so long as you can afford to pay the extra bedroom tax you are allowed to stay..i can only imagine that birmingham city council will in time be inundated with people making applications for a smaller home because they cant afford the extra bedroom tax and i then have to wonder just where will they find these smaller homes...

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 04.02.2013 | Top

#6 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:56 pm

To be honest I don't think that any of us understand quite how this will work. So forgive me if I get this wrong, as far as I can make out it will only effect those on housing benefit that live in social housing. The money will be collected by a reduction in benefit, so what it is in fact is another ploy to reduce benefit by an idiot who says he could live on £53 a week benefit.

We have seen reporters and politicians do this before and run out of money before the end of the week and they made no provision for ongoing expenses such as replacing clothes, bedding, haircuts and other such things that you don't need on a weekly basis.

phil

#7 by astoness , Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:08 pm

yes phil think you have it about right...

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 04.02.2013 | Top

#8 by tca , Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:47 pm

phil, i knew where u were going just teasing - i never understood that poll tax thing you had, i have nephew who has a house he rents out, and doesnt get much help for government, here if you buy a house to rent and have a mortgage the interest you pay is a tax deduction, plus everything u spend - council rates , maintannce all are tax deductions - this way it encorages people to buy more houses (provides work for builders and injects money into the economy) and means theres more housing stock for rental, also mean there is little need for council houses, we have some but not many, just a different perspective i guess

tca

#9 by mikejee , Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:54 pm

I'm afraid that has already happened (people buying houses to rent out) in the uk), without any tax breaks. All that has meant is that the prices of smaller houses has soared so that normal young people can't afford to buy, and the free land available the builders are hoarding to push up the price of land further, so they can make even more profits. Your scenario would work where there is plenty of land to build on, but the uk is a bit (!!) smaller than oz

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#10 by tca , Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:09 pm

hi mikegee, yes i see that, I sold a house i had in oxford in 2002, it went up quite quickly just after but since came back quite a bit, i think its not just the land, we do have lots and lots with a small population, but we dont have as much red tape in terms of heratage, lets face it there not much around before 200 yrs ago.

tca

#11 by mollymandysb , Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:27 pm

hi all this does not apply to me as i am a pensioner but i was going to pay the difference. up until i finished work i paid my full rent and brought my two kids up and sent them to uni, however after working all those years without any benefits i still have to apply for housing benefit. i have advised some people to go to see a solicitor and say they want a seperation this way they will have to have a bedroom each. i understand one council has re-designated some of their flats in that they are saying they are one bedroomed with two lounges. this could work. i do agree the benefits should be looked at 'cs as we all know and feel it when we are working and paying our taxes and getting nothing in return that some people are living on benefits - not well as the children seem to suffer, but where are the jobs for people to do. for example if you v been working and then lose your job through no fault of your own and living in a council house you have to go on benefits and look for a job, i feel for these people because jsa is not a lot and to have to pay for extra bedrooms is ridiculous.

steph

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb
Date registered 08.11.2011

#12 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:01 pm

To be honest Steph I don't know too much about this because honestly I tend not to read up too much on things that do not affect me directly any more because it only raises my BP and thats not good for me. Though you raising the subject of JSA has set me thinking. Is this not a right that you are entitled to for the first so many months of unemployment? Therefore surely this bedroom tax would not be applicable as it is contribution based as indeed sick pay would not be either even if you were in receipt of a rent / rate rebate?

phil
Last edited Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:02 pm | Top

#13 by tca , Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:41 am

when i first read the post on the bedroom tax subject I thought it funny, bit like the old window tax when they used to brick up windows to save tax, but after reading the last few posts i find it quite scarry, particularly for old folk - i have great sympamty for those that will be affected, we dont have much social housing here but they do have rules simlar, so as to free up larger homes of single people, but i think its more of a please move rather than a must move or tax thing,

tca

#14 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:46 pm

tca

The main problem is, that they just don't have the housing stock to move these people into. So it's really a money saving exercise on the part of the government. Many of the older people who's families have grown up and left home no longer want to live in large houses and have been on waiting lists for years to move to one bedroom bungalows or such but all they get offered are two bedroom flats in high rises something like the 15th floor not the sort of place to put a pensioner.

phil

#15 by Sheldonboy , Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:07 pm

Phil as I have said many times before the people of this country are without a doubt, modern day peasants. Also without a doubt will always be treated as such.

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor