Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Keep the Home Fires Burning

#1 by Marion , Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:36 am

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/00073...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A moving and gripping drama as one family struggles to survive through the strains of the Second World War

The year is 1940 and Bill and Marion Whittaker live happily with their five children in a terraced house on Albert Road in Birmingham.

But when Bill enlists to fight in the Second World War, the family are plunged into poverty. Marion is forced to pawn all her worldly possessions and decides to take in two lodgers, Peggy Wagstaffe and Violet Clooney. These two lively girls bring some light relief to the family and bring with them Peggy's handsome brother Sam – who catches the eye of Marion's sixteen-year-old daughter, Sarah.

1944 and the war grinds on. Disaster strikes with an explosion at the local munitions factory, leaving Sarah badly disfigured. Then news arrives that Sam has been blinded in action. Can these two injured souls help each other to repair not only their physical but emotional scars? And will Bill return to the safety of family and home?

~~~~
bought and read this last year - not as good, in writing style, as Annie Murray (whose books, which are also B'ham based, I may post about if I get time), BUT, the historical detail, in a very readable book, especially for Brummies, is very good.
e.g. from this book I learned that there were air raid shelters under Aston Park tennis courts - something I never knew, and my mom seems to only vaguely remember.
But it also brings out how B'ham was used in the war re. munitions - and the dangers that brought, in making us a target, and more -

P.S. I DO recommend buying the used books on there (look at the ad to the right) as they are always fine, and much cheaper* than new - especially if you read a lot, like me, but don't have much dosh )
* always check out the postage comparisons for used books. if Amazon cover that it can sometimes be free

Marion
Date registered 02.20.2013

Last edited 02.24.2013 | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
TV Documentary About Queens Lost Cousins

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor