Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

TV Documentary About Queens Lost Cousins

#1 by mollymandysb , Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:12 pm

have just watched the above documentary - did anyone else see it, about the queens cousins that were locked away in a 'mental institution' without any of the royals acknowledging their existence.

very sad programme

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb
Date registered 08.11.2011

Last edited 01.16.2014 | Top

RE: t v documentary about queens lost cousins

#2 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:45 pm

Steph

Unusual for me in the fact that I watched some of it. I watched it late last night while in bed, I didn't see it all but I thought how typical of royalty. There were five of them (that we know of) in the Bowes Lyon family that were locked away out of public eyesight and that were never visited or acknowledged.

Is that any worse than the queens grandparents on her fathers side who kept a young prince out of the eye of the public just because he suffered from epilepsy.

Phil

phil

#3 by mikejee , Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:38 pm

Didn't George VI have a brother (or close relative) who was locked away because he was "delicate". that must have been the one you refer to Phil. As I understand it, , in this case he did have regular visits. Mind you if there were five of them , this is good evidence for the genetic undesirability of the aristocracy, as they just keep getting more & more inbred and less and less useful to the human race. Charles, Andrew & Edward are another good example

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#4 by Deleted User , Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:52 pm

This is all old news.Read about this years ago.Bloody disgace.

I take issue to the useful to society remark.

I have an Autistic Grandson who brings me and his family great joy............how useful is he supposed to be?

#5 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:10 pm

My wifes father had a sister who had the mental age of a five year old child all her life. My wifes Auntie Maisie, she never saw the inside of an institution in all her life. She lived out her life with her mother and then later with my wifes other aunt. She was 83 years of age when she died and never had an unhappy day in all her life.

Phil

phil

#6 by Sheldonboy , Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:46 pm

I have to say mu family has been eternally blessed. We have I understand had no disabled people in my family, except for a wonderful sister who lost her sight in recent years.
I have been a member of the Red Cross and a full time Barman. In my capacity as a Red Cross Ambulanceman I had the honour of working with some disabled people. Like most people I didn't know how to talk to them at first, but you soon get to know that you speak to most disabled people exactly how you speak to able bodied people. Some arn't so mobile as the rest of us but that certainly doesn't mean they havn't got a brain or feelings.
When I was a Barman the pub I worked in was very close to a Remploy works, and a Spastics Society factory and hostel (yes that's what it was called then ).
One day I was talking to a couple of the guys from "The Spastics factory" and I asked one them how he coped with his disabilty. Well he rounded on me and pinned me to the bar. He said get one thing straight pal WE ARE NOT DISABLED.....WE ARE DISCAPABLE. Having seen the struggles with getting around with one leg not working properly or an arm pointing in the wrong direction, muscle spasms at inconvenient times and some of the time in pain I wouldn't want to put up with. I can only say most of our so called disabled people are bloody Hero's.
Most of us have had a knock or an injury which has put us out of normal movement for an hour or a day or two. Imagine what it would be for all your life, from birth. SB

Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have spent most of life trying to save.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

Last edited 11.18.2011 | Top

#7 by Deleted User , Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:27 pm

Yes we are all different and some of us have to look out for the more vulnerable in our society.

#8 by Sheldonboy , Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:03 pm

Youv'e got that right Den, unfortunately Disabled people are disadvantaged occasionally by the idiots who drive cars with Disabled stickers just so they can park easily.
Also by The Lazy overweight gits Male and Female who drive about on mobility scooters just because they are too fat or Idle to walk. Any one who genuinely needs one of those things is more than welcome to one, I hope I never need one myself but I wouldn't consider one just for convenience.
Disabled people for instance cannot sometimes get on to a bus, even though the bus has a ramp and a wheelchair space, it's usually taken up by lazy people taking their buggies on board without folding them up. I see these quite often without any children or even with the child on the seat because the Buggy has been used to carry the shopping. SB

Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have spent most of life trying to save.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#9 by mikejee , Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:33 pm

I think most people today are sympathetic to those who are disabled. I have mentioned before my opinion of the few (and i think it is only a very small proportion), who are inconsiderate. Certainly the facilities for getting around have improved vastly. It must have only been about 4 or 5 years ago that I went with my mother through wolverhampton station. before the recent partial rebuilding. Then she could walk but found difficulty with large numbers of stairs, and we had to wait about 10 minutes while they found someone to open and work the goods lift for us as there was then no other facility for getting to and from the centre platform if one was disabled .

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member

#10 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:54 pm

My wife has a wheelchair and a buggy and a disabled sticker for the car, but never uses any of them unless she is feeling really unwell. This is the trouble with some disabled people, like my wife they have good days and bad days, but unlike my wife they still use these things when they have no need to. This is why you get people moaning about people with blue badges not being disabled.

Admittedly there are those that should never be given blue badges and they are misusing them, but this can only be down to the doctors who authorise them.

Phil

phil

#11 by Sheldonboy , Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:22 pm

I have no problem with any disabled person using anything at their disposal to help them. It's the people who do not need such help being a problem.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#12 by Sheldonboy , Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:22 pm

I have no problem with any disabled person using anything at their disposal to help them. It's the people who do not need such help being a problem.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#13 by Sheldonboy , Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:22 pm

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#14 by mikejee , Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:31 pm

But Phil. did you see the women on tv a few weeks ago. I think it was London, the council were doing checks, and the tv crew were inteviewing people who got caught. She said she was picking up her mother when told off and given a ticket. She came back with her mother in the car later saying she had just picked her up. They checked, and actually she had gone to the old people's home, dressed her mother, pushed her in the car and dragged her into town to try and get off the fine , unsuccessfully I'm glad to say

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member

#15 by mollymandysb , Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:23 pm

autistic children, downs children, they give such a lot of joy to the community and their families, in any way no one should in this day and age we put out of sight away from society and not have a visitor.

from doing fam history one of my relatives, lets see, my gggrandads son edwin, the last of the children (his mom must have been in her forties). edwin was born in 1869and on his birth certificate it stated 'idiot from birth', but he stayed with the family the whole time, even after his parents died he went to wales to live with his aunts and died in 1910.

however, another one of my grans sisters had epilepsy and was sent to a mental institution, this was int he early 1900s. she did move to a care home afterwards tho, my older cousins remember visiting her with their moms, so she had family visits.

steph

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb
Date registered 08.11.2011

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Wasting Police Time: The Crazy World of the War on Crime

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor