Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Iconic buildings of Birmingham, some still with us some now gone.

#91 by Sheldonboy , Sat May 01, 2010 8:59 pm

Yes New Street station was well built, I would imagine to take the constant vibration of the trains. But in my eyes as a building design from an aesthetic point of view it is as ugly as the reference library. SB

Arguing with an idiot is like teaching a pig to sing. It's a waste of your time, and it only annoys the pig!

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#92 by Voltman , Sat May 01, 2010 11:58 pm

Yes SB, quite right, another ugly unfinished lump of reinforced concrete we were supposed to accept as an archtectural success.
I bet the pillocks that designed and built it don't live in similar monstrosities.

Who in their right mind would finish a building in rough dirt catching surfaces in the middle of an industrial city?
VM

"Cats are a mysterious kind of folk. There is more passing in their minds than we are aware of." Sir Walter Scott

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 05.01.2010 | Top

#93 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun May 02, 2010 1:38 pm

SB & VM

I neither like or dislike these two buildings.Try looking at them with a 1960's perspective. New Street station for instance, once past the main entrance on Stephenson St there was no architectural merit to the station at all, other than it boasted the largest glass roof in England when it was first built.

As for the Library, I agree that the old building was more aesthetically pleasing than the new one. But it was too small for the City's needs, just as this one is now too small for our needs today.

Don't forget when these two structures were built concrete was king. There are many such concrete monstrosities all over England. They have even given listed protection to the lion & bear pens at Dudley Zoo.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#94 by Sheldonboy , Sun May 02, 2010 2:02 pm

I still don't like them

Arguing with an idiot is like teaching a pig to sing. It's a waste of your time, and it only annoys the pig!

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#95 by Voltman , Sun May 02, 2010 2:54 pm

Yeah, we don't like 'em and you can't make us.

"Cats are a mysterious kind of folk. There is more passing in their minds than we are aware of." Sir Walter Scott

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Last edited 05.02.2010 | Top

#96 by Sheldonboy , Sun May 02, 2010 3:04 pm

Don't worry VM, Phils just upset because he never got the job of demolishing them.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#97 by Voltman , Sun May 02, 2010 3:17 pm

He does interior works as well you know SB,...rips 'em I out believe.

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#98 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun May 02, 2010 4:27 pm

Ve haff vays of making you like zeese things, I shouldn't be saying that on a German owned site. They will be chucking us off. Don't mention the war.

Make Love, Not War

phil
Last edited Mon May 03, 2010 12:48 pm | Top

#99 by Voltman , Mon May 03, 2010 11:33 am

I did but I think I got away with it.

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#100 by Voltman , Wed May 08, 2013 4:11 pm

This website has a load of photographs taken around the town which although fairly recent are now quite historic.

Images of Birmingham

http://www.gutenberg.org/
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/
Latest Posts

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#101 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed May 08, 2013 5:05 pm

Volty

I think you will find that there are several of John's photos on the site already. In fact the ones I have used I have credited to him which is all he asks for the use pf his photos. John is to be congratulated for his very excellent collection and also his willingness to share the fruit of his labours.

phil

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Bert Hardy

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor