Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

St. Barnabas Church, Erdington

#1 by astoness , Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:11 pm

Some of you may have already seen this pic of the completed restoration of St. Barnabas after a fire about 4 years back...all I can say is beam me up Scottie. It's hidious.

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 02.13.2013 | Top

RE: ST BARNABAS CHURCH ERDINGTON

#2 by Deleted User , Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:19 pm

Totally agree.

#3 by Sheldonboy , Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:19 pm

While I was extremely sorry to hear of the sad arsonist attack at this church and pleased to hear that it was being restored. I am absolutely appalled at the design of the restoration job, as Lyn has already said It's Hideous. Maybe the parishoners are worshipping Aliens. Were the congregation consulted on the design before it was chosen. It looks as though it was a choice of builders between Bob the builder or The Muppets. They should vave left it to Bob I think.

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#4 by astoness , Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:41 pm

glad its not just me who thinks this way..i really thought that the church would have been restored with sympathy and respect but i guess the cost of employing good carpenters and using the best timber would have been to much to expect...who ever thought this one up must have taken leave of their senses...

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#5 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:44 pm

I'm afraid we have to blame the architects for trying to blend together two styles that were never going to gel. closely followed by their clients who obviously were talked into this. It couldn't possibly have been what they wanted. I have only one question to ask, was it cheap?

phil

#6 by lynne webb , Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:02 pm

Would that be the aisle, I cant get me bearings..

lynne webb
Date registered 10.05.2011

#7 by astoness , Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:11 pm

Quote: lynne webb wrote in post #6
Would that be the aisle, I cant get me bearings..

i think it would be lynne...ive heard of something old something new but out with the old in with the new is taking the michael in this case..

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#8 by astoness , Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:13 pm

Quote: phil wrote in post #5
I'm afraid we have to blame the architects for trying to blend together two styles that were never going to gel. closely followed by their clients who obviously were talked into this. It couldn't possibly have been what they wanted. I have only one question to ask, was it cheap?

probably cheaper that how i thought they would have restored the church phil...as i said in post 4 employing good carpenters and using the best timber was too much to expect...its just a joke..

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#9 by lynne webb , Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:17 pm

Will people in the street be able to see folk sitting in the pews. It's a bit goldfish bowl, so cheap and nasty looking...

lynne webb
Date registered 10.05.2011

#10 by mikejee , Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:57 pm

If it had been bombed in the war and repaired temporarily like that with makeshift materials , I think people would have said it wasn't bad as a temporary job

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#11 by astoness , Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:16 am

Quote: lynne webb wrote in post #9
Will people in the street be able to see folk sitting in the pews. It's a bit goldfish bowl, so cheap and nasty looking...

good point lynne....

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#12 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:47 am

Lets face it , with a straight roof and without the gun turret it wouldn't have looked as bad as it does. What have Architects got against straight lines these days?

phil

#13 by Sheldonboy , Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:38 pm

I still cant get my head round this rubbish, I with one of the parishoners had joined us to explain the descision on this job.

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#14 by breeze , Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:43 pm

My husband and I went shopping in Erdington yesterday,
To say we were shocked by St Barnabus Church ,would be an understatement ! WHAT An eyesore it looks terrible , awful almost obscene.

Who ever thought/designed/granted what amounts to a futuristic TIN TABERNACLE stuck between what was left of the beautiful old church should be ashamed !

Some of our comments were overheard by local people,not one person disagreed with us ,all stateing mostly in very flowery launguage thier dislike of the tin hut also

breeze  
breeze
Date registered 11.25.2012

Last edited 11.27.2012 | Top

#15 by breeze , Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:14 pm

tin hut [[File:imagestin hut.jpg]]

breeze  
breeze
Date registered 11.25.2012

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor